Been Here All Along

[1/3]

I looked around, scared at first because I didn't know where the hell I was. There were thousands of people surrounding me all in a cluttered mess, sorrow in some eyes and excitement in others. They were all awaiting the moment when they would know if their loved ones were home or if they had been lost to the dreadful thing we call war. I could hear the planes taking off in the distance and others landing with hard thuds, but my brain was as foggy as swamp and I couldn’t seem to concentrate on anything. But in the next moment, I began to see camouflage appearing from under a sign titled “GATE F.” The feeling in my stomach and the rapid beat of my heart behind my left breast made me come to the realization that this was actually happening; he was actually here.

Even after all these years his electric blue eyes were smiling at me, and even from yards away I could tell they were screaming my name. I dropped my things and rushed over to his open arms because they too were also calling. When I reached him, his protective arms wrapped around my waist and assured me that everything was going to be alright. His lips, both soft and sweet, pulled upward in the gesture of a smile as tears began to stream down my face. My breath was ragged because I was at a total loss for words. How long had it been? Almost five years at the most since I'd last seen him. I'd missed being in his arms; and even in this moment it still felt so bittersweet.

“Andrea,” he spoke in a deep voice, his lips just inches from mine. I could feel the heat radiating off his body; his mouth so close that our lips were almost touching.

“Yes?” I breathed, my eyes never breaking his gaze. I was so amazed and hypnotized by how electrifying his eyes looked, almost as if they weren’t real. None of it felt real.

Then, in a softer voice, he whispered, “It's time to wake up.” Suddenly, his grip loosened from around me and I was falling. I fell so far that none of this could be real. And it wasn’t, because right before I hit the ground I woke up to the life I call a nightmare.
♠ ♠ ♠
©alyssasaavedra. 2012