The Poison

Suffocating Under Words of Sorrow (What Can I Do?)

The night is starting here we go

I check out everything

This is our time to lose control

What do you want from me?


"No way in hell are you going out tonight," my mom said through a glare. She placed her hands on her hips in pure anger. I watched from my place on the top step, looking down upon her like I was used to doing. "Not after what your school told me today. That girl ended up in the hospital, Jess."

I smirked in delight, cradeling my head with my soft palms. My eyes filled with demonic joy as I flared my nostrils. She deserved it. She touched me. Even my mom and Tyler knew better than to lay ever a finger on me.

"No, don't fucking smile, Jesse," she hissed, pointing an accusing finger. "I can't deal with this anymore. I made a phone call and I'm sending you off."

"The mental hospital again?" I scoffed with disinterest. "I don't mind that place a bit."

"No. I'm leaving this one to your father," she smiled.

"Fuck you!" I screamed shrilly. "No. I'm not going to him again. He treats me like shit."

"Maybe that's what you need right now," my mother said, her tone indicating that it was the end of our discussion. She walked back towards the kitchen, shaking her head in disbelief the whole way.

I screamed, sending a clenched fist to the wall. I flinched in pain, it being the same one I hit Nikki with. I pulled my hand out from the new hole and wiped the dust off my knuckles onto my pants, leaving a large smear across my thigh. I stood up and calmly walked to my room, keeping my complete and utter anger hidden until my door shut.

It only took moments for my bed to be flipped over, breaking a crack into my closet. "Fuck!" I shrieked loudly, my mouth filling with tears. I threw my head back and let my features fall as I cried harder than I would normally allow myself to. The thought of my dad made me nauseous. I fell on my knees, hunching over while I held my stomach. Vomit poured from my throat, burning the whole way out. I coughed a few times and spit on the carpet, tossing a pillow over the pile of puke. Enough was enough. My mom wouldn't be able to do a thing after tonight.

I hurried to my closet and pulled out my traveling bag. I unzipped it and threw it on my desk, tossing any clothes I could find into it. I read the clock in a hurry, reading 5:57. He should be here soon...

It only took me a few more moments to fill the bag completely. I gasped when I heard a knock on my door. "Jesse?" my mom called. I leaped across the room, pressing down the button to lock the door just in time for her attempt to open it. "Jesse, don't lock this door. Let me in right now."

I laughed at her as I hurried to my window, opening it all of the way. The humid breeze invaded my lungs and set me free. I grunted and heaved the now full bag onto the roof, only a mere ten feet above the ground. I brought a foot over, ready to climb out as well when I heard my computer beep. He was on. I sprinted to my desk in no time, allowing my nose to touch the screen as I went cross eyed to read Matt's few typed lines.

Her skin reflects behind the blur, I'm intoxicated. Where am I from, why am I here? You're so predictable.

"Matt, you amaze me," I whispered as my mom continued to yell through the door. Her slamming became more frequent. I searched my room frantically to find a blunt object. My quick thinking forced me to pick up a lamp. I slammed it into my computer, crying hard at the loss of my most prized possesion. My mother could never see this.

I continued my trip out of the window and wrapped my bag around my arm twice. I sat in the corner under another part of the roof, hidden from plain view. Matt would be here soon. I'd never have to come back to this place ever again.

"Jesse!" my mom yelled one final time, finally pushing enough force into the door to break through it.

"Fuck," I muttered under my breath, holding my bag close to my chest. My breathing sped up in fear as I heard her stomping around in my room. She slammed on the window sill and glared at me as I tried to make myself as small as possible.

"Get in here," she demanded through clenched teeth. "Right now."

I shook my head and watched the road. Lights from a car were gradually becoming more visible. "No." She began her attempt to crawl out the window, trying hard to fit her adult sized body through the tiny square. I inched down the shingles, careful not to slip, closer to the gutter. The car finally appeared, stopping in my driveway. A man stepped out and sheilded his eyes from the sun as he stared up at me.

"Jess?" he asked in wonder. "Is that you?"

I bit my lip and ran my fingers across the rough material, taking in it's texture before I hung my legs over the edge.

"Don't jump, you'll hurt yourself!" my mother bellowed from inside. She gave up trying to join me on the roof.

"Matt, get in the car now," I told him, my voice shaking a bit. I shut my eyes and plunged off the house, awaiting my fifteen foot drop. Everything went quiet as the fall prolonged itself. Time felt as if it were stopped. No sounds were heard until my feet touched the ground, buckling under the pressure. The world became audible again as Matt rushed to help me up. "Ow..." I groaned, feeling an enormous pain in my left ankle. Matt put my arm around his neck and led me to the car. "Hurry," I breathed. He opened my door and set me in quickly before jumping over hte hood and getting in the drivers seat. He put the key in the ignition and backed out of the driveway, speeding down the road and taking a quick right. I held my ankle in pain and hissed, holding back the tears.

"You OK? Is it broken?" Matt asked, now out of breath.

"Yeah, it might be. I'll live," I assured him, watching my leg closely, thinking that it would stop the pain.

"Wanna go to a hospital?"

"No, it's probably just sprained. Just go to your house, OK?"

"My house?" he asked in surprise, sticking his lip out a bit. "If you're sure..."

"Yeah, I'm sure."

"Beware of my brother. He will hit on you," Matt smirked, flicking his blinker on to take a sharp turn. He slammed his foot on the gas and allowed the car to roar down the deserted street.

"Here we are, Jess," he sighed, opening his front door. I blew my bangs out of my face and looked around his living room. It seemed average to me. Probably above average, actually. "Let's head down to my room."

"Why?" I asked quickly, limping through the door.

"I don't want my brother around you," he said quietly. "He really is a creepy guy. And with your looks, he'll try to be all over you."

"My looks?" I scoffed. I felt my chest warm at his words. "Yeah right."

"Come on," he said, lifting me up unexpectedly.

"Hey!" I shouted, pushing him, almost forcing him to drop me. "Let go!"

"Just chill for one minute, will you?" he snapped, kicking the door opened and carefully making his way down the dark stairs. I swallowed the lump in my throat and shut my eyes tightly through the dark, fearing it tremendously. I felt him on flat ground again and waited until my eyelids turned a light orange to open them. He set me down on his couch and took a seat next to me. "Alright..." he sighed. "What's going on?"

"Nothing, none of your business," I spat, crossing my arms. I tried to ignore the pain in my ankle that was finally becoming dull.

"Tell me or I'll fucking take you back to your house," he threatened.

"Your a dick!" I grunted, looking away from his features. My heart sped up at the thought of him being this close to me. The realization that I was in his room finally hit me. I sighed and prepared to tell my tale. "My mom heard about the fight at school and wants to send me to my dads. My dad is a total asshole and treats me horribly, and I didn't want to go over there. So I destroyed my room and ran away with you. Happy?"

"Yeah," he smirked, puting his arm on top of the couch. "I'm happy. Now we have to figure out your foot thing. What will we do?"

"I don't know..." I trailed off, scanning his room. My eyes stopped at something that made my heart stop. His computer. His desk. His chair. His keyboard. Everything I read comes from this simple contraption. "I love your computer..."

"Thanks, me too. It helps me a lot."

"Me too..." I smiled widely.

He watched me in silence for a moment. "You know what? You intrigue me."