Sequel: Loonar

Hand Me Downs.

Deal.

You know that feeling when everyone hates you?

When the family you’ve spent most of each summer with for the last six years ignores you... every last one of them. I hadn’t spoken to a Weasley in almost a week.

George hadn’t said anything, he didn’t have too... didn’t have to shout or scream. He just looked upset, he bit his lip, shook his head slightly and walked off, his shoulder hitting against mine as he went.

I had followed him, like a fool, my every word, every time I apologised, said it meant nothing just dug it deeper into him, hurt him more.

I was so stupid, so so very stupid.

“If you don’t want to do it you don’t have too.” Katie’s voice brought me back into reality, and I blinked a couple of times offering her a small smile and taking the borrowed broomstick from her hand.

“No, it’s fine.” She shook her head.

“No. It’s not. Look, I know you think you fucked up, and well, you did...”

“Thanks.” I muttered bitterly, stepping past her, the sun still not fully risen, casting long shadows on the grass of the Quidditch pitch,

“But... he’ll come around, I promise. You just need to give him time.” I frowned at her, concern scrawled over her tired features.

“Would you forgive something like that?” I asked softly, tilting my head slightly, she chewed her lip,

“But, it happened before you two... I mean, you weren’t together, you're not together, so you didn’t cheat and...”

“Would you forgive something like that?” I repeated, keeping eye contact, and shrugged, offering me no comfort.

Because, she knew how much I had fucked it up.

I sighed, kneeling down and making sure my laces were tight, Katie still watching me, worrying over everything as she always did.

“Can we hang out soon? Like.. just me and you?” I asked, only drawing myself up as I finished speaking, she nodded, “You want to find some corner in the library or something private?” I sniggered, grinning widely at her.

“Why, you want to get it on Bell?” I winked to accentuate my point and she giggled, rolling her eyes.

“I didn’t think about how that would sound there.”

I shook my head, sitting myself on the broom and hovering a couple of metres above the ground as she got on her own, “Whatever, I look forward to having my wicked way with you.” she darted forward on her broom, causing me to attempt to shoot back and almost fall off, as always my skills on a broom terrible and my reactions too slow.

I huffed, heaving myself back into a proper position, “I fucking hate brooms.”

___


I was surprised the next morning to have an owl drop a letter in my cereal, surprised before it meant the milk splashed into my face but more surprised by the letter itself.

I had a muggle family, a father who ignored the whole wizarding world as much as possible, grandparents who neither knew or cared enough to know. Dale shot me a look and I shrugged, fishing the envelope out and wiping my fingers on my tights as I ripped it open, absorbing the robotic words.

Amelia,

Hope everything is good with you.
I don’t think I’ll be around during the Christmas holidays, the BBC want me on site with the ruckus building up in Afganistan with the Taliban...Then Tammy and myself will be visiting her family in America.
I must assume you shall be spending the holidays with the Weaslie family you normally visiting so I’m guessing this will not be a problem.
Work hard.
Stay out of trouble.
Dad.


I snorted, after all these years, he still spent Weasley wrong. Not that this little element of humour made the letter hurt any less, the first time he writes to me whilst I’m at school in almost three years and it’s to tell me he won’t be seeing me until Easter.

I understand the news, it’s his job, but Tammy... fucking Tammy.

“You alright?” This time it was Ryan, as usual on Dale’s right who was watching at me, I nodded, trying to make sure I didn’t look too upset.

“Just Dad..”

“Wow, the illusive Pelanci father actually wrote you a letter?” he teased and I forced a grim smile.

“Yeah, basically telling me he isn’t going to be around at Christmas.” Ryan frowned slightly, watching as I screwed the letter up slightly as I placed it down.

“Well that’s not too bad,” he stated matter of factly, spreading some more butter on his toast, “Don’t you normally head up to the Weasley’s anyways...” he trailed off, not realising his mistake until I sarcastically retorted,

“Yeah, well funnily enough I’m not sure I’ll be invited this year Ryan.” I stood up before he had time to even comprehend my scorn and stormed out, I wasn’t irritated at him, not at all.

Just... my dad constantly found ways to make me feel like he didn’t give a shit.

I sighed, irritated when the noise caught in my throat, I was far too old to be getting so upset over this.

“Amelia,” A breezy voice said behind me, causing me to swallow and turn around, shoving a smile on my face as I saw Cho, “You okay?” I nodded, telling her I was fine, she nodded back, biting her lip as it grew awkward.

We had a couple of classes together, but that was as far as it went.

“I was just wondering if you knew when the next DA meeting was, the last two have been great...” I racked my brains but shook my head.

“Hermione will let everyone know with the coins I’m sure, if I find out before I’ll make sure I let you know.” she nodded again, smiling, her hands clasped in front of her.

“Well...bye.” she said, spinning on her heel as I did the same, debating whether to go to Alchemy or to go back to my bed and just mope.

I huffed slightly, deciding that my studies were more important than my self-pity, I couldn’t afford to fall behind so early in the year, not if I was still aiming for that seemingly impossible Auror dream. I glanced a familiar bun as I went round a sharp corner, deciding quickly that now was the time to ask the question I had been debating since Summer.

I hadn’t breathed a word to anyone, it was silly really, it was far too difficult and I expected a no from her.

“Professor!” I called, half running over to me.

“Good Morning Pelanci,” She said, her voice tainted with that edge of a Scottish accent high, “And to what do I owe the pleasure of being deafened so early in the day” I smiled sheepishly, turning to her, our eye-line level.

