Status: Hiatus

Breathing

;we are an example of why not to fall in love

The first thing she noticed when she opened the door to him was that his eyes were pure black - darker than the night. The colour they changed to when he was angry, or upset.

"Do you understand how worried I've been?"

"I was perfectly safe,"

"I almost broke the treaty to make sure that--" Edward stopped himself, Annabelle frowned at him. "Something's wrong." He ran up to her room at his speed, and when she got there she saw him holding the dream catcher Jacob had given her.

"Edward, what is it?"

"Someone's been in here."

-

"Who is it?" Carlisle asked, "Someone we know?"

"A stranger." Edward replied lowly. "I didn't recognise his scent."

"No man passing through?"

"A passer-by wouldn't have left her father alive."

Jasper and Emmett entered, "The scent disappears around five miles south of Annabelle's house."

"Someone's orchestrating this," Carlisle sighed.

"Victoria?"

"I would have seen her decide."

"It has to be the Volturi."

"I don't think it's the Volturi, either." Alice said, "I've been watching Aro's decisions, too."

"So we keep looking."

"We'll also take shifts guarding Annabelle at her house."

"Another protection detail?"

"Rosalie--"

"No, she's right." Annabelle spoke up. "You can't watch my dad, hunt, search for the intruder and Victoria, and protect me."

"I'm not leaving you here defenceless." Edward told her.

"I'm not going to let you starve." She said, "Besides, I wouldn't be defenceless. I have.."

"What?"

-

Annabelle walked down the stairs to her house with Jacob following. They stopped when they reached Edward who was waiting for them.

"Whoever it was left their scent behind." Jacob said. "It'll be hard to miss when we cross it again. We can handle it from here."

"We don't need you to handle anything." Edward spoke, his eyes reflecting what he was feeling. "Or anyone."

"I couldn't care less what you need."

"We're done here."

"No, you're done here."

"Stop!" Annabelle demanded loudly. "Please stop fighting."

Edward hated the idea. But it wasn't about rivalry anymore. It was about her safety. And in the days that followed she got them to at least try to work together. The wolves took over so the Cullens could hunt.

It wasn't exactly an easy alliance.