Status: Progress

Caught in the Crossfire

Wren Parker

Wren walked briskly toward the diner where Louis worked. Her phone hadn't stopped ringing since she stepped out of her car, and she knew it was her friend Penelope calling asking where she was. Wren had a good enough excuse to not pick up.

The ringing finally stopped, but just as Wren was about to sigh with relief it started again. Letting out an irritated huff, she stopped and pulled out her mobile.

"Look Pen, I'm on my way to meet Louis," she hissed. "Can you please stop calling me for one minute?"

"Wren, you were supposed to be here half an hour ago!" Penelope whined, and then her voice dropped. "You know how awkward it is for me to be alone with him."

Wren sighed, running a hand through her hair as she picked up the pace again. Just a few more blocks to go.

"Chat to him, then. It's not like you're complete strangers. The two of you have been chatting and texting for a while now, right?"

"Yeah, I'd guess, but-"

Wren cuts her off. "Listen, I gotta go now. I'm sorry, but I have to catch him before he leaves. See you later." Wren cut the call before Penelope could protest, just as she rounded a corner and spotted Louis. He was kicking at the tires of his car aggressively.

Wren grinned when she saw him and slowed down her pace. She stopped a few feet away and crossed her arms in front of her chest, silently observing him.

"Stupid car! Why won't you start already?!" Louis yelled. He gave one last kick to the rear tires before turning around and leaning back against the car.

"You should have gotten the newer model, if you're into Mini Coopers. Unless, you're actually a fan of Mr Bean and just wanted something similar to his," Wren spoke up, snickering. Louis' head spun to her direction. He frowned when he saw who it was.

"What are you doing here? Why are you following me?" he asked, anger evident in his voice.

"Oh, Louis. That's no way to speak to a lady," Wren chided. She slowly walked towards him and pointed to the mobile phone in her hand. "I gave you three days to call me back but you didn't. Told you I'd be coming after that."

"So what are you going to do to me, huh? For all I know you're just some lunatic who's taken a personal liking to me. You're nothing but a creepy stalker!" Louis shouted at her, gesticulating wildly. "I saved that boy from a burning barn, that's all there is to it!"

Wren cocked her head to the side, her chocolate eyes cold and unwavering as she stared at Louis. She closed the gap between them, making Louis squirm under her glare.

"Listen here fire boy," she gritted out, all traces of her calm demeanor gone. "I know what I saw and I know what you really are. You are one of the Others, someone gifted with special abilities. So quit with the false pretense and let me help you."

Louis could only gape at her, speechless. How in the world did this stranger found out about his secret? His anger slowly diminished into pure curiosity.

"H-how did you find out about me?" He eyed Wren warily. "Just because of the fire?"

Wren gave a curt nod. "If you want answers, you will have to follow me. We're meeting a friend of mine who apparently knows someone like you; one of the Others. And don't worry. I'm not some insane creeper who wants to steal your powers. I just want to help."

Louis stared into Wren's warm brown eyes. She was quite the looker, with brown hair tied into two messy braids, pale, pink lips and a small, button nose. He scrutinized her and after a long sigh, finally decided he would go along with whatever it is she had planned. The fact that she knew someone else who was like him piqued his inquisitive nature.

"Leave your antique here. We'll take my car. It's parked a couple blocks down." She eyed his car for a moment before shaking her head. "Why do you even drive that thing?"

"In case you haven't noticed I'm a poor uni student who works at the local diner. That stupid Mini is the only thing I can afford, so if you could stop being an ass about it, I would really appreciate it," Louis replied, the sarcasm etched in his voice.

The smirk on Wren's face disappeared immediately and was replaced with a scowl. "That's real charming, Lou." Wren rolled her eyes before making her way back to her Beetle, Louis trailing along behind her in silence.

Image


Wren had never felt so uncomfortable and awkward in her life. Glancing up, she could feel the tension radiating from the other three.

She had met up with Penelope and Liam at a nearby internet cafe. It was the perfect place to meet as it was always so busy and noisy, that the patrons too engrossed in their own business to eavesdrop on them.

