Status: Work in progress

Last Chance

It's Called a Joke, Lighten Up

I tried to avoid eye contact with Kelly's mom as I slid my flip flops on my feet. I could feel the heat on the back of my neck and I could feel her glare boring into me. I looked up Kel, gave her quick kiss and whispered to her. "I'll text you when I get home." She smiled and slowly slid her hand out of mine.

"Okay, I love you."

Her declaration, although it not being the first time she had said it, made my heart jump. A smile spread across my face. I opened the door and gave a final glance back, this time catching Joy's eyes and the look of disapproval was obvious. I quickly closed the door behind me and made my way to the car.

I pulled out of the drive and headed towards my parents house. I don't know what compelled me to stop in front of my childhood home, but I did. I parked across the street and could see the light on in Taylor's room. No doubt she was probably reviewing video of her last game. Taking notes and reviewing plays. I knew that if Taylor never made it pro, she would be an amazing coach. She had an eye for seeing plays that some of the best guys in the league couldn't even see. No matter what she ended up doing with hockey, I hoped she knew she made me proud.

I saw the light on in the living room. The blue flickering of the light from the TV told me my folks were still up. I looked at the clock. 11:07pm. They would be watching Sports Centre. My dad probably cursing at the TV while my mom silently held out a hand on his thigh to calm him down.

My parents were never ones to show much affection in front of everyone and I could count on one hand how many times I saw them actually fight. They went about their relationship in a private, silent way. My mom was the yin to my dads yang. Neither of them quite the same without the other. You could see the love and devotion they had for each other just by the way they looked at each other.

I thought and me and Kel. How we were so lucky to finally have each other. We were definitely not the silent type like my parents, but we were definitely the yin to each others yang. There was no denying that. I smiled, a smile only thoughts of my family and of Kelly could bring to my face.

I started the engine and drove quietly towards my house. The house I bought my rookie year. Kel had never seen it and I couldn't wait to show her.

The garage door closed behind me and entered the quiet house. Usually I welcomed the silence. The quiet after a busy day, but today it didn't feel right. Flashes of a family at Christmas, kids chasing Sam around the house, and Kel, barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen with smudges if flour on her cheek flooded my vision. I had to grab onto the counter to keep my balance. Family. With Kel, I had always known there was no other person I ever wanted to be with, but now I knew, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that I was going to marry her.

Trying to not let my emotions get the best of me, I pulled out my phone to find out what time breakfast was

Sid: what time for breakfast?

Trina: 7?

Sid: you're kidding right? I'll see you at 9

Trina: lol. Of course I'm kidding. 9 sounds good. I can't wait to see Kelly

Sid: what about me?

Trina: yes u too. But I see you all the time. Lol. Love u. See u I the am

My mom, always thinks she is so funny. I laughed and then heard scratching at the door. I walked through the kitchen to let Sam in. "Hey girl. I bet you're hungry eh? Lets get you your dinner". She greeted me with a wagging tail and kisses. I opened the cupboard door and filled a cup with her kibble. I had barely poured it and she had devoured it. "Slow down girl, aren't you gonna chew?" Sam ignored me and continued to chow down on her dinner.

I texted Kelly to let her know what time breakfast was and sat down with a beer to watch some aimless TV. Sleeping alone wasn't going to be much fun, especially when I knew she was so close. A few minutes later her familiar ring tone went off.

Kel: See u at 9. I'm going to go and cuddle with Claude now. Love u xoxo

That stupid goddamn cat.

Sid: it's ok. I'm going to go snuggle with a blonde beauty named Sam. She doesn't smell as good as you, and hogs the bed, but I guess I can manage for one night.

I hit send and laid back on the couch. Hoping that sleep would eventually come and make tomorrow arrive sooner.

--------------

I woke up to Sam licking my face. I looked at the clock and saw that it was only 6:30. I should have known, Sam was always up this early looking for her morning walk. She looked at me with sad brown eyes and licked me again. "Okay okay. Give me a few minutes and we will go for a run." I got up, changed my clothes and grabbed her leash. She was already waiting for me at the door. I run would be good to start getting me back into my workout regime I thought to myself. Plus it would help kill some time.

We made a loop down the beach and back up the road. It was still early enough that the only people out were either fishing or dog walking. We got home with enough time for me to grab a muffin and a shower. I was ready to go by 8:45.

