Sequel: Loonar

Hand Me Downs.

Headmistress Umbridge.

I’d never seen someone fall asleep in their food before, but Katie had managed exactly that.

But I suppose that was fair and I wasn’t well off, the long night had stretched into a longer day, McGonagall had given us the morning off and we had sat tensely, muttering what we hoped were comforting words to Sarah before her mother arrived, not even brushing the floo powder from her shoulders.

She’d been as bad, perhaps worse than I was expecting, Madam Pomfry eventually having to intercede, the three of us having chipped in but receiving our own harsh comments in return.

“Enough!” madam Pomfrey had screeched, “You cannot enter this school and talk to pupils in such a way! And I insist you calm your daughter Mrs Sanders, the high levels of stress is not good for the baby!”

“The baby! Oh well, that makes it all okay then doesn’t it, we mustn’t harm the baby my seventeen year old daughter is carrying!”

By the time we had been let go before morning break, I was exhausted, emotionally and physically, Sarah had left with her mother, and her mother would have left with a black eye if Madam Pomfrey had had her way.

Unfortunately, due to the nature of it, Umbridge, Headmaster Umbridge had to come down, see her off with that sickening smile that still looked like a grimace on her puffy face. The vile look of glee didn’t drop.

Finally we’d quickly gone back to the common room, washed, dressed, eaten a tray of food brought up by house elves (including Katie’s short nap) and headed down, bumping straight into the others, and being introduced to the other dramatic event of the previous night.

“So, apparently right,” Leanne nodded up at him, her eyes staring intently at the Ravenclaw Quidditch Captain, “Dumbledore was running some club that Marietta told Umbridge about.”

Katie and I shared a look and I felt a stab of irritation, glaring at any Ravenclaws that went past, but Roger wasn’t finished, “Right and Dumbledore attacked like five aurors and escaped, no-one has any idea where he want. Apparently, he did some kind of charm and one of the men have a pumpkin head or something.”

“Nah, that bits rubbish,” Eddie Carmichael popped up, offering me and Katie gentle waves we returned, he was in Alchemy and Transfiguration with us and was a bit of an idiot, in terms of his immense level of cockiness but he was okay.

Another someone Leanne had declared she was in love for at some point during out third year. “He just stunned them, some people are saying McGonagall joined it.”

“No way Umbridge would still have her here if that was true,” I reasoned, yawning, every move was sluggish, far too much effort but I spotted some familiar bodies further down the hallway.

“I’m going to go see George and Fred,” I stretched, “I’ll meet you guys later.”

“See ya.”

Katie looked a bit off put to be left alone with the two but let him engage her in conversation as I struggled around other students.

The only reason I could see them was the fact they were at least three inches taller than most people at this school. “There you are!” Fred declared loudly, rushing over to me, “Where on Earth have you been? George near about had a heart attack.”

“I was...” I took a second, debating whether it was worth a lie, but in a public place it was, “Sorting our your birthday presents, since it is in two days.” He narrowed his eyes but the promise of presents made him leg go and push me towards George who looked a bit more perplexed.

“You look really tired, no offense, and I sent some second year up to find you.” I swatted his arm playfully, “You need to stop treating them like they’re your slaves!”

“Hey, I pay them! I gave this girl a discount on some fever fudge.”

“Wow, what a reward.” I said deadpan, instantly feeling better around him, but still uneasy about the whole Sarah situation.

“So where actually were you all? Or do I have to ask Leanne?”

“I’ll tell you later.” My voice was low and quick, “Just don’t bring it up okay?” He must have understood the sincerity and nodded.

“By the way, Fred and I may have planned a little something.” I lifted a brow, “Well, after Umbridge ruining everything, we thought we would have a little revenge.”

My stomach sank, “Are you leaving?” He shook his head quickly, “

“No, not yet, don’t look so worried...there just may be a bit of a display.”

“Display?” I rolled the word on my tongue, thinking through what they had created.

The whiz-bangs.

“You guys are going to get in so much trouble!” I hissed.

“You know that doesn’t matter.”

“It matters to your mother.” He had the decency to look a little frightened.

“We’re in trouble anyway once they find Montague.” I didn’t even have to reply before he whispered about the vanishing closet.

“You’re both idiots.” By now we had moved further down the hallway, Fred a few steps behind.

“What do you have?” He cut me off, and I chewed my inner cheek but let it drop.

Odd as it seemed, they were both adults, free to do what they wanted.
But God, I knew Molly was going to have my head for not being able to stop them.

“Defense against the dark arts,” I whined, “Double defense against the dark arts.”

“Ah,” he patted my head, “Well, we have charms, but make sure you’re in the hall at lunch, nice and early, get a good seat.”

“You’re a complete...”

“Genius, we know!” He kissed me gently, “And I wanna know what happened last night.” He added, although I was already aware I would have no choice but to tell him, and I’m sure others would get it out of us as well.

