Status: On hiatus. Rewritting.

Strangers When We Meet

Chapter Eleven.

I was staring at the tattoo on my ribs. The four little symbols that had meant so much to me months ago seemed strange now. They represented something I stood for, something I loved. I didn't know what I felt now.

I had my music playing, a ltad louder than usual. It was always a comfort to me, and one of the only things that has never betrayed me, or let me down. I could always count on music. Blink 182 came on, “Stay Together for the Kids.” I stopped and really listened. Mark Hoppus' voice sang out of my speakers,

”It's hard to wake up, when the shades have been pulled shut
This house is haunted, it's so pathetic, it makes no sense at all
I'm ripe with things to say, the words rot and fall away
What stupid poem could fix this home, I'd read it every day.”


The song was about divorce, obviously. My real parents had never been married, but that song still spoke to me at a moment like this. I had a lot to face tonight, and to be honest, I wasn't sure if I could.

With a sigh I put on my bra and tugged on nice blouse. I looked like a responsible, respectable young lady.

It wasn't me.

When I came downstairs Andrew was rounding a corner, and stopped in his tracks. “What are you wearing?”

“Clothes.”

“Your mother told you to dress up. Look nice.”

“And I looked ridiculous, so I changed.”

He gave me a hard look, but went on his way upstairs. Andrew hadn't said much to me since he had met my real dad. I don't think it was because he didn't knew what to say, it was he knew I would snap at him if he gave me his opinion.

Mom was in the dining room, resetting the table for the umpteenth time. She was nervous and had been since we got home and started preparing the meal. I had made a vegan lasagna that I was proud of, and bought a vegan chocolate cake and two appetizers from a shop that specialized in vegan food. For the rest of us mom had made a very meaty lasagna, salad, and garlic bread. Everything was in the oven now.

She looked up when I came into the room. She frowned. “Really, Brie? The Sex Pistols. ” she said, staring at my shirt.

“What? They're an awesome band.”

She looked at the rest of me. I had on a pair of ripped red skinny jeans, my Sex Pistols tee, paired that with a dark blazer, and a pair of wedge sneakers. I looked good. Mom clearly didn't approve.

Shaking her head, hands on her hips, she said, “I asked you to do one thing, Brie. One thing only. Look nice.”

“And this is my version of nice. Relax, mom. Have you seen the way those guys dress sometimes? They'll appreciate my attire.”

“You look like you're going to-” she stopped right there. “I told myself that I would not be arguing with you tonight, so I'll let it go. Make sure everything's set, will you.”

It was, she knew it, she just wanted to keep me busy. I had to make sure the rest of the house was nice, that the bathrooms were neat, the living room too, I checked the oven, and had promised to be on my best behavior.

Andrew had joined mom who was now in the kitchen, he had changed into some dark slacks and a light blue button down. Boring. I was so thankful that his kids hadn't been here this week, none of this was their business and I was praying he wouldn't tell them a thing.

“Anything else you need me to do?”

“I think that's it.” Mom said absentmindedly. She was pacing. “Mom, chill. It's going to be fine.”

Oh, who was I kidding, this was going to be bad. Even Andrew looked a little nervous. But his nerves might have something to do with sitting down to dinner with a man mom had had a child with. A man who happened to be really famous, very talented and incredibly attractive to boot. Talk about awkward.

The doorbell rang and mom, normally cool, calm and collected, jumped. I couldn't imagine what was going on in her head. She hadn't spoken to Jared in years, she had lied about having his child, and now here she was about to try and have a civilized time with him.

“I'll get it.” I said. I walked to the door, and my palms suddenly became sweaty. I shook myself before opening the door.

“Hey, Fun-sized.” Frankie said. She and June stood side by side. In the pregnant girl's hand was a bouquet of wildflowers.

“I thought they'd be a nice touch.” she said.

“Thanks.” I took them and stood aside for them to enter.

They both wore dresses. Frankie's was red, and pretty conservative for her. But her fishnets and army boots made it totally Frankie. June's dress was blue, sleeveless, long, and she paired it with flats, she was too unstable to walk in anything else.

“So, are they here yet?” Frankie asked in a whisper, peaking her head around a corner. I shook my head.

We walked to the kitchen. I put the flowers in a vase with some water. “It's just Junie and Frankie.” I said to my mom and Andrew, who, like mom, didn't much care for my friends, but he could tolerate them. He gave them a smile as greeting.