I called for Sam and she quickly jumped into the passenger seat of my SUV. I eyed her. "You know you won't get to ride shotgun anymore, so enjoy your last ride." I patted her head and put the car into reverse.

We arrived at my folks house a few minutes later and I saw Kelly walking up the road. I parked and let Sam out before meeting Kel at the end of driveway. Sam was too busy chasing my parents cat, Flower to even notice the new lady in my life. "Hey baby. How'd you sleep?" She snickered to me. I pulled her in for a kiss. "I slept on the couch. So not so good. How bout you? Claude a good snuggler?"

She laughed. "Hardly. He likes to sleep on my face. Plus he thinks 2am is playtime. Not such a good sleep for me either. I'm staying at your place tonight."

"I have absolutely no objections to that." I laced my fingers through hers. "Are you hungry?"

"Starving"

"Let's get going then, iff we are late my mom will disown me. We walked up the drive and opened the front door. We were immediately greeted by a squealing Taylor who ran right passed me and flung her arms around Kel.

"Oh my god I never thought I would see you again! I missed you so much!" She was squeezing Kelly so hard she was turning red.

"Hey! What about me?" I asked. "Didn't you miss me?"

Taylor released Kelly and turned to me, giving me he one over. "Well, I did. A bit. But not as much as I missed her." She laughed and then grabbed Kelly's hand, pulling her into the kitchen where my dad was reading the paper ad my mom was fussing over the food. I picked a blueberry out of the carton and was quickly swatted away by my mom. "Get your fingers out of there!" She then turned her attention to Kel. "Oh Kelly sweetie, it is so good to see you again." She embraced her in a hug before returning back to the food.

We spent the morning catching up with my family, telling them about Calgary and Europe and everything we had been up to the past month. "I feel so bad that we weren't here for your birthday," Kelly said, placing her hand on my shoulder. "We should have a party next weekend to celebrate."

"That's a great idea!" Taylor replied. She loved parties. "Sid needs a good ass kicking at ring toss anyways. Minus well make it in front of an audience." She knew how much I hated losing, especially in front of family.

I gave Taylor the evil eye. "Hey Tay, when was the last time you watched Lion King?" The smile fell off her face.

"You wouldn't dare. I will never talk to you again." She crossed her arms and glared at me.

"Whats going?" Kel asked.

I felt a sly grin cross my face as I recalled the memory to her.

-----August 2001-----

I had just gotten home from hockey camp and I saw Taylor, sitting on the floor watching her favourite movie, The Lion King. She had a bowl of crackers in one hand and her blanket in the other, clutching both of them for dear life. It didn't matter how many times Taylor had watched the stupid movie, the scene where Mustafa dies always freaked her out. I watched her curiously from the entrance way. She was so engrossed in her movie that she didn't even hear me come in.

As soon as Mustafa took his last breathe I took my opportunity to pounce. Taylor didn't see me coming. I grabbed her and attacked her with tickles before reenacting the whole death scene over again. Much to her horror. She was in tears by the end of it and when I looked at her I noticed that she had peed her pants.

"I hate you! I hate you!" she screamed before running to the kitchen to find my mom. I was still on the floor laughing. Poor Taylor, I was never going to let her live it down.

----------

"Well, that's the abbreviated story. I'll spare you any more details"

"You're such an ass Sid! I can't believe you just told that story in front of everyone. I'm seriously never going to talk to you again."

"Oh relax Tay. You were five."

"I still remember. I haven't watched the Lion King since that day. You ruined it for me."

"Okay I'm sorry Taylor. Can you please forgive me? I highly doubt you will be able to keep your mouth shut and not talk to me for more than five minutes anyways." She just glared at me before leaving the room. Kelly let out a low whistle.

"Now you've done it. Good job Babe." She winked at me before she left the room and followed after Taylor, letting me know she wasn't really mad at me. I sat down at the kitchen table with my dad to wait wait for them to return.

"So, you two got any plans for today?" He asked.

"I don't know really. This was kind of it."

"I know what we are doing." Taylor had come barging back into the kitchen. Kelly close behind. "We are going shopping. Well, me and Kelly and mom are going shopping. You're not invited because I'm still not talking to you."

