Status: Progress

Caught in the Crossfire

Valentine Winters

It was stormy outside, just like she had expected when she woke up that morning. She had an early shift at the small, hole in the wall internet cafe. It had been a short work, consisting of her tying and retying her bright green infinity scarf tighter around her pale neck. Her hands had been buried deep in the pockets of her corduroy jumper.

There was a slight wind too, blowing her bright red hair all around her. But now that she had sought refuge in the warmer climate of the internet cafe, filled with the sweet aroma of tea and coffee, her body was warmed and a smile fell across her thin lips.

College students, looking to finish their theses and cram for their next biochemistry test sat at the sparse tables, their giant cups of energy stifling the desire and need for sleep. She let her eyes wander from person to person.

Messy hair and bleary eyes filled the small cafe. Angry words and unsolvable calculus problems made the small place tense and heavy with a dark atmosphere. Valentine smiled as the door jingled and she saw the darkening head of hair that was her boyfriend. He shook his hair out, the small rain drops falling away. His cerulean eyes glimmered when he saw her as he fixed the leather book bag over his shoulder.

He shuffled over to her, leaning over the counter to steal a quick kiss. His lips touched hers lightly, the familiar electricity raising her skin in delight. “How are you this morning, love?”

Valentine smiled. “Doing well. You?”

“Good. I didn’t see you this morning when I woke up. Did you have an early shift?” Niall asked slowly, scanning the menu above her head. “I’ll have...”

“You’ll have an Irish Creme Latte because you’re Irish an exceptionally predicable.” Valentine turned on her heel and began to work the espresso machine, putting a coffee cup underneath the spigot. The dark liquid dripped into the cup as she turned to watch her boyfriend closely. “You look like you didn’t get much sleep.”

He shrugged. “Not really. I had a lot on my mind.”

“Oh? You seemed to sleep well enough last night.”

“Before or after the cat got out?” He raised an eyebrow.

Valentine grinned. “After.”

“Well, it did get a bit toasty in the flat, didn’t? I found some ashes on my jumper and inside of my trainers,” Niall commented as he exchanged the latte for the money.

“This one’s on my, babe.”

Niall rolled his eyes. “Irishmen don’t let their girls buy them coffee. I’ll take you out to dinner tonight, how about that? Then we’ll go catch a film at the cinema or something.”

Valentine smiled and let him kiss her cheek gently. “That sounds lovely. I don’t believe we’ve been on a proper date in several weeks. I think it’s time for one.”

“Wear something nice. I have big plans for dinner.”

“Red or black?” she asked, referring not to the color of her dress, but to the color of her hair. “I’m partial to the red right now, but I’m willing to change it for you. The blue eyes are here to stay until I decide on another color.”

Niall winked at her on his way out the door. “Keep the red. It suits your skin tone.”

“Of course, love.” As Niall closed the door behind himself, a girl with dark brown, almost reddish hair stood in front of the counter, her thick, square rimmed glasses covering a thick set of dark eyelashes and almost green eyes. “What can I for you?”

“Chai Spice Mocha, please,” the girl answered absently. She pulled her mobile phone at and nervously checked it. “For Penelope, please.”

“Of course. That’ll be done in a few minutes and I’ll bring it right over.” Valentine turned after receiving the exact change for the beverage. Something was suspicious about the girl, and Valentine would find out what it was.

Somehow, some way.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry this is short, guys! I love the feedback we're getting! Keep it coming! Next up is Kate!!