Penelope had been fuming about them being late, but Wren had put the blame on Louis, saying that if he had followed her plans (all he had to do was call her), it would have saved them a lot of time. Louis on the other hand, had defended himself, saying that he wasn't stupid enough to call a potential stalker. He had instances where girls left their mobile numbers on the diners' napkins, asking him to call them back, usually paired with a generous tip.

Penelope cleared her throat, breaking the awkward silence. "Um, thanks for coming. Sorry for dragging you here on a Sunday afternoon. I'm sure you have other plans," Penelope addressed the bored-looking Louis. The lad simply gave her a curt nod as acknowledgement. She stole a quick glance at Wren who shrugged and nudged her to continue. "As you lads can see, Wren and I have been good friends since secondary school. We're pretty close — we don't have secrets."

Louis cut in. "That doesn't explain where Liam and I come into the picture."

"Will you stop being such a wanker and let us explain?" Wren said exasperatedly.

"What I wanna know, is how in the bloody hell you managed to find us. I don't go about displaying my abilities, and I'm hundred percent sure that this gentleman," Louis gestured to Liam, "doesn't either."

"Calm down, mate," Liam said, placing a hand on Louis' shoulder. "Penelope had already told me the whole story while waiting for you and Wren. The girls have been watching us for a few months. They've had access to our confidential data, thanks to Penelope being such a whiz at hacking and cracking security codes." He glanced at the bespectacled girl, giving her a tiny smile.

"I learned about Louis from the fire incident," Wren continued. "Around that time, Pen was doing some research on the Others after stumbling upon a girl who used telekinesis to fight off some muggers. She never got to see the girl's face, though. Ever since then, Pen and I have been obsessed with trying to locate anyone else of your kind."

Louis frowned at Wren. "You said you wanted to help us. I don't see how you're helping by stalking us."

Penelope spoke up this time. "This is where the crazy part comes in." She rummaged through her knapsack and brought out a folder. "I'm sorry that Wren lied to you, Louis, but instead of us helping you, we need you - and Liam - to help us instead."

She slid the folder across the table to Louis who picked it up and flipped it open. There were newspaper cuttings about the recent bombings at the jewelry stores and other crimes throughout London. Louis took a look at the latest article.

A five-alarm in Midtown fire destroys jewelry store and neighboring buildings, killing three. Fire marshals are working with the building owner and residents to piece together clues about the disaster.

The fires continue to pile up, Tuesday night's being the fourth in a month, and it is getting more difficult for officials to deny the claims that London is being affected by a serial arsonist.


He dropped the folder like he had been burned, eyes wide. "I didn't do this."

"We know you didn't. You couldn't have done such a terrible thing," Wren said. "What we have concluded is that these crimes are all done by an Other."

"That's why we need your help, and Liam's too. We know how dangerous this person can be. The police are stumped right now, and we have to do something to stop the bodies from piling up," Penelope explained.

Louis looked at the girls incredulously. He shifted his gaze at Liam, surprised at how the other lad could take all of this so calmly.

"So you're saying that Liam and I are to become some kind of superheroes and stop this maniac from whatever he's doing?" Both girls nodded meekly and he grimaced. "I think you girls are bloody mental."

He stood up abruptly, tipping his chair over, and stormed out of the cafe.

Wren caught up with him quickly. "Lou, wait!" She grasped his arm and turned him around.

"Sod off, Wren! What you're asking me to do is insane!" Louis gritted his teeth. "I'm very happy living my life as a normal person. If that Liam chap wants to be a 'hero', it's his decision. But I'm not going to risk my life and let the whole world know what a freak I am!"

Wren stood silently, staring at the tanned lad. She shook her head sadly, her lips set in a straight line.

"I thought you could do good with your power," she said softly. "I didn't know you would turn out to be such a coward."

Louis was about to retort when a loud blast was heard. Everyone started running and shouting, panicked expressions on their faces. Both Louis and Wren ran towards where the blast was heard.

"Oh my God," Wren breathed. Louis could only clutch his sides, panting for air as he stared at the mass hysteria in front of them.
♠ ♠ ♠
So I've made both Wren and Louis to be asses, that I don't even know who's the bigger ass, lol.

Brownie points to those who can spot Ashton in this chapter. :))

Major cliffhanger there. ;)

Thank you for all the comments, subscriptions and recommendations! Keep them coming in!