Status: Sequel will be coming soon. :)

Keep Holding On

Fixing Things

Tears stained everyone's faces as they looked down at their lost friend. Silence stretched over them after the gun shot resonated.

Dale was such a sweet soul. All he did was care about the group, knew everyone better than they thought. He was a saint and had a good head on his shoulders that helped the group make the choices needed to survive. Now he was gone, another life snatched from this vile world. The upside to this tragedy, he was most likely reunited with his late wife who he had lost so long ago to cancer long before the world ended.

"Alright, let's head back to camp. Shane, T-Dog we'll need to make a grave. The funeral will be in the morning." Rick said, his voice soft and full of grief.

Everyone slowly began to move, except Angela. She couldn't function, just kept holding on to Layla who buried her face into her neck. She stared at Dale's form laying lifeless on the cold ground until a hand was placed on her shoulder. She looked up to see Daryl. He gave her shoulder a squeeze as he came down to her level.

"Come on, no use in sittin' here anymore. Head back to camp, get her in bed." His voice was quiet as he spoke.

"He's gone." Angela's voice cracked with those two simple words.

"I know, it'll be alright though. Cryin' ain't gonna bring him back. B'sides you gotta worry bout her. C'mon Angel." He said helping her from her seated position. She adjusted Layla in her arms so she'd be easier to carry.

"Are you coming too?" She questioned and Layla looked over at Daryl too.

"Please Daryl, at least walk us back." The young girl asked.

"Go with them, then you can come help out." T-Dog said nudging Daryl's arm. "We've gotta get things from the house anyways before we can do anything and how can you say no to that face, c'mon man." A small smile pulled at their lips at the light gesture towards Layla.

"Alright let's go." Daryl agreed swinging his arm towards the camp and then they began walking. Angela kept having to adjust Layla in her arms along the way.

"Layla, you're too big for me to carry anymore." She mumbled after the fifth time.

"I know, I'm sorry." The young girl mumbled lightly followed by a yawn. Angela just hugged her tightly in response.

They made it back to camp shortly after much to Angela's pleasure. She was happy to finally tuck Layla into bed and after a quick good night to Daryl she climbed into her own, but sleep wasn't close.

Morning came with barely any sleep, Angela had passed out somewhere during the night, but it was hardly restful. Everyone was gathered around the freshly dug grave. Rick spoke a few words about Dale. Mentioned how Dale said this group was broken, and how they were going to prove him wrong, that they were no longer going to let the group fall apart. For Dale, everyone silently agreed.

"It's going to be a rough winter and with walkers starting to really come on the farm, I want y'all to move into the house." Hershel stated after all was said.

"Thank you, we appreciate that." Rick replied. "We'll start getting things up to move.

"Rick, I'm gonna take Daryl, T-Dog, and Andrea to check the perimeter make sure the fences are secure. Won't take too long." Shane said Rick agreed as everyone walked back towards the house.

Angela was beside Daryl watching Layla walk along side Carl. The two were chatting rather happily considering what has happened.

"Be careful out there okay." Angela stated glancing up at the taller man.

"'Course I will. Don't need ta worry bout me. Just keep yer eye on her." Daryl replied gesturing towards Layla then looking down at Angela slightly.

"I will." Angela said pulling the large coat she wore around her more.

"Where'd the coat come from?" Daryl asked next.

"It was Jamie's, found it in my bag. Guess I grabbed it by mistake when taking things out of my car. We had run out of gas on the outskirts of Atlanta when we lost Layla, that's where he he got bit protecting us. This stupid coat's really all I have left of him." She looked down at the jacket until she felt a hand on her shoulder then she looked up at Daryl's blue eyes.

"Ain't stupid, just big on ya." Daryl said biting his thumb. Angela looked down at herself, at the sleeves that kept falling past her hands and how the jacket went down to almost mid thigh.

"Yeah it is big on me." She laughed. "Jamie was pretty tall."

"Right well, gotta get goin'. Keep the Princess in your sights."

"Now who's worrying."

"Shut it." He said and sharing a look with Angela he walked off towards the waiting group.

Angela went about putting things from her tent in her bag, getting things ready to easily move into the house. She was glad they would no longer have to sleep out side, but to actually have walls surrounding them. It was going to be great.

The small group Shane took to check the fences came back not too long after they left. The small items were all packed away to be moved by the time they returned, all that was left was to take down the tents. Three out of four began to help out; Daryl just began to walk towards his camp. Angela wasn't going to let him go that easily.

"Hey!" She called as she ran to him. He turned and waited. "So did you guys find anything?"

"Couple of walkers, took care of them, but overall the fence is secure. You should get to helpin' them over there."

"They won't miss me for a few minutes. Are you gonna stay out here or come in the house with us?" She questioned shyly.

"Was goin' ta pack my stuff when you stopped me." He replied

"Oh, sorry. I just didn't like the thought of you staying so far away with walkers finding the farm and all-"

"I get it." Daryl interrupted "now get back to work, we can talk later." He stated with a smirk.

"Right, you too. Get to tearin' that tent down and you moving into this house." Angela said with a smile of her own. Daryl made a scoffing noise before walking off.

Angela turned to look back at the group. Everyone was working together on moving things to the house. She noticed a confrontation between Shane and Lori off in the distance, but dismissed it. Maybe Rick was right, maybe they would prove Dale wrong. This group wasn't broken, not anymore at least with everyone trying to fix it, and hopefully it would stay that way.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well here is the next chapter. This was actually relaxin to write because I've been so stressed lately, still am. This semester is almost over and I've got a paper to finish on Edgar Allan Poe's "The Raven" for tomorrow night and to study for two test. It's all too much for me to handle.

Thank you everyone who has read my story commented, subscribed and recommended. This story is coming to an end actually. Just a few more chapters to go. A sequel is planned though so don't worry, this adventure isn't over yet. Let me know what y'all think.