Heartache to Sing

Chapter 2

"Mikey!" I called out for my brother, knowing he wouldn't answer me. 'Where is he?' I thought. I was worried sick about him, knowing that he had access to so many things that he could use on himself.
I turned around and saw his girlfriend, Skylar, holding her phone, crying.
"Skylar!" I walked over to her. "What's wrong? Are you ok?"
She looked up at me with tears in her eyes, "It's Mikey..."
"What about him? Is he ok? Where is he?"
She took a shaky breath. "He just called me. He said he was done with everything, he just wants to die and he told me that's what he's gonna do. He told me that he was going to do it in the alley where no one would think to find him. He told me to tell you that he loves you and he's sorry that he's leaving you. Gerard, we can't let him do anything. We have to find him. It could already be too late..."
I stared at her in shock. I knew Mikey was suicidal but I never thought that he would actually go through with anything. I should've known by the way he left this morning that he was planning to do something to himself.
I grabbed her wrist and pulled her towards the only alley that I knew of, hoping it was the only alley that Mikey knew too.
"Mikey!" I called out. Still nothing.
"Oh my god!" Skylar screamed and ran over to my brother, who was laying in the snow, unconscious. "Mikey..."
I stared at Mikey, not able to move. I looked at his hands and saw a razor blade, his wrists and the snow around him was stained at brilliant shade of red that I knew all too well. "Skylar..." I walked up to her, she was kneeling over him; his blood was all over her hands and face but I knew she didn't care. "Is he... dead?"
She shook her head. "No, he's still breathing. But barely."
"Ok..." I pulled out my phone and called 911.
"911, what is your emergency?"
"Uh, yeah my brother just tried to kill himself, we're in the alley behind Joe's."
"Ok sir. Is there any way that you could get your brother out of the alley without causing further injury?"
I looked at Mikey. I realized that he had cuts his neck too. "Possibly."
"Ok, now are you and your brother the only ones in the alley or is there anyone else there?"
"His girlfriend's here." I replied. Skylar looked up at me, and that's when I saw that he had cut so much more than his wrists or his neck.
"Ok, was the girlfriend there when this happened? Were you there? Were you both there or was he alone?"
I pulled my gaze away from them. "No, he was alone. He wasn't at school today and I was worried so I went out looking for him but I saw his girlfriend, uh Skylar, she had her phone and was crying. I asked her what was wrong and she said that he had called her and told her goodbye.
"Yesterday, he got into a fight with our parents..." I looked at Skylar, I saw blood staining her glasses and blood on her clothes.
"Ok, well an ambulance is on the way. How old is your brother?"
"He's 15."
"Oh..." the woman replied. It pissed me off how she acted like it was a sin. She hasn't lived his life. He has it pretty bad. "Well what did he try?"
"He used a razor blade and cut himself really bad."
"Can you get him out of the alley?"
"Maybe..."
I heard the wail of the ambulance sirens, an unpleasantly familiar sound. "I can hear the sirens..."
"Ok, you can hang up now."
I did without hesitation. That bitch was really getting on my nerves.
I looked at the end of the alley and I saw the ambulance unloading three paramedics. I watched as they came running over to us.
Skylar stood up and watched the paramedics, two holding a stretcher, the other one holding a med bag.
They came over to us, "We got a call from someone saying their brother tried to kill himself?" the one with the med bag asked me.
"Yeah..." I responded.
"What's your name?"
"Gerard Way."
The paramedic seemed shocked by that. "Is this Mikey?"
"Yes..." I had no idea how he knew that.
Skylar walked towards the paramedic speaking to me. "Yes, this is Mikey. Mikey Way, Mikey fucking Way! Yes, he's tried to do this before. Now help him!"
I watched the men put Mikey on the stretcher gently and take him into the ambulance.
"Hey!" I ran up to the ambulance. "He's my brother and her boyfriend, now let us in."
They let us in and I watched as they carefully examined my brother on the way to the hospital.