Bring Me Her Head

Chapter 1:

“Pete, Are you ready to go?” His friend called from the living room, sliding another wooden stake into his belt.
Pete walked into the living room, pulling a hoodie over his bullet/stake proof vest. “As I’ll be.”
The blonde nodded. “Andy and Joe headed out in the daylight. We’re meeting up with them.”
The dark haired elder looked distant. “Alright.”
They headed out to the car.
Half an hour later, they parallel parked besides two similarly dressed guys.
“Well?” Asked the blonde, coming around the car.
A slightly taller guy with curly hair pointed across the street. “We followed two vampires from a bar. They went into that building.”
“Gangsters, Dandies?”
“Neither.” Input the last guy.
“They looked normal. Maybe foreigners?”
Pete looked pensive, watching the building. “Did you see anyone go into the building before them?”
Curly shook his head. “Nope.”
“It’s a nice building.” Blonde pointed out. “You think it’s one of Beckett’s?”
Pete shrugged. “Maybe.”
Blonde pointed to Curly “Joe, you and Andy see if you can get in through a back exit or something.”
“What about you guys?”
“We’ll head in through the front and see what we can find.”
Joe nodded, walking off with Andy.
Pete and the blonde guy headed for the front door of the building.
The building had a doorman, who nodded to them as they climbed up the steps, opening the door as they got to it.
They walked through the spotless lobby and over to the elevators.
Pete reached out his friend’s arm, “Patrick.” As the man looked back, he nodded towards the stairs.
Ducking into the stairwell, they started heading up. Pete leading the way.
As they got to the 20th floor, Patrick stopped, leaning against the stair rail panting. “How much farther?”
Pete started the stairs up to the 21st floor. He got there and was about to head for the 22nd, when he stopped. “Here, 21st.”
Patrick sighed and finished the journey, stepping into the carpeted hallway.
Pete had already started walking, and Patrick followed him to the left of the door and then around a corner.
Patrick opened his mouth to ask where they were going, when he saw the open door Pete was heading for.
A foot from the door, Pete leaned heavily on the wall, clutching his neck. As his back touched the wall, a scream followed by a crash, came from inside the room.
His friend caught up, “Pete, are you alright?”
“Fine!” He mumbled through his teeth, large canine fangs sliding down.
Shoving off the wall, the vampire walked through the open doorway and into the room.
Patrick took out his phone and texted the floor and room number to Joe, and was just slipping the phone back into his pocket when there was a crash in the room.
He pulled a stake out of his belt and rushed in.
The lights were out as he entered the room, though he could see silhouettes fighting before the illuminated windows.
The room that had previously been silent was now filled with snarls and growls, along with crashes as furniture was destroyed.
One of the vampires went through the window and presumably fell all 21 floors.
As the fight continued, the two remaining vampires lunged at each other.
Suddenly the overhead light came on and Patrick shielded his eyes from the drastic change.
There was more movement and a shriek before silence.
“What the hell?” Came Joe’s voice.
Opening his eyes, Patrick saw Pete on his knees on the floor, holding an unconscious body close to his own.