“Hello, ladies,” Mom said, distracted.

Frankie and June looked at one another. Both mouthing the word 'ladies' with confused faces. Mom had never called them that before. She was more nervous that I had originally though.
Mom turned to her husband. “Do you think this enough food?”

“For the last time, Catherine, it's more than enough.” He touched her arm tenderly, and Frankie nearly gagged. I got the feeling we shouldn't be watching them so we left and went into the living room. The appetizers were on the table and June took a few onto a little plate. I sat June's flowers on one of the end tables.

“So your mom's going all out, huh?” Frankie said, eying the table.

“This isn't all out.” I insisted.

“For me it is. When Gina has people over she just brings out the fancy paper plates and makes sure the beers are cold. This is nice. How come your mom doesn't ever invite us over to dinner?” She slouched down into the couch and sat wide-legged like a guy, saying, “I'm very lady-like.”

I laughed. “I can tell.”

June made a face, but not at Frankie, and asked, “What's this?” She held out the food in her hand, looking strangely at it.

“Eggplant something or another.” I really couldn't remember what the lady at the shop had called them. They really didn't look too bad, but I wasn't that hungry.

She grabbed a napkin and took the food out of her mouth with it. When a pregnant person doesn't want to eat it, it's got to be bad. And Junie ate everything.

Frankie stared at the two plates of appetizers and grabbed the same one June had. She chewed it slowly and said, “It ain't that bad, Junie.” When June looked away she made a face. “Eww.” she mouthed.

I silently laughed.

Time passed. They were supposed to get here by seven, but it was a quarter after and I could practically hear my mom pacing in the other room. “They're late.” June stated. “Typical rockers.”

As if on cue the doorbell rung. We all froze and it seemed like the whole house went silent. Frankie looked at me, her brown eyes huge. “Oh, shit. It's them.”

“Play it cool. Don't get all fangirl on me.” I said, standing. I took a deep breath and exhaled. I could do this, I told myself.

I walked out into the hall and went to the front door. It was like I was moving in slow motion. It took me forever to get to the door. I took in a deep, calming breath and opened the door.

Jared and Shannon Leto, two-thirds of 30 Seconds to Mars, stood side by side on my porch, both of them had a bag of something in their hand. Food. I could smell it.

“Hi.” I said shyly.

“Sorry we're late.” Jared said, “We sort of got lost.”

I chuckled a little. “You know we cooked right?”

“Yeah, but we thought we'd bring something over. It's only polite.”

“Plus, he wasn't sure if you knew he was vegan.” Shannon told me, a tiny smirk on his lips.

“I was aware. And we've got that covered. Oh, god, how rude of me, come in.” I stepped aside and let the brothers in.

They both were in dark pants, and dark shirts, so I didn't feel too bad about my own attire. The sun was still out so they both wore shades which they removed once they were inside. They seemed happy to be out of the blazing Arizona heat. I couldn't blame them. I shut the door behind them and tried to take the bags out of their hands, but they insisted on carrying them themselves. Mom and Andrew, along with Frankie and June were in the hall now. I shifted from one foot to the other, nervously.

“Hello.” Jared said, his eyes first on my mom, them my two best friends who looked like they might melt under his gaze. I couldn't blame them, if things were different I might feel the same way, now it was just weird thinking of him as this sexy rock god.

“Hi.” They spoke in unison, like those creepy twins from The Shinning.

“Good to see you again, girls.” Jared said, “Hope you didn't get into too much trouble after the concert.”

June blushed. “None we couldn't handle.” Frankie insited.

There was an awkward moment of silence. I had no clue what to say. And neither did anyone else it seemed.

“I don't believe we've been properly introduced.” Shannon said politely, holding his hand out to Andrew who took it. “I'm Shannon. Jared's brother.”

“Andrew Bentley. Catherine's husband. Brie's step-father.” He put too much emphasis on the last part.
He shook Jared's hand too, but you could tell right away that neither one liked the other.

And we were off to a banging start of the evening.

Mom, not taking no for an answer, took the bags from the brothers hands and went into the kitchen. She hadn't said much, and I knew she was just eager to be away from everyone only if for a moment.

I ushered everyone into the living room, and insisted that they try an appetizer. “Help yourselves. Dinner should be ready soon. I'll be right back. ”

I could hear Frankie, my saving grace, spark up a conversation with the Leto's, asking how they were liking Phoenix so far, as I slipped out of the room.

