Status: Work in progress

Last Chance

The Perfect Dress - Kelly POV

As he put the car in park I grabbed his hand. "Nervous?" I asked.

"Nah. I think I'm more excited than anything. Who do you think is going to freak out more, my parents or Taylor?"

"Taylor." I giggled.

Sid brushed my knuckles against his lips. "Taylor." He agreed.

He got of the car quickly and came around to open my door for me before I even had my seat belt off. I gave him a smile as he reached for my hand to help me out. "Why thank you Mr. Crosby, how very gentlemanly of you."

"My parents taught me well, I'm always a gentleman." He teased. "Ready?" He asked.

"I was born ready baby, let's get this show on the road." I pulled him by the hand towards his childhood home.

We were greeted at the door by Trina who must have seen us pull into the driveway. "Hey guys, what are you doing here?"

Sid eyed me before a smile broke out across his face. "Where's Taylor?" he asked.

"Sleeping. Why?"

"And Dad?"

"He's puttering around in the garage. What's going on Sid?" She asked. "Should I be worried?"

Sid put his arm around his mom's shoulder. "No mom, nothing to be worried about. I promise. Can you go get Dad? Kel and I will go and wake up Taylor."

"Be careful Sid, you know what she's like when she gets woken up. I stopped waking her up years ago. If she doesn't have practice or school she won't get up."

"I'll just fart on her, that'll get her up." Sid laughed. "You coming with me Kel?"

"Oh I'm gonna wanna see this." I replied.

Sid wasted no time, he barged into Taylor's room so quickly (and loudly I might mention) that even if she wanted to get mad at him, she couldn't. He turned on the light and sat down on the end of her bed. "Wake up call Ms. Crosby. Get your ass out of bed!"

"No, I'm sleeping." She rolled over and gave Sid a quick glance. "Why are you here?"

"I thought you said you were sleeping?"

"I am, now go away."

"No. Taylor you get up right now before I jump on you and make you get up."

"I'd like to see you try, please turn out the lights when you leave."

I decided to try a nicer approach, to save her from the stench of Sid's fart that he would surely let loose as soon as he jumped on her. "Taylor, please get up. Sid's called a family meeting. And if you don't get up your brother is going to let one rip and I don't want to be around for that."

It must have worked because she sat up and looked at me. "I'm glad to see that you guys are at that point in your relationship where farting around each other is okay."

"I think I farted in front of Kelly the first day I met her. She's used to it." Sid jumped up on her bed. "Now get up, you have five minutes."

"Fine, fine. I don't need five minutes. I'm getting up now." Taylor threw her blankets back and crawled out of bed. "This better be damned good to wake me up at this god awful hour."

"It's 10:30 Taylor, I wouldn't exactly say it was early." Sid placed his hands on her shoulders and guided her towards the family room, sitting her down firmly on the couch. By now Troy had joined the rest of the family and sipping his coffee in his recliner.

"So, what's this all about?" Troy asked.

Sid and I looked at each other trying to contain our excitement. Finally, he cleared his throat. "Well, we just wanted to let you guys know to take Monday off of work."

"Why?" Troy asked.

"Because we're getting married." Sid tried to say with a straight face that absolutely failed.

"What?" Trina asked. "Really? Monday? Why so soon. Oh no, Kelly are you...?"

I knew this was going to come and I was expecting the question to be asked. "No, I'm not pregnant. I promise. We just don't want to wait. We've waiting our whole lives to be together and see no need to wait any longer."

Trina jumped out of her seat and threw her arms around me. I gladly accepted her embrace and squeezed her gently. "This is best news I can imagine. I've prayed for this moment for years." She whispered in my ear. I felt the flood of emotion take over and had to pull away before the tears started to flood my vision.

"So." I pulled back and looked around the room. "We are doing it small, low key. Just you guys and my mom and a Marriage Commissioner or a Justice of the Peace, or anyone we can find to marry us on such short notice. And we would like to have a bit of a celebration on Saturday with our friends and family at the cottage, so we were wondering if Taylor wanted to spearhead that project."

"We do?" Sid looked up at me.

"Okay, well I'd like Taylor to arrange everything. Doesn't matter what he thinks. He's stuck with me now." I laughed.

"Hey. I haven't signed anything yet Ms. Nelson. You better watch your tongue." Sid teased.

"I mean, that is if you want to Taylor."

"Do I want to? What kind of question is that? Of course I do. I'll be ready in twenty minutes."

"Wait wait wait, where are you going?" Sid asked. "There are a couple things to keep in mind. One, don't tell people that this a wedding reception, tell them, it's um, my birthday party. And second, and this one is most important. You must stick to the guest list Kelly and I give you. Got it?

"Yeah yeah, I got it. Now you wait while I go shower. You don't expect me to go out shopping like this do you? Seriously guys."

We both chuckled. "Of course not."

