Status: Work in progress

Last Chance

Final Cut

Coach blew his whistle and we all dropped on a knee at centre ice.
"Great practice ladies! I want to thank you all for taking the time to commit to tryouts and the final cut will be posted on my office door in an hour or so."

We all got up to skate off the ice and hit the shower. Relax Kelly, it's going to be fine. Last year they told you everything you needed to work on and you did that. You're going to make the cut this year. I told myself. I better make the cut this year. I was twenty four and I had told myself that this year it was it. If I couldn't crack the national team I would put my dream of playing for Canada into the vault and move on with life.
"Hey Kel, you okay?" Andrea asked as I untied my skates.
"Yeah, just nervous. This is it for me Andrea, if I don't make the cut I'm done."
"Don't sweat it Kelly, you're going to make it. You killed it out there."
"Thanks, but I won't be able to relax until the list is posted." I sighed as grabbed my towel and jumped into the shower.

******

I got dressed and took a deep breath before exiting the locker room. I realized my hands were shaking when I pushed the door open. I climbed the stairs up to coaches office to see a crowd gathered around his door. I closed my eyes and counted to ten. I slowly made my way towards the door and scanned the roster. It was listed alphabetical and halfway down the sheet, my name shot off the paper. Kelly Nelson Defense.
"Holy shit." I whispered. "I did it."
I was nearly knocked off my feet by Andrea who threw her arms around me.
"You did it! I knew you would! Congratulations!"
"Congrats to you too! We're going to be a killer defense line."
"I know right. Let's go celebrate!" Andrea squealed.
"Thanks, but I'm going to walk and get my brain together. We'll meet up for dinner thought kay?"
"Sounds good!" Andrea said as she walked out of the training centre.

I threw my gear in the car and then put my earbuds in. I cranked my ipod to my best pump me up song and started heading towards the park across the street. I let myself get lost in the music as I walked through the park. My mood was so good that I was dancing and singing like a lunatic in broad daylight, in public. I was definitely not a dancer so this was a big deal. I was still dancing when I made my way back to the parking lot. I didn't notice anyone or anything, I was in my own world. I put my key in the door of my car to unlock it and was startled when a felt a hand on mine. I looked up to see the eyes I knew so well, and had missed for so long. Suddenly my stomach was in my throat. This was the last place I ever expected to see them.

"Hey Kel. I'm going to assume your ridiculous dance moves and good mood coincide with final roster being posted?"

I looked up and locked eyes with him, speechless. All I could do was nod, trying to figure out why he was here and why he suddenly decided that I was good enough to be back in his life.
♠ ♠ ♠
hey guys, so I'm not too sure where I'm going to go with this but the idea has been stuck in a my head for awhile. I'd like to know if you think I should keep going with it.