Status: Hiatus

Breathing

;what a sad, beautiful, tragic love affair

"It's just a sprain, it should heal fairly quickly." Carlisle said gently as he bandaged Annabelle's injured hand.

"Trying to walk and chew gum again, Annabelle?" Emmett smirked as she leant on the desk.

"I punched Jacob." She answered.

"Badass. You're gonna be one tough little newborn." As soon as Emmett finished speaking, Rosalie dropped her papers and stormed out of the room. "Ignore her."

Edward, Jasper, Carlisle and Emmett began to talk about Victoria, but Annabelle didn't hear anything as she followed Rosalie out to the balcony.

"Go blather to someone else about the joys of becoming a newborn." Rosalie spat.

"Okay. Rosalie, whatever I did to make you hate me so much - I'm not sorry." Annabelle spoke truthfully, she was done with the Rosalie treated her when she had done nothing to the girl.

Rosalie whispered a laugh and looked behind her at Annabelle. "I don't hate you." She said, looking forward again, "I envy you."

"What?" Annabelle asked. "That's ridiculous."

"No, it's not. You have a choice. I didn't - none of us did." Rosalie looked back to her, "And you're choosing wrong. I don't care how miserable you're human life is."

"My life isn't miserable." Annabelle said, walking forward to stand next to Rosalie. "I mean - sure - it's not perfect. No one's life is perfect."

"Mine was." Rosalie smiled. "Aboslutely perfect. There were things I still wanted. To be married with a nice house and a husband who kissed me when he came home. A family of my own." Annabelle couldn't help but feel for Rosalie, she wanted all these things that Annabelle would happily give up to be with Edward. "Royce King was the most eligible bachelor in town - I barely knew him. But I was young, I was in love with the idea of love. On the last night of my life, I left a friend's house late, I wasn't far from home.." Rosalie went onto explain how Royce and his friends had abused her that night. It was so strange to imagine that Rosalie - this beautiful, powerful and strong woman had been so weak once. And it made Annabelle feel a pain deep inside of herself. "They left me in the street thinking I was dead, believe me I wanted to be. Carlisle found me, he smelled all the blood, but he was helping me."

"I'm so sorry." said Annabelle painfully.

Rosalie smiled widely at her. "Don't be. I got my revenge on them. One at a time. Saved Royce for last so he would know I was coming. I was a little theatrical back then." She smiled to herself, but it soon faded. "Things got better after I met Emmett, but we'll always be this. Frozen. Never moving forward. That's what I miss the most, possibilities, sitting on a front porch somewhere, Emmett - grey haired by my side surrounded by our grandchildren, their laughter."

"I understand that's what you want, Rosalie. And it's beautiful. And I'm sorry you'll never have it." Annabelle said softly. "But I want Edward."

Rosalie looked to her. "You're wrong again." Annabelle frowned at her. "You're not sure what you want. Edward, or that dog." She huffed, "Sorry, werewolf."

"I know what I want." Annabelle spoke.

"Do you?"