“So I walked you to your lesson on the wrong side of the school?” He nodded and I kissed him again, turning around to a hard cough and a sour faced Filch.

“You done?” I thought the urge to retch at his gawping but pecked George again before turning, having to walk quickly to try and shorten my journey, even though I was definitely going to be late.

Thankful she must have been distracted rushing around using her new authority and I managed to graze in before her, sitting heavily next to a bemused Ryan, ignoring him as I scurried in my satchel and slammed by book on the desk, quill on top, urging my breathing to settle.

“So, last night was fun eh?” I didn’t have time to question him before, “Katie told me about Sarah,” He murmured into my ear, “Did she now?”

“That sucks for her.” I flared up at his nonchalant response.

“Sucks for her Ryan?! This is...” Umbridge moved her chair along the floor, screeching loudly and silencing us.

“Chapter twenty six please, no need for wands but notes may be taken. If I am at all distracted it will be because I am sorting out official documents for my rise to Headmistress.” That smug look was back and I swear it dragged over me as she glared across the room, “Begin.”

I pulled out a bit of parchment, quickly moving to the small ink pot dug into each desk.

What did Katie say?

I pushed it to him gently, almost wincing at the scratching noise it made along the wood, after a few minutes I had an answer.

She said Sarah was pregnant from Adrian Pucy?!!!! But that he wasn’t bothered and she hadn’t told anyone. I don’t know, the whole situation is a bit...stupid. She said her mum flipped though.

It’s not funny Ryan, she’s really upset and now she’s not going to be able to do her Newts!

I didn’t say it was funny, don’t bite my head off. I screwed up the parchment, pushing it back, feeling irrationally angry. He was right, it had nothing to do with him.

We’d neglected her, I’d known something was wrong months ago and we’d let a stupid argument go so far. If we’d made up she wouldn’t have gone anywhere, not seen that rat.

Wouldn’t be in this situation.

I felt guilty. I felt like a bad friend, a bad person for letting this happen to her.

I could see Ryan glancing at me, but kept making my notes, my writing messy as I rushed until eventually the two long hours were up and it was lunchtime.

“The twins are doing something.” I said quietly, thankful I had had the time to cool down a little, I was still angry at myself but there was no point taking it out on a shocked Ryan. The six of us filtered out, Leanne looking like she was going to fall asleep against the stone wall.

The minute we were out of the room and Umbridge strolled past, apparently heading up the Dumbledore’s office as she told Professor Burbage practically in sing song Aaron erupted.

“Someone seriously has to tell me what the fuck happened! I’ve heard bits but she was pregnant?!”

Katie hushed him and we started down the hallway, me letting the other two describe it, mixing in with what the boys had heard of Dumbledore escaping.

“But no-one is getting punished for it?” Katie said tensely, Dale shook his head.

“I asked Harry this morning, Marietta said it was the first meeting so she hasn’t got enough to expel us.”

“Well, I’ll thank Merlin for that.” She breathed, looking slightly more at ease.

If anything I got less so, especially once I saw two tall redheads darting past us on the busy marble steps leading to the Grand Hall.

It wasn’t going to end well, not if they were caught.

“You okay?” I shrugged a little at Dale, dark blue eyes burning into mine.

“Tired and just feeling shit about the whole Sarah thing, like,” My hands were moving as we spoke, finally moving to sit down, “we should have noticed!”

“Doesn’t change it,” He said simply, sensibly, “You didn’t make her sleep with him.”

“But she wouldn’t have if we hadn’t...”

The conversation stopped as he stepped in, and he must have felt the six pairs of glaring eyes on him, must have figured we knew. Leanne had already half risen when Aaron tugged her back down.

“If we don’t want this getting around you can’t do anything to him.” She snorted.

“It will get round, everything gets around at Hogwarts.”

Her eyes spent a little too long on Dale and me for my liking and the conversation grew stilted, hard stares still on Pucy.

“I’m going to talk to Hermione.” I said eventually, nothing had happened yet and I was growing agitated that George and Fred’s plan had been foiled.

But then again, as I kept telling myself, being expelled wouldn’t matter to them. I was just fearful Umbridge could do much worse.

I was halfway to her when there was a loud roar, followed by multiple others and bright shapes burst through the doorway, some high, spinning and screeching. Some lower, a dragon, beasts made of sparkling fire lit the room, sending a large amount of students onto the floor with screeches that turned to laughter as chaos reigned and continued, several enchantments we had discussed working well, multiplying the whiz-bangs, making them louder, larger.

I grinned.
_________________________________________________________________

After everything had eventually been cleared up, many of the students and teachers taking a stand, claiming they could not sort it themselves and ensuring Umbridge was running around like a madwoman all day, George and Fred had pretty had a party in their honour.

The next day had passed easily, we’d gone to bed ridiculously early, Sarah’s empty bed an uncomfortable sight and not risen until Hermione had rushed up and forced us out of bed.

