Status: Hiatus

Breathing

;you're in my veins and i cannot get you out

"You're not fighting?" Jacob asked Edward as he approached them on the field. Annabelle tried not to pay attention to the fact that he was shirtless. Again. "What? Did you pull a muscle or something?"

"He's doing it for me, okay?" Annabelle spoke, a little more edge in her voice than she had intended.

"Whatever." was Jacob's reply. He looked to the ground. "Just tell me the plan."

"This field will give us advantage in battle. We need to attract them here with Annabelle's scent." Jasper said. "It needs to end here."

"Edward and I are going to a campsite." She told Jacob. "Even if he carries me, they'll still pick up on our scent."

"Your stench, however, is revolting." said Edward lowly.

"Dude--" Jacob started, but Annabelle cut him off.

"What he means, is that your scent will mask mine if you carry me," She said unsurely.

Jacob didn't need to think before he nodded, "Done."

"This is not a good idea." Edward said quietly.

"Edward, they won't wanna get anywhere near his.." Jasper looked to Jacob, finding the most un-offensive word he could. "Odor."

"Okay," Annabelle spoke up, honestly wanting to get away from the bickering. "Let's just try it." She walked over to Jacob, awkwardly wrapping her arm around his neck as he lifted her into his arms.

"Eau de wolf, coming up." Jacob said as he held her.

"Run."

And he did. Until they were inside the forest and hidden from the vampires by the safety of the trees.

"So, are you gonna ask me to sit out of the fight too?" Jacob asked her, "Or don't you care about my safety?"

Annabelle shook her head at him. "Don't be stupid - of course I care. But you'd say no, wouldn't you?"

He thought for a moment, keeping his eyes on the path infront of them. "I wouldn't have a choice, anyways. Since I let Sam be Alpha Male - I gotta live with the shots he calls."

"Since you let Sam be Alpha?" She looked up at him. "You could've been the Pack Leader?"

"I didn't want to be in a pack, let alone be it's leader." Jacob answered.

"Wow." Annabelle nodded her head at the thought of Jacob being the leader of his pack. "Chief Jacob. I like it."

Jacob whispered a laugh. "Opted out. But every choice has it's consequences. Some more than others."

Annabelle sighed silently, knowing exactly what he was referring to. But, in her mind, she hadn't chosen Edward. Not entirely. "Don't start." was all she said.

He ignored her, "You can love more than one person at a time. I've seen it - with Sam, Emily and Leah."

"Well - I'm not a wolf - I can't imprint!" She said louder, becoming exasperated.

Jacob stopped in his tracks and stared down at her, "It has nothing to do with imprinting." He said, "It has to do with.. feeling something for somebody. And I know you feel something for me." His voice was so quiet, and she was so close to him she could feel his breath on her face. "I can sense how I make you feel, physically." He smirked slightly, "I make you nervous." Jacob leaned so close to her that her foreheads touched, but she moved away.

"Jake--"

"I know." Jacob sighed but smiled, looking forward and walking again. "Don't worry. I promised I wouldn't kiss you again until you asked."

Annabelle went to say something, but held her breath and looked away from him. Before, she would have just ignored Jacob, knowing that he would never change her mind. Jacob made her feel something. With Edward, she was happy - but, she made him sad - because she wanted to feel alive. But, was dying for it worth it?

She wanted to feel free.

When she was with Jacob, it was unpredictable. Like she was free.

-

Annabelle closed the door of her truck just in time to hear her father tell Alice not to be a stranger. She smiled to herself and walked towards the vampire.

"Your alibi for the battle is all arranged." said Alice. "I told your father that our whole family is going camping this weekend - so you and I are having a sleepover at my house. Charlie's going fishing anyway."

Annabelle raised her eyebrows. "Charlie? You guys are on a first name basis now?"

"Me, he likes." She smiled. "Actually, you and Edward will have the house to yourselves tonight."

Her eyes widened. "Oh - oh, okay."

"You're welcome." Alice grinned at her.

Annabelle watched her leave as she swallowed the lump in her throat.