Status: Sequel will be coming soon. :)

Keep Holding On

Shadows In the Dark

Panic broke out as everyone rushed to the barn as fast as their legs would allow. Sure enough, the barn was empty, Randall was on the loose.

"He must've slipped the cuffs." Rick stated after picking up the bloody cuffs.

"Even if he slipped the cuffs, Daryl boarded up that opening up top. He had no way of getting out." Angela noted.

"Yeah well he managed to." Rick retorted.

"The lock was still in place, how could he have gotten out?" T-Dog informed.

"You don't think someone helped him out do you?" Angela asked as she looked around the group, an uneasy feeling in her stomach.

"Very few knew that lock combination, and no one from our group would have let him out." Rick said beginning to search around, with a few others, for any sign of Randall's miraculous escape. Angela's eyes kept scanning the group, someone was missing besides the few that remained in the house.

"Has anyone seen Shane?" Angela asked and everyone froze. Shane was not with the group when, in reality, he would have been one of the first.

"He was putting boards up earlier. To make a makeshift watch tower." Lori said cautiously, pointing towards the direction Shane had been in with one hand. The other pulled Carl tightly and protectively to her.

"He came to talk to me not too long ago, don't think he went back, but I'm not sure." Rick said placing a hand on his hip and running the other through his hair.

"Rick!" A voice called out catching everyone's attention quickly. They turned towards the voice to see Shane stumbling from the woods with blood running down his face.

"What happened?!" Rick demanded as he stormed over to Shane.

"The lil bastard caught me off guard. He's got my gun." Shane explained. "Ran off into the woods."

"Alright, Daryl, Glenn come with me and Shane. The rest of you stay here ad be prepared in case he comes back." Rick ordered

"Isn't this what we planned, to let him go?" Carol asked.

"Yeah miles from here, not where he knows where we are." Rick answered and everyone began to move.

"Daryl!" Angela exclaimed rather quietly, trying to go unnoticed by anyone else. The fear was evident in her voice as she pulled on his arm stopping him. He grabbed her arm pulling it away from his and placed her gun forcefully in her hand.

"Take this an' get back to the house to yer sister. Keep her safe." He said sternly.

"I... I didn't think Randall would do anything like this. I really don't think he did... I wanna come with y'all."

"No Angel. Get back to yer sister, she needs ya here, I'll be back soon." He began to lean forward but stopped himself, looking down at the girl before him. "Fuck it." He mumbled placing his lips against her forehead and his hand on the back of her head, not caring who saw the display of affection.

He pulled away quickly though and followed Rick and the others into the woods. Angela watched him leave before turning towards the house, he was right, Layla needed her here. She stopped short when she turned and saw the looks she received; T-Dog had a smile fighting its way onto his face despite the situation, Andrea's mouth hung open slightly, Lori's expression was difficult to read, partly disapproving and part happy for her? Not that Angela studied her face or anyone else's long, just quick glances.

"What?" She asked almost positive of the blush covering her face, but didn't wait for an answer as she headed towards the house. T-Dog matched her pace.

"You and Dixon huh?" He teased causing her to blush a bit more.

"Shut up T!" She said quickly her embarrassment evident and only confirming the answer more. T-Dog just laughed in response and patted her shoulder lightly.

The group made it to the house, but that didn't settle their nerves at all. Angela immediately went in and pulled her sister close, and just thought things over. For the longest time just waiting, Layla had managed to doze off while Angela ran her fingers through her hair, so the older Morrison rose from her spot on the floor and headed towards the door.

The cool breeze hit her as she walked out on the porch causing her to pull on the jacket she wore. Jamie's jacket. She missed him, it was weird not having her brother constantly looking out for her, though Daryl was beginning to take that role on was a bit comforting. Jamie was the one she could always rely on, no matter the situation he'd be there to help. She needed him now more than ever, especially since Daryl was off in the woods and the light was quickly fading with the setting sun.

A smile crept onto her face as she thought about Daryl and how she worried about him being out in the surrounding woods. She could easily hear him telling her to 'quit her damn worrying, that he'd be fine', of course he wasn't the only one she feared for. Rick and Glenn had become close to her as well, they were like family to her now and she hated the thought of losing either of them. Shane was a different story, she'd be a bit sad with how it would affect Carl and anyone else close to him, but other than that she'd be okay with losing him. He was nothing but trouble.

Angela wasn't sure how long she stood on the porch thinking, but it was long enough for the sun to completely set and darkness began to loom over the land. As Angela jumped up to sit on the railing and leaned back against the post, a gun shot rang out causing her to jump and then two figures caught her eye. Pulling the gun from the waistband of her jeans, she clutched the weapon close and flipped the safety off.

Her heart was pounding, she was pretty sure the whole farm could hear it, as the figures swiftly made their way to the house. She hopped down from the railing and held the gun up, ready to fire if needed.

"Put the fuckin' gun down!" The familiar southern drawl rang out putting the brunette at ease a bit. She let out a sigh of relief when Glenn and Daryl stepped into the light shining from the porch and appeared unharmed.

"Sorry wasn't sure who was out there. Where's Rick and Shane?" She questioned as they ascended the stairs.

"They ain't back yet?" Daryl asked unbelieving. Angela merely shook her head and followed him into the house, Glenn on their heels.

"Daryl, Glenn you're back!" Layla exclaimed running up to them and stopping by Daryl and Angela's side.

"Yeah, y'all sure Rick an' Shane ain't back yet?" Daryl asked.

"Why aren't they with you?" Lori questioned with worry evident in every syllable.

"We split up to cover more ground." Glenn explained from his spot beside Maggie.

"We heard a gun shot, maybe they found Randall." T-Dog said and Daryl shook his head.

"Nah we found him."

"Is he back in the barn?" Maggie asked.

"He was a walker only this is he wasn't bit, he had his neck broke." Daryl explained. Everyone was quiet for a moment until Lori crossed the room and placed her hand on Daryl's arm.

"Please, will you go out there and find them?"

"Yeah." Daryl said with a nod and turned to go out the door. He caught Angela's eye as she pulled Layla close and as he passed he placed a hand on her shoulder giving it a light squeeze.

Most followed Daryl and Glenn out the door to see him off and to see if they could spot the two missing people. Angela watched them leave the house but remained where she stood. At least she did until she heard Hershel tell Patricia to turn off the lights.

"Layla stay here, I'll be right back." She said as she went outside and made her way to stand by Daryl and see what everyone was looking at. The sight shocked her, hundreds of shadowy figures could be seen stumbling from the dark woods. It was terrifying to say the least. The sight would strike fear into even the bravest of souls. These were no mere shadows in the dark, these daunting figures were the groups worst nightmare. Walkers.
♠ ♠ ♠
So tried to give y'all a rather long chapter, since I haven't been updating frequently. Only a few more chapters left of this story then I plan to write te sequel starting with season 3 and not sure where it will go from there. Hope you all enjoy.

Thank you for reading, subscribing, recomending, and commenting. Means a lot to me! Also this story has over 500 readers now, or has been read, idk exactly. Lol anyways that's the most any of my stories have gotten and it makes me feel pretty accomplished, like I'm not just writing this for nothing. Thanks again everyone. Hope to update again soon! :)