Mom was standing by the stove, her back to me. “Mom.” I said softly. She stiffened, sniffled, and I could see her wipe her eyes before turning to face me. “Everything okay.”

“I was just making everything was still warm. Will you help me take it to the table.”

If she wasn't going to talk about it, I wouldn't ask. But I knew she was hurting. God, I didn't want to feel sorry for her. She brought this upon herself after all. I wanted to be mean, but couldn't. She was my mom, I love her, and I hated seeing her in pain.

But I said nothing. Now was not the time to have a heart to heart.

“On second thought. Go get your father,” she paused. “Andrew. I meant Andrew. Tell him to help me, and you go and entertain our guest.” Her back was still to me.

“Mom, It's fine, I'll-”

“Go.” she said with authority.

“Okay.” I whispered and left the room. “Andrew.” I said from the doorway, “Mom needs you.” He stood up, excused himself from the room. It seems that him and Shannon had been talking which really surprised me.

“Is she okay?” he asked in a whisper once he was within earshot.

I shrugged. “She wants you to help with the food.” He nodded and went off briskly, wanting to play hero to my mom's damsel in distress.

I looked back at the room and realized everyone was looking at me. I may have squirmed underneath their collective gaze. I gave them all a nervous smile and took a seat next to my new uncle. Jared was in one of the two armchairs, his fingers linked together on his lap. I tried my best not to look at him.

“So how was your day?” he asked. And I had no choice but to look his way.

“Fine. You?”

“Good. Good. Looking forward to dinner.”

“Does your grandma still have Sunday dinners?” Shannon asked.

“Um, not so much anymore. Only special occasions, holidays, birthdays, that sort of thing.”

“Too bad. We used to get invited to some. That woman could cook. Jared, you 'member that meatloaf she used to make, with that glaze.” He smiled and said, “Perfection.”

Suddenly I could imagine them both, scruffy teens, sitting at the dinner table with my mom and my grandparents having a meal. They seemed like they might have been a bit rough around the edges then, and I'm sure grandma had to set them straight a few times. She was a bit strict about certain things.

I smiled, my own memories flooding me. I used to enjoy those dinners too. We had them all the time when I was little and we were still living in Bossier City.

“The one with the peppers?” I asked.

“The very one.”

“She made one on Easter.”

He smiled. “Really. Lucky you. You think if I asked, would she make me one?”

“Well, it depends on how much she likes you.”

“I was a little angel.” he said with false innocence.

“Oh, I'm sure.”

We both laughed, and the conversation went on mostly like that. Jared made a few comments, but mostly kept quiet, but my two besties were as giddy as school girls, they were still a bit starstruck to do more than stare in awe.

“Dinner's ready.” Andrew said, appearing in the hall, “If you'll all follow me.” And we did.

Once in the dinning room, I had no clue where anyone was going to sit. Our dinning room table comfortably sat ten. Mom didn't seem to care where anyone say, but I knew better. She was just praying that Jared wouldn't be too close to her.

Mom sat next to her husband, who was on her left, Shannon was on her right, Junie next to him, trying to adjust in her chair. Across from mom was me, Jared to my left, across from his brother, and Frankie next to him, facing the pregnant one.

The food smelled lovely, and everything looked great. The food the brothers had brought was there along with ours on the table. With mom's say so we all began filling up our plates, like at the Sunday dinners with my grandparents, that Shannon had mentioned. For a few minutes no one spoke, only to say pass this, or hand me that. Once our plates were full, Andrew blessed the table.

I didn't pray much, well at all, but it was sort of tradition, and I did it only at times like these to appease my mother. She hated if i shrugged off things like this. The Leto's bowed their heads, they apparently knew the drill. Perhaps they prayed over their meals at home too. It somehow wouldn't surprise me.

Frankie and June looked at me. Neither were very religious. Frankie was a bit of an agnostic, and June, while she believed in god, wasn't the praying type. I was more in line with Frankie. I had not clue if a god existed. Some days I didn't care. I shrugged at my besties, and mouthed, “Just do it.” June did it. Frankie made a face. When Andrew saw her and she bowed her head too.

“Amen.” he said as he wrapped it up.

“Amen.” everyone said, their heads rising again. Well, I muttered it, June mouthed it, and Frankie didn't bother.

“Okay, everyone.” Andrew said, clapping his hands together one time. “Let's eat.”