Status: Hiatus

Breathing

;mommy i didn't mean to disappoint you

"Aren't you going to miss this?" Renée asked as she and her daughter soaked up the sunlight.

"Yeah, I am gonna miss this." She wasn't going to miss the sun. She would miss her mother.

"You know, colleges in Florida are a lot sunnier." Renée told her slyly. "I'm just saying, if you go to the university in Alaska, I'm never gonna see you."

Annabelle quickly attempted to make up an excuse. "They have a really great science programme."

"You mean 'Edward programme'?" Renée corrected. "The way he watches you -- it's like he's ready to jump in front of you and take a bullet for you, or something."

Annabelle looked to her mother. "That's not a bad thing."

"It's an intense thing." Renée retorted. "You're different with him. He moves, you move. Like magnets."

"I don't know," Annabelle said, glancing back at the house where she saw Edward was listening. She smiled. "We're just.."

"In love." Renée finished. "I get it. I just want to make sure you're making the right choices for you. Anyway--" She stood up, "enough of the heavy." She was gone for a moment, and came back with a blue wrapped box with a ribon. "Congraduation!"

Annabelle winced, but smiled. "Mom, I didn't want you to spend any of your money." She whined as she took the gift.

"Ah, I didn't. Come on,"

Annabelle looked at her mother once more before proceeding to un wrap the box. She grinned when she saw her present. She looked up at Renée. "Are these all our old trip t-shirts?"

"M-hm." Renée chirped.

"Wow," Annabelle said as she inspected every aspect of the blanket.

"I thought they'd make a good quilt. Keep you warm, up in Alaska."

"This is amazing." Annabelle smiled. Renée was talking but she wasn't listening. She was thinking about how she'd never see her mother again, never see her mother's smile. For a second she hated herself for what she was doing, but then she remembered why. Edward. Without giving it a second thought, she wrapped her arms around Renée. "Thank you."

"I'm glad you like it." Renée replied. "I just thought - you should have a little piece of me, up there in Alaska."

"Mom," Annabelle started, re-arranging the words in her head. "I'll miss you."

"Oh, honey." Renée said, "I'll miss you too."