Troy finally spoke up. "This is great news guys. Let me know what you need me to do okay. I'm going to send an email to the office and let them know I won't be in on Monday and then I'm at your disposal for the rest of the day."

"Thanks Dad, we really appreciate that."

Everything really was happening so fast and I was thrilled to have the support of the Crosby's. Taylor, Trina, and I picked up my mom to do some shopping while Sid and Troy, well I'm not really sure what they did the whole time we were gone. Probably talked shop, because that is what they loved to talk about the most.

*****November 2004*****

I met Sid after the game. It was nice when he was in town playing and I could get to see him. The Oceanic had just pulled off a 6-1 win and Sid had two goals and an assist and ended the game at plus two. But when I finally saw him, he wasn't smiling like I would have thought he would be after a great game. I immediately pulled him into a hug. "What's the scowl all about?"

He let out a low sigh and looked around the room to make sure that we were alone. 'My Dad."

"What now?" I asked.

Troy was notorious for being overly hard on Sid, and although he had his best interests at heart, sometimes I was more than Sid could take. Especially when he did have a great game and should be celebrating. Instead, he was whispering to me about how he felt like he had let his dad down.

"He said I should have been plus three, and that me being on the ice for the goal is something that the scouts are looking at."

I rolled my eyes. "Of course they are looking at that Sid, but it's not all they are looking at. Sometimes I think your dad needs to take a chill pill. Relax. Let's go and have some fun, I haven't seen you in months."

"You don't understand the pressure I'm under Kel, I feel like between my dad and the scouts, someone is always disappointed."

"Look Sid, it's not your job to make everyone happy. It's your job to go out there and score goals and enjoy every minute you have on the ice. And yes, I do know what kind of pressure you are under. You know your dad doesn't realize how hard he is on you, and he really just wants what's best for you. Now let's go. I'm hungry.

"Still the same Kel, always hungry." He held his arm out for me and I looped mine through it.

"I missed you Sid."

"I missed you too Kel. And thanks for making me feel better. You've always been the best at that."

I felt my cheeks turn red as we walked towards the exit.

**********

We had visited pretty much every store in Halifax looking for wedding attire. Taylor had found a cute blue cocktail length dress with a halter top. Both my mom and Trina were able to find dresses that weren't too formal and would be perfect for our informal nuptials. The only person who didn't have something to wear was me. My own wedding and I couldn't find anything that fit.

"Here, try this." Taylor handed me an ivory lace dress.

I eyed it skeptically. "Fine." I said. I was getting desperate and seriously thought of just wearing a hoodie and jeans on Monday.

I took the dress and walked into the dressing room. I looked in the mirror as I zipped it up. "I don't like it, I'm not coming out."

"Yes you are. Get your butt out here. I want to see." Taylor could be very demanding.

I sighed and opened the dressing room door. "Nothing fits right. It's either too big here or too small there. I'll never find anything."

Taylor and Trina looked at each other. "You need Edna." They said together.

"Edna? Who's Edna?" I asked

"She is Sid's tailor. She's a miracle worker. She can make Sid's big ass fit into anything."

"Okay, but will she be able to pull something together in a day?" I asked

"If it's for Sidney, then yes." Trina replied. "Let's go. I'm not sure there is anything else we need to get here."

"Alright." I agreed as I tugged at the zipper of the dress.

-------------

We pulled to a little shop on the south side of Halifax which couldn't have been bigger than my apartment back in Calgary. A small bell rang above the door when I opened it and from behind the counter emerged the most peculiar looking woman ever. She stood about four foot one and must have weighed about ninety pounds soaking wet. She had raven black hair that was up in a bun on the top of her head, held in place by two knitting needles. Her glasses were so thick they made her eyes look double the size and she was wearing a bright red two piece pant suit, her lips the same colour.

"Come in, come in. What can I do for you?" She said in a thick Asian accent. When she peered over my shoulder and saw Trina and Taylor a giant smile spread across her face. "Oh Trina, Taylor, so good to see you. You come for Sidney suit? I not finished wit it yet. He only drop off this morning. He expect miracles from me that boy."

Trina let out a laugh. "Hi Edna, good to see you. No, we've um, actually come for Kelly. Sidney's um, fiance. We are in a bit of trouble and need you to work a real miracle."

"Oh, my Sidney, he get married? He pick very pretty girl. You come, come see me. I fix you up real nice. You need dress no?"

"Um, yes that would be great. I need it for Monday though. Is that too soon?" I asked, amazed at the pint sized woman in front of me.

"Oh yes. For Sidney I do anything. What you want? Lace? Satin?" Before I could even answer her I was wrapped up in fabric and lace with pins holding everything together. She was standing on a step stool measuring me, talking to herself. "Yes, yes, I see. This will be perfect. What you think?" Edna pulled out a sketch bad from her pocket and quickly sketched what she thought would look good on me and then turned the pad towards me so I could see. I was speechless. She was right, it would be perfect.