“I wanted to ask you to tutor me if you have time.” her brows met in the middle.

“You are hardly behind Miss Pelanci, if you only applied yourself completely rather than chattering with Mr Davis...” I cut her off, lowering my voice,

“No, not about the lesson, about stuff that happened in the summer...” Instantly her eyes flickered around us.

“Come in my office, I was just on my way there to collect some snails for my first year lesson.” I nodded, scurrying after her and standing in front of the desk as she closed the door, my spine as straight as it could go.

I needed to make her want to help me.

“What is it then Amelia?” the formality drop and I felt the urge to smirk, being of first name basis’ with McGonagall was rare and I felt almost honoured we had reached that level.

“I want to become an animagus.”

I breathed quickly, it was something I had thought about, since Sirius, it had so many advantages, you could spy, defend depending on what animal you became.
And it was notoriously difficult, that was perhaps what appealed to me the most, a challenge, a chance to push and prove myself... to myself?

It was different, unique, powerful.

“You know as well as I how difficult it is, I can understand your reasoning’s...”

That’s right, never mention summer, the order, not even a hint.

“But it’s extremely difficult and I don’t know if I can spare the time quite frankly.”

“I want to help.” I said quickly, “And I’m not that good at duelling or fighting, I’m only half decent at charms and transfiguration, and if it’s something that nobody expects I see that as a major advantage.” she pursed her lips, defiant.

“Professor Flitwick constantly praises your ability in charms, and whilst you are indeed fair at Transfiguration this is much beyond NEWT level.”

“The Marauders did it in their fifth year because they needed to. I don’t know what other way I can help once stuff happens.” Her expression was grim as he eyes scanned over me,

“There is no telling what animal you may become until you are already training, if you are expecting some kind of warrior it is unlikely...” I nodded, “And if this is some way of having to prove yourself to someone it is a foolish plan.” I nodded again, feeling defeated.

I knew there was little chance she would agree.

“However,” she practically clicked her words and I felt the sides of my mouth turning upwards, “Any advantage we may gain over the....enemy is well worth a bit of effort, I presume you have also approached Dolores for extra ‘tutoring’ in Defence against the Dark Arts, that is an area in which you will need to thrive.” she sneered as she said Professor Umbridge’s name and the smile grew as I rolled my eyes slightly.

“This will be a secret, I cannot have a bundle of students all wanting to learn, it shall be difficult enough with just one...and Miss Pelanci, I expect from now on nothing but O grade work and perfect attendance.” I nodded, grinning widely.

“Nothing less.” She nodded curtly, beginning to arrange the box of snails and I took this as my time to leave, whispering a quick thank you as the door creaked closed behind me.

This week was looking up.

___


Alchemy dragged, but for once I didn’t mind.
I was going to become an animagus.

There were a very limited number of people who could claim that.

“What’s going on?” Leanne cornered me on our way back to the common room, I shrugged, pulling a confused face and she rolled her eyes, huffing slightly, “You’re all smiley again,” she paused delicately, “I mean, Ryan said about your Dad and...” she grew flustered, “No, no I mean I’m glad you look happier, you look a lot better than you have the last couple of days...did you sort things out with George?”

I shook my head, the smile dropping, again she huffed, this time at herself.

“It’s fine sweetie.” I stopped her before she could burst into rambled apologies, bless her.

Sweet, silly Leanne.

“What I wanted to know anyways was about a certain Ravenclaw I’ve seen you talking to a lot lately.” I pouted at her, lifting my eyebrows and relaxing as she giggled, bursting into animated conversation about him.

Getting Leanne to talk about her latest object of desire was an easy way to avoid an unwanted conversation.

I pulled out my bag, dropping it on the low table and accepting Aaron's open arms as I half collapsed on him in the common room, “How was Herbology?” I murmured and he shrugged, smelling distinctly of dirt and grass.

“You stink...do you have a free period now?” he nodded, and I pulled away, sitting next to him, one leg slung over his, “Do I?” he shook his head mockingly,

“You really don’t know your timetable by now?” I shrugged, I had other stuff on my mind at the moment and he laughed at my expression.

“But yeah, you must do considering Dale told me he did next and you guys have all the same lessons excluding Potionss.” I nodded, suddenly realising that Dale hadn’t been in Alchemy....

Why hadn’t I noticed that?

“Oh, did you hear about Alicia?” I glanced at Leanne who shook her head slightly not paying attention, already she had pulled a magazine from her bag, “Some fucking Slytherin hexed her, I can’t remember who Ryan said it was but yeah, she had to go to the hospital wing.” I frowned.

“Was she hurt?” I liked Alicia.

“Nah, it wasn’t anything like that, but yeah so, of course, Snape decided she did it herself, even though according to Ryan multiple people saw it.”

“I’m not surprised about Snape,” I said honestly, “I mean it’s Quidditch next week, and he’s desperate to win it. You know they’d cheat their way through anything.”

“Well, it’s a good thing Katie’s been making you practise so much with her then isn’t it,” he said with a wink nudging me. “Anyway, I hope them two hurry up, we need to start on transfiguration.” I nodded.

I had my side of the deal to keep with McGonagall.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey, sorry this is rather fillerish... but yet to set the scene and get into the Dad/ my darling wonderful Minerva side of things :)

Comments would be great, and as always, thank you so much for reading :D

Much love x