Heartache to Sing

Chapter 1

"Hey Gerard!" It was that cheery voice that I knew all too well. My boyfriend, Frank Iero. He was a closet gay until the end of 8th grade, causing us to keep our relationship a secret for a year. Everyone knew I was gay from the moment I stepped into middle school.
"Hey Frankie!" I responded in a tone just as cheery as I looked at his tattoos and lip piercing. His family didn't care what he did so he went right ahead and got himself inked. I could never do that because I was deathly afraid of needles and I admired him for getting so many, one including a scorpion tattoo up on his neck so high that he would never be accepted for a respectable job. But he had that covered, he played guitar in a band called Pencey Prep. Frank Iero would be a rock star.
"How was your day?" This was the first question he would always ask me every day at my locker, even though we still had three periods left.
"Fine. Just another normal day, I guess. Kramer keeps saying shit to me, the norm."
"Oh..." Frank's face fell. He hated it when people made fun of me, especially Eric Kramer, captain of the football team. He hated us 'fags'.
Frank's face quickly lit up as he said, "don't let him get to you Gerard! You're amazing and you know it. Fuck him, he doesn't understand the real world." He gave me a reassuring hug, not even bothering to look and see if anyone was watching. I smiled at him. He smiled back, "hey where's Mikey? He's not here today..."
"Uh, yeah he's not... I actually don't know where he is. Probably with his new girlfriend."
Michael James Way, known to everyone as Mikey (or the fag's little brother), was my younger brother, he was a year younger than me, making him a sophomore. He kept to himself and never went anywhere without his iPod. All he ever listened to was The Misfits and Anthrax. I admired my brothers music taste.
He also wore glasses, black leather boots, hoodies, skinny jeans, and a beanie that always covered his mousey-brown hair. He had depression and bad bipolar disorder, making him a ticking time bomb. He had a problem with self harm and was bullied for no reason. He wasn't the gay one.
"Well, I have to go to chemistry now... I love you." He kissed me and headed off towards room 113. Mr. Hughes' room.
Lucky... I thought. Mr. Hughes was the best teacher in the whole school and everybody knew it but as hard as I tried, I couldn't get my little brother off of my mind. He had gotten into a fight with my parents the night before and it sent him off the edge. I HAVE to find him.
I was worried sick as I left school early, claiming I had a headache, kids leaving due to a headache wasn't unpopular. Most of the time they were faking it just to get out of school and fuck their boyfriend or girlfriend, but I had a reason.
I walked out of the school going down Grant Boulevard, the street named after the founder of Grant High School (otherwise known as hell). It was cold and walking outside in the crisp winter weather really made me wish that I had brought a coat.