Status: Work in progress

Last Chance

Introductions

I entered the locker room and threw my stuff into my locker. My heart was racing after all the cardio and I was trying to control my breathing to bring it back to normal. I saw him standing in the hallway during practice. Watching intently as we ran our drills. He never took his eyes off of me and when I looked at him watching me, the butterflies I always felt when I was around him had returned. I didn't even have to be in the same room as him and I got butterflies, it had been like that forever.

-----January 2004-----

"Hurry up mom, the game is starting in ten minutes!" My mom was finishing up breakfast and I had already turned the television onto TSN to watch the pregame show. This was my first Christmas season where Sid wasn't around. It was surreal, usually we watched the World Juniors together, but this year I was watching him play for Canada in Finland. It was a feeling I couldn't explain. I was a bit envious though, playing for your country at the age of sixteen was not something to be taken lightly. Although, he had played for the Under 18 team, the World Juniors was a whole nother ball game. I had always known he would do great things, and being the youngest player to ever score a goal for Canada was just the start.

When the teams came out onto the ice I could tell just by looking at him how nervous he was. It was the gold medal game and Canada was favoured to take home the gold. As the puck dropped my nerves got the best of me. The butterflies I felt whenever I saw him had arrived, even though he was half way across the world and I was watching him through the TV. I started out watching the game on the couch, but half way through the first period I starting to pace the room and yelled at the TV when a bad call was made. I was a mess. Watching was way more nerveracking then playing and by the third period I had to leave the room every three minutes to calm my nerves, it didn't help though. When they guys lost that game, my heart sank. I saw him standing on the blueline accepting his medal, knowing that he wouldn't be satisfied until he could go back next year and push the team to gold.

----------

"Did you hear the rumor that Sidney Crosby is here?" Andrea whispered to me as we were getting dressed after practice.

"Really?" I tried to act surprised. "What makes you think that?"

"Hayley said she saw him watching us by the Zamboni enterance."

I let out a wry smile and Andrea looked at me skepticaly. "What do you know Kel? You can't even keep at straight face at the sound of his name."

I looked around the locker room, making sure that no one could hear before I leaned into her ear. "Did I ever tell you about my bestfriend when I was a kid?"

"No. Why?"

"Okay, well come with me after practice. I need to tell you something."

"But what does this have to do with Sidney Cro..." He stopped her sentense short as she realized what I was getting at. "Shit. Can I meet him?" She blushed when she asked.

"Definitely, I just want to give him a heads up. And try to keep this on the down low. Sid doesn't really like to make a scen, oh and I should give you a little background story." I went into to full detail with Andrea about how we met and our lives growing up, including when he left and what I went through. What I didn't tell her was that we were more than friends. I figured she would figure that out soon enough.

As I was tying my shoes I texted him.

Kelly: Kel: so much for a low profile. I think the whole city knows you are here. I'll meet you at the car in five minutes.

He texted me back a few minutes later and I giggled, knowing he was probably starting the car to make a fast get away.

Sid: Sorry baby, I thought I was hidden. Hope you survived :)

Five minutes later Andrea and I walked towards his idling car in the parking lot. I threw my gear in the back and then walked around to the drivers side, tapping on the window. We wound it down and I poked my head in, giving him a peck on the cheek. "You can turn the car off, there is someone I'd like you to meet." Andrea was standing a few feet away, kicking dirt with her shoe.

"You made it seem like there was going to be a mad mob of girls coming out of the arena screaming or something." He shut the car off and opened the door. "You did amazing in practice." He picked me up and swung me around.

I giggled at the cute gesture. "Thanks, I tried to not get distracted by you." I admitted.

"So who is it that you want me to meet?" He grabbed my hand and we walked towards Andrea.

"Andrea, this is Sidney. Sidney, this is Andrea, she is my linemate. And probably my best friend on the whole team. We have been playing together since Montreal." He looked at her with soft eyes and stretched his hand out to her.

"Nice to meet you Andrea."

She was speechless when she grabbed his hand and I could tell that she would need awhile to compose herself. I laughed. "Andrea's a little starstruck. She'll come around eventually." She nodded her in agreement. "Andrea, how about we go out for dinner tomorrow night and you can get to know Sidney a bit better. And if you don't mind can you keep the fact that Sid is in town to yourself for now? It will be a mad house when it get's out."

"Sure, whatever you think is best. What time tomorrow?" Her voice was low and she wouldn't look us in the eye.

"Let's aim for six. I'll call you with the details okay?" I put my hand on her shoulder, trying to relax her. "He's just Sid, the same boy I've known since I was eight years old. He's a regular guy....try to relax a bit."

"Easy for you." She whispered before grabbing her car keys and heading towards her car.

I looked over at Sid. "Well, that went rather well don't you think?" I chuckled. I was going to have to get used to introducing him to people, and I was going to have to get used to their reactions.

"So, what's my surprise?" I asked.

"No way jose, you're not getting that info out of me. How are you feeling? Should we go take a nap?" He raised his eyebrows at me. Nap, yeah right. I knew what he had in mind, and I was all for it.

"A nap sounds perfect." I replied as we got into the car and drove towards my apartment.
♠ ♠ ♠
Heyyyyyyyyyy you guyyyyyyyyyys! Another shorty, but I think these two are so cute and I can't help it. I loved Andrea's reaction, priceless. And Hayley, I'm referring to Hayley Wickenheiser, Team Canada Captain and alumni. I love her too, maybe she will come into the story again down the line. Thanks to all who was reccommeneded and subscribed! We have 10 now!! WOOHOO. So if each of you subscribers hits that button it will be up there in now time. And if you want to comment, you know I love those too. Everytime I log in and see the orange lamp lit up I light up! Makes my day! As always, much love!