Status: Work in progress

Last Chance

I Need Your Help

The door of the elevator opened and I saw her standing in front of me. I could tell a range of emotions was going through her mind and I hoped that she wouldn't end up hitting me again. I let out a slow breathe when instead, her face softened and she threw her arms around me. I gladly embraced her and pulled her into the elevator with me. My lips were on hers before the door closed and I remembered our last encounter like this in an elevator and what had happened after. She pulled back and looked up at me with pleading eyes. "I'm so sorry babe, I never meant for you to find out like that. I never meant to hurt you." I put my finger on her lips. "Shhh. It's okay. You didn't hurt me, I was only worried about you. The thought you being near him, it makes me sick." She gave a weak smile before kissing my again, this time with such fever that I was worried we might have to push the emergency stop button. We finally broke apart when the elevator came to a stop. She took a step back and nearly fell over. Shit. When I looked at her, her already pale skin was now pasty. "When was the last time you ate?" I asked. God, Kelly when she doesn't eat turns into a ghost. And it scares me. "Well, I was on my way to get lunch. I had a bit of a rough morning and didn't do breakfast." I started to speak but she raised her hand up. "No need for the lecture Crosby, trust me. Now let's get some food, I feel like I could eat a horse."

*****Spring 2003*****

I knocked lightly on her bedroom window, hoping that I wouldn't wake up her mom. The lights were out and everything was dark. I knocked againg, this time a little louder. "Psst, hey Kel? You there?" A minute later the light on and I saw her fumble out of bed. She was fully closed and and wearing her jacket. She came up to the window. "Hey. Sorry, I dozed off!"
"Seriously Kel? We've been planning this for a week."
"I know I know, sorry!" She got up and started to climb out the window. She was almost out when I she put her hands on her knees.
"Are you okay?" I asked
"Yeah, fine. I just haven't eaten since dinner. I'm hungry and I feel a bit lightheaded."
I shouldn't have laughed, but I did. This always happened when she didn't eat. Luckily I was prepared. "Here." I tossed a granola bar at her and helped her out the climb down the drain pipe. She gave me a week smile. "Thanks Sid. You're the best."
"I know, now let's go or the party will be over before we get there!"

*****

We sat down at a small table outside of a cafe a block from the hotel. We figured being away from the team would be a good thing. "I don't have a lot of time, we leave for practice in half an hour." She frowned as she took a bite of her pastry.
"It's okay, I understand." I nodded. She smiled and nudged my foot under the table.
"So how many girls have you chased half way around the world?" She giggled and placed a strand of hair behind her ear.
"Only one." I winked and took a sip of my coffee.
"Good. What are you going to do while I'm at practise?"
"I've got to make some phone calls, and find a place to stay. What time is your game tomorrow?"
"Urgh, too early. Puck drops at 9:00."
"Great, so if I don't see you tonight I'll be at your game tomorrow. I promise. Now eat." I pointed to the bowl of pasta that was now sitting in front of her.
"Yeah yeah." She shrugged. "You're so bossy." I just smiled back at her. God she was beautiful.
"What are you guys doing for dinner tonight?"
"Team dinner, in the hotel."
"Sounds exciting."
"As exciting as any informal team dinner can be. The usual buffet, chatter about plays and the upcoming game. Same old same old." She shoved another bite of pasta into her mouth.
"Is Kevin going to be there?" I asked. She stopped chewing and looked at me. She stared at me for a minute before nodding her head and focusing back on her food.
"You'll be careful right Kel? And keep your distance?" She swallowed and look at me.
"It's awkward regardless Sid, so try not to make it any worse."
"I won't, I just need to know you're okay. I can't exactly just waltz into your dinner."
"I'm a big girl, I'll be fine. I'll call you as soon as it's over and we can try and meet up before curfew. Cuz I've missed you more than you can imagine." She winked at me and I felt myself go stiff.
"It's a deal." I leaned over the table and kissed her forehead. "Now you better get back or you'll miss the bus." She took one more bite of her food and stood up. Grabbing my hand and pulling me to her. "So I'll see you tonight?" She asked shyly.
"You know it." I ran my thumb along her cheek and smiled. "Now go kill it at practise and I'll text you once I've figured out where I'm staying."
"You should just stay at the hotel, it'll be easier for me to sneak around." She winked and then gently pinched my ass. I groaned, not wanting her to go. "Go, before I change my mind and pay your fine for being late." I started to pull her back towards the hotel, dopping some cash on the table. I stopped her around the corner from the enterance, pulled her into a hug and whispered. "I love you. I'll see you tonight." I brushed my lips against hers and before I could let it get too instense I pulled back. "Text me okay. As soon as dinner is over."
"I promise." She stood on her tip toes and kissed my nose. "I love you."

I watched her walk back into the hotel and immediately I felt like a part of me was gone. How did I go so long without her? I would make sure that no one ever hurt her again. I dug my phone out of my pocket and called the one person who I thought that might be able to help me. He picked up on the third ring.
"Bob Nicholson speaking."
"Hey Bob, it's Sid. How are ya?" I asked as I paced up and down the sidewalk.
"Sid! Good to hear you voice son. I'm doing well. How about yourself."
"I'm great sir, really good."
"I'm glad to hear that."
"Hey Bob, I'm wondering if you could help me out with something."
"Sure, anything for you kid." I took a deep breathe, I knew that going to the top might cause some problems, but this was a problem that needed to be dealt with.
"Well, I um, well you see sir....there is someone on your staff who is making innapropriate advances to some of the players on the Women's National team."
I heard him clear his throat "Well Sid, those are some serious allegations. How did this come to your attention." Shit. I couldn't tell him it was because my girlfriend was on the team and that I was worried the slease ball would try something again. "Um, well. I have a couple friends on the team and they told me about it."
"And do you have any evidence of this?"
"Um, no sir. Just going by what they told me."
"And has anything physical happened? Has anyone been hurt?"
"Physically? Um no." Shit, shit, shit. He wasn't going to be able to do anything withouth some cold hard proof. "Look, I just wanted to bring it to your attention. The girls have told me that they are uncomfortable around him and I wasn't sure there was much I could do other than tell you about it." If I had it my way I would can the guy and pay his salary from my own wallet.
"I appreciate that Sid, I really do. But unless one of the ladies comes forward or we have evidence of any wrong doing, I'm afraid there isn't much we can do. Labour laws are pretty tight and if we wrongfully dismiss someone, it would be a PR mess. I hope you can understand." I squeazed my eyes shut and tried not to throw my phone against the building beside me. I held the bridge of my nose and slowly opened my eyes. "Yes sir. I understand. If I hear of anything else I'll have the persons involved contact you."
"I appreciate that Sid. Have yourself a good day."
"You too." I ended the call and kicked the mailbox that was beside me.
There was only one thing to do, and I prayed to god that she would be strong enough to pull it off.
♠ ♠ ♠
So here it is, the long awaited update!! I've seriously been sitting on this for a month trying to figure out how to update. I hope you enjoy! Another update will be coming sooner rather than later. The writing bug is back I'm afraid. lol