Status: Hiatus

Breathing

;distance, timing, breakdown, fighting

Edward pulled up into to the school parking lot, sighing as he took his keys out of the ignition. "Do you regret going?" He asked Annabelle.

She looked at him, frowning. "No, of course I don't. I just didn't want to say goodbye to her."

"It doesn't have to be goodbye."

"Is that why you asked me to go? You thought I was going to change my mind?"

Edward smiled slightly, facing her. "I'm always hoping for that." His head suddenly turned to look out of his car window.

"What?"

"If I asked you to stay in the car, would you?" Edward asked before opening his door and getting out of the car. Annabelle undoubtedly followed him. "Of course not." Edward grimaced.

They began walking towards the school, and that's when she saw him.

Jacob.

Annabelle began walking quicker towards him, Edward indifferently able to keep up. Jacob closed the gap in between them by taking a few strides.

"Jacob," She breathed, wrapping her arms around his neck and pulling him into her embrace.

Jacob's hands were only on her for a second before Edward growled quietly and Jacob pulled back hesitantly. "Charlie said you left town," Jacob spoke.

"Yeah, I did, to see my mom. Why?"

Edward smiled tightly. "He's checking to see if you're still human,"

"Look, I'm here to warn you." Jacob said, "If your kind come on our land again,"

"Wait, what?" Annabelle asked both, glancing inbetween them.

"You didn't tell her?"

"Just leave it alone, Jacob."

"Tell me what?"

"Emmett and Paul.. had a misunderstanding." Edward said uneasily, making sure to word everything in the right way. Annabelle's eyes widened anyway. "It's nothing to worry about," Edward tried to assure her.

"Listen to you," Jacob snickered. "Did you lie to get her out of town too?"

"Just leave," Edward threatened, stepping closer to Jacob. "now."

"She has a right to know." Jacob said lowly. "She is the one the red head wants."

The red head.

The red head.

In the silence, everything suddenly fell into place. Something Edward didn't want her to know. Something Jacob wouldn't have kept from her. It was never going to end, was it? "Victoria?" Annabelle asked, her voice cracking. Edward's eyes closed and he wished he could turn back time. Or kill Jacob - that would work. "Alice's vision.." She said in realisation as she faced Edward.

"I was trying to protect you." Edward told her. Jacob whispered a laugh.

"Lying wasn't the way to do it, Edward." She said quietly, moving her head in small shakes. "Ok, we're going to talk about this." Annabelle told Edward before looking to Jacob. "Jacob.." His eyes connected with her's. "You never called me back. Or came to see me. I've been trying to reach you for weeks." She felt Edward flinch at her side but she didn't care.

Jacob stared intently at her, searching her eyes. "I had nothing to say." He began to move away, back to his bike. Annabelle couldn't have that. She couldn't have him walk away -- leave her. Not again.

"I have tonnes, Jacob! Wait!" She called and went to walk over to him, but Edward grabbed her wrist. "Edward, you have to trust me." She said.

"I do trust you, Annabelle," Edward spoke quietly. "it's him I don't trust."

She moved closer to the vampire. "I told you, Edward." She then whispered, "I have until graduation." Annabelle didn't wait for his approval, she turned and walked to Jacob who was now sitting on his bike. She climbed on behind him, their bodies touching. Jacob passed her a helmet and she placed it on her head. Annabelle glanced to Edward, attempting to give him a smile. She knew he was despising every second of this.

Jacob kick-started the motorcycle, and whilst grinning he told her, "Hold on tight."