Umbridge was still furious about the day before, desperate to discover the culprits and being especially harsh in lessons. I would have thought she would easily discover the twins, since they were both walking around like they owned the place and it seemed everyone was well aware, teachers included it had been them.

I’d spent the evening hiding from them, doing my best to wrap their presents. The fact it also corresponded with the last day of term was a bonus, although I was off home the next morning. But, I was pleased I had managed to get them what I had wanted, although it took a lot of effort.

At the Hogsmeade trip I had managed to leave him with Ryan, sneaken away with Aaron to Zonko’s where I had ordered in a lot of potion ingredients, taken directly from the list of needed ingredients they had created, tricks they could edit and improve, things to help them create as many ridiculous concoctions as usual. Amongst that was a few tops, a pile of sweets and some sketches for packaging that I didn’t think were too bad.

Getting it to Hogsmeade was the easy bit, getting it into the castle was where my group of friends had readily come in handy, Dale and Leanne had had an argument, drawing Filch away, and Harry had leant me the Marauder’s Map, so I could see when the exit from the secret tunnel back into Hogwarts was free, and then it was a dash back to the Common Room.

A lot of effort but I felt it was worthwhile, especially if they intended to leave soon, although they claimed they hadn’t chosen a specific date.

If it wasn’t for the lack of magical fireworks I was fearful they would have gone out with a bang.

“You’re too cute.” Leanne commented, painting her nails from her bed, her excuse for not helping, “I wish you were my girlfriend.” I rolled my eyes but grinned at her.

“I’d treat you right.”

“Damn right.” She teased, a terrible imitation of an American accent. “I bet George is excited for his special present.”

I almost blushed, feeling my cheeks heat up a little, “I really regret telling you things!”

“Oh no!” She countered, the two of us alone, Katie at Quidditch practise, the twins had gone to watch leaving me more time, “I’m helping! I’m telling you to wear the pink balconette top.”

“Please stop looking at me in my underwear.” I said sarcastically, “As much as I appreciate how hot I am.”

“Whatever,” She popped, blowing lightly on her fingers, “I’m over here, giving you wonderful advice.”

“Why don’t you give someone else advice?”

“Who? The seventh years are tragic in terms of style, Katie can’t even talk to Ryan without blushing like an idiot and everyone under us is too young.”

“You could make Lavender Brown your protégée.” She grimaced, she was so loud sometimes we could easily hear her whining up here.

“No, you’ll have to do.”

“You know how creepy it is you dolling me up for me to have sex?”

“It’s not creepy! We help each other get ready at all other things, just because you happen to be going to bone Weasley I... okay, I see how it’s weird but that doesn’t change the fact I want to do your hair, sex you up a little.”

“Sex Katie up for Ryan.”

“That would be the day.”

She left me alone for a while, flipping through her latest edition of vogue, “You could always pay me to do your hair?” She suggested, eyes excited at something on the paper.

“Oh yeah?"I humoured her,"how much?”

“Oh, not much, just five hundred of the muggle pounds.”

“You know how many Galleons that is?” She shook her head.

“It’s about a Galleon for five pounds...so that what, a hundred Galleons?” She whined, “Tell you what, you do my hair and everything and you can have that blue dress you’ve been eyeing up since Christmas, it doesn’t sit right on me anyway.”

“Because of your boy chest?” she squealed as the spello-tape hit her, “Oww Amelia.”

“You deserve that! I am a 32B thank you very much. Just because you’re over there with fucking melons!” She giggled.

“Melons?” I nodded, the feeling infectious.

“That's what this woman said on tv, Leanne, seriously, stop I need to finish this before I see them!”

“Alright Satsuma tits.” The spello-tape came flying back at me.

We bickered on and off until Katie dragged herself up, looking annoyed and heading straight into the bathroom, the thundering sound of taps evident.

“Well, have fun with that!” I taunted, standing, even though Fred and George would be complaining.

“I’d rather listen to Ryan moaning than Katie, I’m going down!” We walked down together and saw Ron half collapsed, hair all messed up and face still red, Angelina raging to Alicia in the corner.

“It was bad,” I jumped as he drew up behind me, “Really bad.”

“Oh dear, Angelina looks like she’s going to blow a gasket.”

“That isn’t a saying.” He argued and I shot him a look that silenced him quickly, “Wanna go up?”

“You want to make fun of me?”

“No Maam.” I giggled, moving around him and up the stairway, “You gunna tell me what you got for my birthday anyway?”

“Nope, but it is all nicely wrapped, so you can both open it tomorrow.”

“Awww, but...”

“It’s not your birthday for four hours.” He pouted and I chuckled, the room unsurprisingly a complete mess, “You need to let the house elves come back up here!” I demanded, throwing a sock from his pillow, “We can’t have them reporting any of the stuff to Umbridge.” He answered, laying down and pulling my head onto his chest, the gentle thud of his heart making me feel drowsy instantly.

“Can I at least have a pre-birthday blow...”

“Don’t you dare finish that sentence George Arnold Weasley!”