Status: Sequel will be coming soon. :)

Keep Holding On

Unwanted Guilt

Night loomed over the farm; the warm day had turned into a cool night. It was no mystery that winter was soon approaching, even when a person had no idea of the day or time anymore.

A lone figure stormed from the brightly lit house, running a hand over his shaved head. Shane. He made his way down the steps and through the fields.

He didn't like Rick's decision, he despised it and didn't make an effort to hide it. How could Rick even think that giving that kid a canteen and sending him on his way was harmless? He had a group that tried to kill them and Rick was just letting him go, giving him a chance to survive. A chance to find his group and lead them back to the farm was the way Shane saw it.

Coming from his thoughts Shane finally took in his surroundings. His feet had carried him to the barn, where the root of the problem was locked up now. He stood there staring at the lock that kept the doors closed, kept the prisoner from escaping. He could end this now, it would be easy, much like leaving Otis for dead as he made his escape. Easy, simple. All he had to do was open the doors and kill him and all the troubles the kid brought would be gone.

Shane reached out to the lock with every intention of going in and ending Randall, eliminating part of the groups problem. Just as his fingers brushed the latch a low growl emitted from the shadows beside him. Instead of grabbing for his gun he reached down and grabbed the knife he carried on him and began backing away from the noise.

Clouds covered the moon, taking his only light to see by, so he kept walking. The growling ceased, but he knew he wasn't alone, there was something there with him.

Something hitting his leg made him jump into action. Fear coursed through his veins as he sank the knife into the creature, stabbing it repeatedly and hoping he'd hit its head. So lost in his panic of being basically blind through this, he never heard the sounds that left his victim as the knife entered their flesh.

He hesitantly stopped his attack when the body quit its movements. His breathing was heavy as he waited for any sign that the thing was still alive, but instead was relieved when he noticed the moon peaked around the clouds, illuminating the fields he was in. Shane took in quick notice that he had wound up by the trees, but the body that lay before his feet shocked him.

Shane woke in a start. That night haunted him. He'd never forget how the body looked when the moon light hit it. The worst part was he didn't want to care, the only reason he did was because of the young owner of that dog. Layla. He didn't want to hurt a kid, that's why he didn't kill Angela that night on the run.

The look on Layla's face at the funeral for the pet was what killed him, what made thoughts of the night plague his mind. He couldn't take the sadness, the brokenness in that look the ten year old held. Though he was a bit happy to be rid of the mutt, it wasn't worth it to see that look. Her eyes still held the sorrow she felt, even after days of the death, and he doubt the hurt would ever leave.

Shane dragged himself out of bed and began to get ready, desperately hoping the little girl's face would leave his mind so he could stop the guilt. The dog was just another mouth to feed, nothing more.

With agitated sigh, Shane ran his hands over his face and stood to leave his tent. Him and Rick were heading out this morning, going to drop Randall off, much to his dismay. If only he had killed the kid instead of that damn dog, things would be better and he wouldn't feel any guilt.
♠ ♠ ♠
A little insight on Samantha's death. Thanks for reading, subscribing and recommending.

Thanks Death_to_Roses for commenting and don't worry you're not alone, I hate Shane too.

Let me know what y'all think! :) Now time for me to get to sleep.