My Destiny

CH1: Expectation

I remember the day I left my parents’ cottage; it was a cool, crisp morning…
I had remembered everything to put in my knapsack and left a note on my wooden nightstand for my parents. I couldn’t risk another second being told how to live my life. I just couldn’t sit there helpless; my own family had turned against me and wanted me to marry a noble huntsman. My mother, Kathryn wants me to marry early, so I could get to know my husband and his family before we decide to have a baby. Both of my parents are finding suitors for me and bringing them home for dinner. I decided to leave the night my mother told me to get washed up and dress more like a lady because a guest was coming, another suitor I guessed and I was right.
It was the late afternoon, early evening that my father Patrick and I were cutting wood and stocking it in the barn for the upcoming cold rainy days and winter. My father had to go to our village to get some supplies, for his work tomorrow, which I would go with him. However, my father said I couldn’t because I had to complete my daily tasks which include finishing cutting up fire wood and then feeding my horse, Rain. She was a beautiful, light medium brown Skewbald mare. I was finishing cutting up the fire wood and stocking it in the barn, across from where Rain’s stall was. She nickered to me and I greeted her, I reached into my pocket and found nothing when I usually have a handful of oats.
I looked at her and she leaned her head over her stall door and put her muzzle on my shoulder. I stroked her white muzzle gently.
“Sorry Rain, I don’t have your treat, I’ll go inside and get your favorite; oats.” I patted her cream colored mane as she raised her head and her ears twisted in the direction of the entrance of the barn. She whinnied and pawed the ground as I started to leave, a sign of impatience and confinement of being trapped in that stall all day.
“Shhh- Hush Rain… Don’t want to get mama upset, settle.” I patted and reassured her, as I took her out and put her in the pasture so she could stretch her legs.
I ran inside to get the oats out of the special jar I picked out for Rain’s treats. I closed the bottom half of our Dutch door and ran upstairs to get the oats. My mother was at the top of the stairs and stopped me.
“Roxanne, why aren’t you dressed, I mean speak of the devil if you think you’re going to be wearing that to dinner tonight. Don’t you realize that there’s a guest coming?” *Sighs* “I’ll set out some clothes for you.” She looked up and down at me and frowned, “Definitely more lady-like and less like a barbarian who lives in a cave…” she responded, dryly as she turned around and walked into my room.
I walked swiftly across my room and got two handfuls of oats and walked out of my room. “Roxanne, where do you think you’re going off too? Your guest will be here with your father, in only a few minutes, or at least by nightfall.” She called after me.
“I need to give Rain her daily evening treat of oats…” I replied, as I jumped down the steps and out the door.