My Destiny

CH2: Treats

I whistled for Rain, as I climbed on the fence to her medium-sized pasture. She nickered to me as she trotted over to get her treat. I held out my hand and she ate as I stroked her mane, I noticed that she had some knots in it, even though I brushed her mane and tail earlier.
“Did you roll around in the mud, and get knots in your mane?” I asked, as she finished eating out of my hand, as I raised my eyebrow.
She did her doe-eyed innocence look when I knew she was guilty and patted her nose. She licked my cheek and I held her head and laughed. That’s when I heard my father’s carriage pull up and Ol’ Em whinny. I jumped over the fence and ran into the barn and coaxed Rain inside her stable so that when my father and the new suitor come in, it will look like I’ve been busy cleaning my horse, I jumped over to the tack bar and got all the materials to brush Rain’s mane and clip her tail so she doesn’t step on it and so it doesn’t get caught when I take her for her daily exercise in the forest. I started getting busy on Rain’s mane and got all the knots out and went to her tail and brushed all the knots out. I was deciding how short I wanted to cut her tail, when my father and the suitor came in with Ember and I hid very quietly, just doing my own thing when the suitor sat down next to the bars that show into Rain’s stall. He looked into Rain’s stall, and was startled to see me.
“Oh, I didn’t know you were in here…” he gasped.
As my father looked over at his only daughter sitting on the floor, doing her chores during the evening, even though she’s supposed to be inside helping her mother with dinner. I gave him an innocent smile…
“Father, Rain just wanted to be pretty for our guest, as well.” I stood, as I brushed off the dirt and hay from my hands and butt. I pulled the remaining hay out of my usual do, a loosely bound French braid. I smiled a little, at the suitor, which I knew was Alexander Stonewell, the blacksmith’s son and a good friend of hers’. “Hello, Xander. Nice to see you again…” I walked out with Rain and put her out in the pasture again.
“Now Rain, no mud baths. Stay clean this time, girl.” I replied, as I stroked her nose. She nickered to me as if understanding what I was saying. “Go on, have some fun in the pasture!” I smiled, a little.