Status: Work in progress

Last Chance

Surprise

While I was waiting for her to finish getting dressed I went to her closet to grab a scarf. I put it around my neck and continued to wait for her. “You know it’s like twenty six degrees outside still, I don’t think you’re going to need a scarf” She came up to me and pulled it off my neck.

“It’s not for me, it’s for you.”

She looked skeptically at me before sighing. “Are you seriously going to blindfold me?”

“Yes.”

She put her hand up in protest and quickly lowered it when I started shaking my head at her. “Fine. This better be worth it Sid.”

“Oh, it will be so worth it. Trust me okay.”

“Okay.” She said reluctantly as she opened the door.

As soon as we got into the car I tied the scarf around her head and watched with pleasure as she tried to cheat and peak through it. “No peaking, or we’re not going.” She crossed her arms and pouted as I started the car and drove out of the parking lot.

After a few minutes of not saying anything, she uncrossed her arms “I hope people don’t think I’m being kidnapped or something. Can I please take this stupid thing off?”

“We’re almost there, and besides, if I was going to kidnap you I would have put you in the trunk.” I reached over and grabbed her hand, kissing her knuckles as I smiled at her pouting lips.

“You are enjoying this far too much for my liking.” She whined.

“Come on Kel, you know you secretly like this.” A smile spread across her lips as she shook her head and tried to disagree. “You’re such a bad liar. And you can stop pouting because we are here.” I stopped and put the car in park, taking in one last look of her sitting in the passenger seat, completely at my mercy. I turned the car off and got out to open her door for her.

Reaching her hand out to me she climbed cautiously out of the car. “So when do I get to take this thing off my face?”

“In about two minutes. Impatient thing aren’t you? I never remember you being like that before.”

“I’m only impatient when it comes to you. I think I waited long enough. Don’t you think?”

“Fair enough.” I chuckled at her blunt assumption, thinking to myself that I had waited just as long for her. “Okay, are you ready?” I walked up behind her and carefully untied the scarf. She gasped when she saw where we were, placing her hand on her mouth.

“The Zoo? But it’s closed for the day? How did you manage this?”

“Sometimes being who I am has it’s advantages.” I shrugged.

-----October 2002-----

I paced my room like a caged tiger as the phone rang, and rang, and rang. “Shit, why isn’t she picking up?” I yelled to myself before hanging up and throwing the phone on my bed. I walked over to my computer and logged into my e-mail. The message box came up with no new messages. Figured, I never got mail from anyone. I really needed to talk to her, I dialed her number again. This time her mom picked up on the second ring. “Hi Mrs. Nelson, it’s Sidney. Is Kel home?”

“Hi Sidney! How is Minnesota treating you? We sure miss having you around here. We actually have food in our fridge now.”

“It’s really good, I’m really enjoying myself.”

“Oh I’m so happy to hear that. Let me grab Kelly for you.”

“Thanks.” I could hear her put the phone down and holler for her daughter. A minute later there was the crackling of the phone being picked up and I was relieved when I finally heard her voice.

“Hey Sid, what’s up?”

“Where have you been? I’ve tried to call you four times in last hour.” I sounded like an over protective boyfriend or something. I shook my head at the thought.”

“If you must know, Sidney Crosby, I was at practice. Why do you care anyways?”

“Um, I don’t.” I tried not to sound serious. “I was just excited; I wanted to tell you I made the varsity team!! Only two Sophomores made it. Me and this other guy named Jack. He plays defense he’s good. Really good. So it will be nice to practice against him, although, it isn’t the same as practicing against you.”

“I’m flattered Sid, and I’m happy you made the team! I’m sure this Jack guy will be a lot better defender than me, so you’re going to have your work cut out for you. Did you tell your parents yet?”

“Nope. Only you. I’ll call them later.” She giggled on the other end of the line at my answer. I couldn’t remember a time when her laugh didn’t make me smile.
---------

We were greeted at the gate by a staff member. “Good evening Mr. Crosby. We are delighted that you are able to join us tonight. My name is Melissa and I’ll be showing you around.” She held her hand out to me and then to Kelly before opening the gate and letting us inside. “So, is there anything in particular that you’d like to see?”

I looked over at Kelly who was wide eyed, I knew where she would want to go first, but before I could say anything she blurted out. “The tigers! Can we go see the tigers?”

Melissa smiled at us. “Yes of course.” She turned and lead us to the tiger enclosure, taking us around back and opening the door.

“Wait. What are you doing? We’re not actually going in there are we?” Kelly asked wearily as I placed my arm on the small of her back.

“Yes of course, this is part of the arrangement we made with Mr. Crosby. It’s just about dinner time for them. Would you like to help us feed them?”

She just stood there, in complete awe. She didn’t answer her, she just nodded her head as she quietly followed her inside. The trainer brought over the cubs first and I stood back and watched as I fell more in love with her by the minute. Watching her play with the baby tigers, laughing as she fed them a bottle and snuggling with them made me feel things I had never felt before. “Hey Sid, can you take my picture with these guys? They’re so cute!” She was nearly squealing with delight as I took my phone out of my pocket and snapped a few pictures. “Come and play with us.” She looked up and smiled at me when one of the cub licked her face. How could I say no to that? I joined her on the ground and started laughing when one of the cubs started batting at my hands. I asked Melissa if she could take a picture of both us with the tigers and I snuggled up close to her and tried to get my cub to look at the camera.

“Okay guys, playtime is over.” The trainer came up and scooped the cubs away from us. “Mom and dad want to eat now.” He came back with a bucket full of raw meat walked effortlessly out into the Tiger den and dispursed the food. Me and Kelly stood behind the window and watched in amazment as the tigers didn’t even flinch at having a human in their den.

After our time with the tigers we moved onto the elephants and finished with the hippo. She never let go of my hand, except when she insisted on racing me to the playground so we could ride the swings like we used to.

We said good-bye to Melissa and thanked her for showing us around before heading back to the car. “Thank you. I can’t believe you would do all this for me.” She whispered. I smiled back at her before opening her door and bringing her body to mine and pressing my hand into her lower back.

“I would do anything for you. Including what I have planned next.” She blinked at me with and gave me a blank stare.

“There’s more? I’m not sure anything can top that.”

“You’ll see.”

She climbed into the car and I closed the door for her and skipped gingerly around to the driver’s side. I was going to make sure this was a night she would never forget.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey guys! So what do you think?? Pretty awesome surprise eh? Anyways, I hope you love it and thanks to everyone who reads, comments, and recommends. Much love as always!