Status: Sequel will be coming soon. :)

Keep Holding On

From Bad to Worse

The Morrison sisters sat in their tent long than they realized, just enjoying each others company. Lori calling to them from outside the tent is what pulled them back into reality.

"Angela, Layla time for dinner." The statement made it seem normal again, like they were all friends camping in the front yard rather than living in a world where the dead attack the living.

"Is it that late already?" Angela thought aloud as she climbed out of the tent.

"Yeah you two have been in there for a few hours." Lori replied

"Shit, didn't mean to. I should have been helping with chores."

"Don't worry about it, you two needed the time together." Lori said with a soft smile before heading towards the house.

"Sam!" Layla called looking for her faithful dog.

"Layla let her wander, she'll be fine. Let's get inside and eat." Angela said and the two went into the house.

Dinner wasn't as calm as Angela expected it to be. Shane was still seething about Randall being at the farm, and decided he'd bring the subject up once again midway through supper.

"You really think it's a wise choice to just let that kid go Rick?"

"We're going to let him out far away from here, he's not goin to know where we are." Rick answered earning a disbelieving look from his friend.

"Whatever man, I'm just sayin, what if he manages to find his group again and they manage to find the farm-"

"His group left him for dead, they're not looking for him. The decision is final Shane, we let him go, give him a chance to survive on his own." Rick stated leaving no room for argument. Shane scoffed, dropping his silverware on his plate and taking his leave.

"Just hope you know what you're doing." Were the last words he spoke as he left and the last words spoken through dinner. Angela thought the statement through and ultimately decided that Rick did know what he was doing, he was doing what he thought best for the group and would trust his decisions till the end.

Angela woke as the sun rose the next morning looked about the tent. Layla laid across from her fast asleep, but Samantha wasn't beside her. The loyal border collie didn't come when called after dinner and though it was unusual, Angela reassured her sister that nothing was wrong and they'd leave the tent open enough for the dog to slip in during the night. Now she began to worry, Samantha never strayed far before and these days were the worst time for her to start.

Angela tried pushing the thought from her mind as she headed towards the RV where Dale sat in his usual spot.

"Morning Dale!" She called drawing his attention to her.

"Good morning!" He smiled as she neared the vehicle and climbed up on the ladder.

"Need some company?"

"That would be nice, thanks." He said and she came to sit beside him. "Are you and Layla talking yet?"

"You noticed that huh?" Angela said

"I noticed her spending more time with Carl and Lori and it seemed she was avoiding you." Dale said. "Not that I'm trying to be in your business, I just want for the two of you to get along."

"I didn't think you were snooping Dale, you care about this group and want what's best for everyone in it. You're like the figure in this awkward little family we've somehow created." Angela described, sharing a laugh with Dale.

"If that's the way you want to put it." He chuckled. "But yes, I care for everyone in this group. We need to watch out for each other and stick together. Though I think we need to keep an eye on Shane." He explained quietly.

"You don't trust him either?" Angela questioned though she already knew the answer.

"No, I think he's dangerous. He's lost people, and he shot you. I'm just not sure if he has the group's best interest in mind or his own."

"You're not alone Dale. I don't trust him either and Daryl doesn't all that much, he trust him more than the two of us do, but he's kind of wary about him."

"Speaking of Daryl, anything going on between you two?" Dale asked cautiously.

"We're just friends, we've got each others back, and God I sound like a broken record." Angela groaned.

"Been asked that a lot?"

"Yeah, Lori and Carol, not to mention Shane's determined something's up."

"I'm sorry about that." Dale said looking from Angela to the fields again.

"It's fine, just wish they'd leave us alone. Just because we spend some time together doesn't mean we're together, he saved my sister, what am I supposed to do? Pretend he doesn't exist?" Angela ranted, though it wasn't all true.

"No you're not, it's fine that you're trying to pay him back for that, it's the right thing to do. Also you never answered me about you and Layla."

"Oh yeah, sorry, we talked yesterday and sorted things out. We're good now." Angela said and the relief was obvious in her voice.

"That's good, I'm glad you two talked things out."

"Me too." Angela said noticing that Lori began hanging clothes. "Well Dale this has been nice, but I'm going to see if Lori needs some help."

"Alright." Dale said as they young girl began to leave. Just as she began to climb down the ladder she stopped.

"Oh Dale, you haven't seen my dog, Samantha, have you?"

"No, she's missing?"

"Yeah, I mean, I'm assuming she's alright and looking around the farm, but I haven't seen her since last night."

"I'll keep an eye out for her." Dale said and Angela sent him a thankful smile.

"Thanks, well see ya later." Angela said before climbing down and heading to Lori, but before she got there Shane came running to her with a bit of blood on his clothes.

"Angela, you need to come with me, quick." He said quietly, but there was an urgency to his voice.

"What happened?" She asked fear sinking in.

"Just come with me, you need to see something." Shane stated urgently and Angela realized she wouldn't get any answers from him now.

"Alright fine." She said and Shane spun around and led her to the fields away from the camp. She didn't like being taken away from everyone, but she needed to know what was wrong and now.

They kept walking for a while until the trees of the surrounding woods came into walking distance. A bit if relief came to Angela when she saw Daryl at the edge of the woods, meaning she was no longer alone with Shane, but with Daryl's stance by the trees, she knew something was wrong.

"Shane what's going on." She demanded as they neared Daryl whose blue eyes were now fixed on Angela.

"I'm sorry Angela." Shane said and stopped a few feet ahead and looked down for a moment. Angela couldn't see what he looked at because of the tall grass that took over this area, so with a glance at the two men she stepped forward till she saw the body that lay hidden in the grass.

"Oh my God." Angela breathed as tears pricked her eyes. She dropped down to her knees, her eyes falling to the side that was torn apart and sob caught in her throat an tears fell down her face as she looked at her family's dog.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please don't hate me! I had to kill her I had to make things bad, I have a plan for this. So to my friend, my sister, Laura, I'm sorry. Lol you guessed it right away.

So I have over 300 readers now I believe. That is the most a story I have written has ever gotten. Thank you all for reading, subscribing, recommending an to those few who have commented, it means a lot to me.

Let me know what y'all think, I don't bite so don't be afraid to comment. Thanks again everyone! :)