"Wow, uh, I love it Edna. Thank You. Thank you so much."

She smiled and got down from the step stool. "Oh, you wait and see. You love it much much more when you pick up tomorrow. And you no pay. Mr. Sidney my best customer. My wedding present to you. Oh, you gonna look so pretty."

I felt tears well up in my eyes at the generosity of this woman who who I had met not even half an hour ago. I quickly pulled myself together when I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket. I fished for it through the layers of fabric and was finally able to retrieve it. It was a message from Sid.

Sid: Marriage commissioner called. He's available on Monday and wants to meet with us in an hour.

I smiled and quickly replied.

Kel: Okay, we are on our way back. Get your guest list ready for Taylor. I'm inviting Edna. See you soon. xoxo

I minute her later another message arrived.

Sid: Ah, so you've met Edna. :)

I didn't reply, but put my phone back in my pocket and looked back at my family. "We gotta go guys. Sid got us an appointment with a marriage commissioner."

Edna quickly freed me from the layers of fabric sensing my urgency to leave. I grabbed my purse and before leaving turned to Edna. "Hey Edna?"

"Ya?"

"Do you want to come to a party on Saturday? It's a birthday party for Sid. I'm sure he'd love to see you."

She clapped her hands together with excitement. "Oh yes! That be fun. I bring you some good food."

"It's okay Edna, no need to bring anything. I'll bring you the details tomorrow. What time should I stop by?"

"Oh, I work all night for you. You come around lunch time. I have everything ready then."

"Okay, I'll see you then. Bye!"

As we pulled out of the parking lot I starting listing off people for Taylor to invite. I didn't have many people, as I had left town so long ago. "We'll need to invite Andrea, but let me contact her because I'd like her to bring some of my stuff back. And I have a couple aunts and uncles to invite as well."

I rambled on as Taylor quietly entered the names into her phone, smiling back at me every time I looked in the rear view mirror. I dropped everyone off, making sure that Taylor called me if she had any questions before heading home.

Sid and a gentleman who I can only assume was the Marriage Commissioner were waiting for me outside when I arrived home. I approached them and was quickly introduced. "You must be Kelly, I'm Peter Brown." He held his hand out for me to shake.

"Nice to meet you Peter. Thank you for coming on such short notice."

"It's my pleasure. Now, shall we go inside and get to know one another?" He asked.

I nodded and Sid grabbed my hand as we lead Peter into the house.

The meeting was quick and informal and Peter was more than happy to marry us, which elated myself and Sid. Once we said our good byes Sid and I headed to the registry to pick up our marriage license. The last item on our list that would make Monday possible.

As we entered the registry Sid nudged me. "I think I'm more nervous about this than telling our parents."

"Me too. Do you think people are going to recognize you? They'll catch on? Maybe we won't be able to keep this low key." I whispered.

Sid pulled his ball cap down farther. "I'll try not to make a scene." He teased.

"Haha, it's not you that I'm worried about." I squeezed his hand as we approached the desk.

The lady looked up at us. "Hi there, how may I help you?"

"We'd like to get a marriage license please." I answered.

"Sure, I'll just need two pieces of government issued I.D. please, and you'll need to fill out the top half of the form." She slid the form toward us. "If it's easier, feel free to take a seat over there and then come see me when you're done."

I nodded as I grabbed the form from her. We sat down and filled out the lengthy form. The reality of everything finally sinking in. In a matter of days, I was going to be Mrs. Crosby. This was insane.

We walked back up to the desk where the attendant took our from us, running it through the computer and coming back. "Alright guys. Almost done. Now, do you solemnly swear that the information provided on this form is accurate to the best of your knowledge? If yes, please raise your right hand and say 'I Swear'"

I couldn't help it, it just seemed so formal. I broke out into a fit of laughter, and much to my surprise the lady actually got mad. "This isn't a joking matter. You either swear or you don't. Please raise your right hand." I choked back my laughter as I raised my hand and swore that I was who I was and that everything was accurate and truthful. Sid gave my side a light squeeze before raising his hand and swearing as well. He was a lot better at keeping his composure than I was. Once we were done she handed us the paperwork in an envelope and told us we have six months from tomorrow to get married. That wasn't going to be a problem. I felt like I could take a deep breathe as I realized that this shit was real,it was really happening, and tomorrow would be my last day as Kelly Nelson. It would be the longest day of my life.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi guys, I am SO SO SO Sorry about the long wait. I've been dealing with a bit or writers block and didn't know how to get to where I wanted to get the story to. If that makes sense. I hope you enjoy and can get lost in Sid and Kelly's world, if even for a few minutes. Next update wont' take as long, I promise. Did you all see the beauty of a goal Sid scored last night against the Caps? Text book Crosby. Loved it!