Status: Comment please! c:

So Long, Soldier.

So Long, Soldier.

I guess it contains slight Taylex bashing? Idk. It’s supposed to be sad but it’s really cliché and idk, don’t read it if you don’t like Jalex and stuff.

He had watched Alex flaunting her. His arms were always around her whenever they were together, and he was always murmuring something into her ear that made her smile broadly. As much as he tried to get over Alex, and as much as he tried to like Taylor, he was still madly in love with him, and still really, really loathed her existence for taking his shot with Alex right out from under him and leaving him to see the sickening sight of them every single bloody day.

The only two people that knew how much he felt for Alex were Rian and Zack, and they always tried to insist upon telling Alex himself, but as Jack said, what was the point? He was with Taylor now, and they were… happy, something that he, unfortunately, hadn’t felt in a long time.

The worst part was the loneliness. Before that… that bitch had come along, Jack and Alex had been best friends. They’d always been there for each other, because that’s what best friends did – they consoled you when you were upset and were fighting your side when you were in a fight. Alex knew how much Jack disliked Taylor from the very beginning – although he didn’t know why. The reason being simply that since they were best friends, Jack could tell when Alex liked someone (otherwise, he’d be a pretty crappy best friend). And Alex liked Tay. And Alex got together with Tay, even when Jack hated her.

Did that make Alex a shitty friend, or Jack one for hating her for such a pathetic reason?

Now, they weren’t best friends. Jack hung around with him, but rarely. Tay was around every other day, and Jack tried so hard to convince himself that it was just her being clingy, because that’s what girls did – they clung. But the truth was, he wasn’t sure. Alex was the ideal boyfriend. Flowers, roses, stolen nights under the stars – Jack had watched it all, and he’d each time he was jealous of whatever girlfriend he had at the time.

The fact was, they hung out around once in a fortnight. It was Jack’s fault, sure, and he missed him like crazy, but he didn’t want to ruin Alex’s happiness, and every time they were around one another, the urge to tell him his feelings came out stronger than the time before, and one of these days, Jack would tell him, and that would ruin his life, wouldn’t it? Alex would reject him and Jack would simply die inside. He wouldn’t be able to fake an award winning smile after that. He’d be monotonal, and the fans would wonder what happened, but Jack wouldn’t care. All Time Low would fall apart, and what about the countless amounts of people they’d saved? There was a whole list of reasons not to do it.

Jack and Alex weren’t best friends any more, and that in itself broke his heart.

This goes to show that Jack Barakat had a lot to think about as he was driving back to the venue from the grocery store. It wasn’t really his fault that his mind wandered even if for a second. It just happened to wander at the wrong time. He should have put his foot down on the brake, but he pelted forwards instead.

Smash.

The wail of car sirens.

The groan of a female as she straightened herself up, and seen the young man, a bloody, crumpled mess on the floor.

Then nothing.

***

Two weeks.

That was how long both Jack Barakat and Alex Gaskarth had been in hospital. The doctors had tried to move him – they really, truly had, but he refused. They asked him about his shows, to which he replied there were no shows – not without Jack.

Jack had been in a coma during those two weeks. They’d flown by in a blur, a blur of tears and heartache and pain. There was just so many things Alex needed to say, so many things he needed to do, and it took Jack being in a coma to realise that. The first week had passed, and on the second day of that week, Tay had been dumped. It didn’t make him feel anything except for remorse that he’d led her on this far, but really – they’d been together 2 months, and he hadn’t touched her – not like that. Maybe she should’ve figured out sooner that he was only using her, selfishly, to get the person of his dreams.

The person of his dreams that was in his hospital bed, needing a tube to breathe and eat.

***

“Alex, you really need to come back.”

“Alex, mate, really. They’ll call you when Jack’s out of his coma.”

“Just come home, you can have a shower, some food and a lovely, long sleep. How does that sound?”

His reply to it, every time, whoever it was to, was simply, “I won’t leave him.”

He’d been for a shower and eaten some chips by the start of week four. He’d always been eating, of course, just no proper meals. Dark circles were under his eyes, and he was dropping the weight so quickly he himself was in danger of coming into the hospital. He didn’t notice this, though. He was watching him. Staring at him and letting the beep, beep, beep of the heart monitor soothe him. He waited day after hour after minute for Jack’s eyes to flutter open, to see the chocolate brown eyes just one more time and tell him one thing.

I love you, Jack.

I’ve always loved you, and I was so stupid to ever try those crazy schemes to try and get you to notice me.

I don’t care if you don’t love me back, because I’m here. I’m here for you and we’re going to get through this.

***

“Zack told me something today,” Alex says softly, nibbling on the edge of his cornetto, “He told me you love me, Jack.” He allows himself to smile, “And that’s good, because I love you, too. But we haven’t told each other face to face, have we? Which means,” He concludes, “That you’re going to wake up. The world isn’t cruel enough to kill you, not when I haven’t told you that I love you.” He laughs to himself slightly, “Isn’t that great, Jack? You’re going to wake up!”

He leans over and kisses Jack’s cheek softly, licking off the traces of icecream he leaves there, “You’re going to wake up.”

Beep, beep, beep, beep, beep.. beep.. beep… beep….

beep….

beep…

beeeeeeeeeep…

“Jack?” Alex frowns, “Jack, why’s your heart monitor–”

It’s happening too fast, but it’s all going so slow. Alex is getting ushered out of the room whilst doctors are rushing in, and someone’s yelling. Someone’s yelling Jack’s name over and over, screaming it. Alex’s throat is hurting.

Alex is screaming.

Alex is hysterical.

He tries to claw his way back in. He needs to see Jack. He needs to help him, he needs to be there for him. He loves him.

No no no no no no no

I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I-

“I’m sorry,” The doctor says as he steps outside, looking at Alex apologetically, “There’s nothing we can–”

“No!” He screeches, bursting into tears and falling onto his bum in the middle of the hospital. He refuses to believe it. Jack isn’t gone, they’ve got the wrong person because Jack’s the survivor, and Jack hasn’t told him it yet. The world isn’t that cruel; not to Alex.

“Would you like to say goodbye?” The doctor asks Alex, and he’s not sure if he’s up to it because he’s bawling his eyes out. But Jack isn’t dead, they’ve got the wrong person. He needs to go in and prove it’s not Jack, prove he’s not dead. So he stands up, stumbling into the room. He asks the nurses to leave, and when they protest he yells at them. He approaches Jack’s bed, staring over him.

“Please,” Is the first word that comes out as a croak, “Please, Jack,” Because it’s definitely him. It’s definitely his Jack. “I know this is all some elaborate joke, Jack, just like I did, right? A scheme to get you to admit it. To get me to admit it. I won’t be mad,” He presses, “I won’t be angry with you. Just sit up, Jack, just sit up and laugh because I’m being so stupid and soppy and–” He cuts himself off. “Jack, please.”

“I love you.”

He repeats it, over and over, for what seems like an eternity. He’s shaking and the tears are pouring out of his eyes but he awaits patiently, waits for Jack to wake up.

Every second that passes is another bit of Alex that shrivels up and dies inside.

And then it hits him.

Jack’s dead.

He’s not waking up.

Alex stands on shaky legs, leans close to Jack, and presses his lips softly to Jack’s. He pulls back, and rests a hand on his cheek longingly. “S-S-Sleep tight,” He whispers softly, “D-Don’t let the b-bed-bugs bite.” He pulls away completely, and pulls the duvet over his head. “I love you,” He says softly, finally, and walks out of the hospital, numb, void, and dead inside.
♠ ♠ ♠
I enjoyed writing this, one of my better ones!