"Well, that settles it then." I turned to my dad. "I guess my day is open. Fishing or golf?"

"Golf" he replied. "I'll go book us a tee-time" He picked up his phone off the table and started searching for available times.

I got up and walked over to Kel. "You up for spending the whole day with my family?" I asked, hoping that Taylor's invitation hadn't ruined any plans she might not have told me about.

"Yeah, it'll be nice to catch up. Have some girl time."

"Okay, call me if you need anything, and here." I pulled my wallet out of my shorts. Kelly put her hands up in protest.

"No, Sid. You don't need to give me money."

"I know I don't need to, but I want to. It's not just for you, it's for all of you. So you can buy lunch or something. Just take it, please." I handed her some bills. "I want you guys to have fun." Reluctantly she took the money from me.

"Fine."

"Good. Go have fun, and hopefully Taylor will be in a better mood when you guys get back."

"Oh I'll be in a much better mood after I spend your money!" Taylor laughed from the foyer where she was putting on her shoes.

"Well, they say money can't buy you happiness, but I guess it can buy you you're sister's love." I teased. I pulled Kelly into a hug. "Love you. Have fun okay."

"I will. Have fun on the course. Don't flirt too much with the beer girl."

"What? There are beer girls on the golf course? You're the only girl I have eyes for, so you won't have a problem there." I saw her face blush red. "Now go, before I change my mind and drag you back to my house." I whispered so my parents wouldn't hear.

"Hey, I might like that!"

"Go! Seriously. Have fun. I'll text you later." I shooed her out the door where my mom and Taylor were waiting for her.

--------------------

"Nice putt Sid." My dad said after I just sunk my birdie putt.

"Thanks. Lord knows my putting could use some work."

"My son, always so modest." He muttered to himself.

"I heard that."

"Well, it's the truth. Anyways, it's good to have you back kid. And it's even better that you finally got your act together and went after Kelly. We never knew what you were thinking when you just cut her out of your life like that."

I got into passenger side of the cart. "It was complicated dad, I did what I thought was right. Trust me, I'll never forgive myself for what I put her through." My dad didn't say anything, he just nodded as he drove towards the next hole. The vision I had last night came to mind. "Hey dad?"

"Yeah?"

"How did you know that mom was the one?"

"The one? She's not the one Son, I don't know how to tell you this but, we're separating."

I felt the blood drain from my face and I thought I might pass out. "What the hell?"

My dad let out of burst of laughter. "I'm fucking with you Sid. We're not getting divorced. Wow, the look on your face was priceless."

"Not fucking funny dad. How could you say such a thing?"

"It's called a joke. Lighten up. And to answer your question I knew as soon as your mom shut me down in front of my friends that she was the one."

"Really?"

"Yup, she played hard to get for months. I chased and chased her, finally I was able to track down her number through a friend. I think my persistence paid off because when I actually called her and asked her out, she said yes. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think about how lucky I am to have such an extraordinary life. We really have been blessed."

"Kelly's the one." I blurted out before I could take back my thought. "I've known since I was sixteen that I was going to marry her."

"We all have son, I'm glad you finally have her back in your life. You two are meant for each other. Who else is going to put up with your superstition bullshit?" My dad parked the cart and reached in the back for this two iron. He gave me sly grin. "Enjoy you're time together Sid, and don't take it for granted. Don't forget camp is starting in a few weeks."

Kelly and I hadn't even talked about what we were going to do after the summer. We still had time for that. For now, I was going to just enjoy the time I had with her. "We'll figure something out dad. Don't worry." I plunged my tee into the grass and took a practice swing before letting a solid hit go on the ball and driving it squarely down the fairway. I shook my head after my shot, not because it was a bad shot, but because the conversation I had just had with my dad was still registering in my head. How soon was too soon for two people who had waiting their whole lives to be together? The thought didn't leave my head for the rest of the game.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello my faithful readers. I'm sorry it has taken so long to write an update, life has been busy this summer. I hope you enjoy the update, this has been mulling in my head for a long time and I finally got some time to sit down and write.

On a side note....Olympic Selection camp is coming to my home town this weekend. I'll be on the look out for a Crosby sighting.....now to just figure out where they will be. lol.

Thanks to everyone who subscribes, comments, and recommends. You always make my day!