Status: Work in progress

Last Chance

One Fine Day

Sid POV
To say that the day before the wedding was the longest day of my life would be an understatement. I felt Kel start to move from beneath my vice grip as she woke up.
“No.” I mumbled
“Yes.” She whispered. “We have a lot of stuff to do today.”
“Can I do it tomorrow?” I teased
“Only if you want to be single for the rest of your life. Now start getting that cute ass of your out of bed.

Kelly POV
I turned the shower on extra hot. Sid hated hot showers, but I loved them. Somehow they always made me feel better, they always calmed my nerves.

I tried to go over the list of stuff I needed to get done before the end of the day, but kept getting distracted by the fact that I was actually getting married. Tomorrow.

I heard Sid at the sink brushing his teeth and poked my head out of the shower.
“Hey, did you give Taylor the final list? We should go over the menu.”
“Yes I gave it to her, and we should just let her pick. One less thing for us to worry about.”
I pouted at him. “Really? What if she ends up ordering hot dogs and baked beans for our reception?”
“Come on Babe, have a little faith. Taylor’s got this under control and there is no way she would ever be that cheap. She knows I’m paying so don’t be surprised if the steak comes out on crystal plates.” He leaned in and kissed me. Toothpaste was all over his face and he tasted like mint.
“Fine, okay. I know, I have to relax a bit.”
“I can think of a great way to make you relax.”
“Oh you can eh? Care to join me?”
He flashed a wicked grin at me. “Only because you asked so nicely.”

Sid POV
“So is there anything you need me to do today?” I asked as I threw a piece of toast in the toaster.
“Are you kidding me?”
I grabbed the peanut butter from the cupboard and looked at her. “Well yeah. I mean, other than picking up my suit and getting a hair cut?”
“What?” She sounded panicked. “No way Sid, you aren’t getting a hair cut. Hasn’t anyone told you look like the world’s biggest nerd when your hair is short? No hair cut. I like it the length it is. And Jesus Christ, have you seen my keys?” She was lifting couch cushions and stomping around the living room like a mad woman.
“These keys?” I asked, looping my finger around the key ring and letting them hang in front of me. She stopped dead in her tracks and looked at me. Finally taking a small breath.
“Yes.” She sighed. “Thank you. And I’m sorry I’m such a nutcase today. I promise I’ll be okay by tomorrow.”
I pulled her into me, taking in the scent of her hair. “It’s okay Babe, being stressed out is normal. Now seriously, what do you need me to do? Anything to make your day less stressful.”
“Um, well there really isn’t much that needs to be done. Just answer your phone if I call or send a text. Okay?”
“Okay.” I kissed the top of her head. “Are you coming back here tonight or will you be spending the night at your mom’s?”
“There isn’t anything I want more than to come home to you tonight, however, you and me both know that if there is one traditional element we can have for our wedding, this one is simple. So enjoy the big bed alone tonight Baby.” She smacked my ass and skipped from the room before I could chase her down.

I sat down at the kitchen table with my toast and pulled out my phone. Kelly’s words running over and over in my head. “There isn’t anything I want more than to come home to you.” I knew exactly what I wanted to give her as a wedding gift. Now it was a matter of seeing if I could make it happen.

Kelly POV
As soon as Edna heard the bell tinkle above the door she immediately popped out from behind the counter.
“Oh Kelly my dear! You come! You come! I all finished. You gonna look beautiful!”
I couldn’t contain the smile that had spread across my face. Edna pulled me into the small fitting room and quickly unzipped the white garment bag that was hanging on the wall.
“So, what you think? You like? You so pale I add bit of colour for you. Bring out pink in your cheeks.”
I stood there and stared at it. My wedding dress. And it was even more amazing in person than it was in the sketch she drew for me.
“See here.” She pointed to the short sleeves. You say you no like your shoulders. I hide them for you, but you have nice boobies so I make a nice low cut. Mr. Sidney will like that no?”
I started laughing. “Yes, I’m sure he will”
She just kept on going without missing a beat. “And here, I put lace over pink so you no look like ghost and I tie a pink ribbon around the front. And because you get married outside in garden I make it tea party length. Very special dress, just for you.” She beamed at me when she finished.
“Edna, this is, wow. I can’t even say. This is amazing. Thank you. I love it.”
“Well, what you waiting for. Try on. Try on. Let see if it fit right.”
I carefully removed the dress from the bag and held it up to me before closing the dressing room door.

Sid POV
I walked up to the door of Edna’s shop hoping to pick up my suit when saw Kelly and her talking animatedly, a white garment bag folded gently over Kelly’s arm. I decided I better not interrupt, so I walked down the street trying to kill some time.

A few blocks from Edna’s shop I passed a small antique store that sat on the boulevard across from the harbour. I stepped inside and immediately felt like I was taken back a century. The old furniture smelled of oak and dust and the floorboards squeaked with each step I took.
“Can I help you?” An older gentleman stepped out from behind an old wardrobe.
“Just looking, thanks though.”
“Sure. If you need anything though, my name is Walter.”
I gave him a small smile and wandered around the store, before stopping in front of the counter.
“It’s quite the ring isn’t it?” I heard Walter say from behind me. We slid behind the counter and pulled it out. “It’s been sitting here a years, seems that no one has quite the liking for it that I do.”

He placed the small box in front of me.

“May I?” I asked as I picked up the box.
“Yes of course.”

I pulled the ring from the box and looked at it closely. The intricate detail on the band had a Celtic feel to it and the light pink emerald cut center diamond was surrounded by a halo of smaller white diamonds. “Why wouldn’t anyone love this?” I asked. ‘It’s amazing; I’ve never seen anything like it.”

“It seems that you have exquisite taste. Not a lot of people can see beyond what’s on the outside. Turn it over, there’s an inscription.”
I turned the ring over and read the tiny script “Je vous promets les étoiles” I said out loud. “I promise you the stars.” I whispered afterwards. How could it be possible that I come across something so perfect without creating it myself?
“Would you like me to wrap it up for you?” Walter asked.
I smiled at Walter. “Yes, please.” I passed the ring back to him. I didn’t even look at the price, it didn’t matter. I just passed him my credit card.

Kelly POV
By the time I was done running all of my errands I was hungry, tired, and in desperate need of a drink. Trina, Taylor, and my Mom allowed me to drag them all over the city to get all of the last minute details done. When I finally sat down, I checked my phone. Three missed calls and four texts from Sid. Shit, I gave him a hard time and made sure he promised to answer my calls and I never picked up once.
“Here you go honey” My mom passed me a glass of wine as I was checking my messages.

Sid: Hope everything is going okay. Let me know if you need any help.

Sid: Missing you

Sid: Are you okay?

Sid: I’m worried…

I immediately called him back and he picked up on the first ring. Before he could say anything I jumped in. “I’m so sorry, this day has been crazy. How mad at me are you?” I heard him chuckle on the other end.
“I’m not mad. When you didn’t answer I texted my mom and Taylor. They confirmed my suspicions that you were indeed very busy today.” He was teasing me. He knew just the right buttons to push.

“Did you get your suit?”
“Maybe.”
“Come on Sid, you should see how big this glass of wine is that’s in my hands. Humour me, please.”
“Yes Babe, I got my suit, I walked Sam, and I did not get a hair cut.”
“Thank you. So what are you doing now?”
“Masturbating”
“Sid! Come on, that’s disgusting. Seriously, what’s your plan for tonight?”
“I’m going to have a few drinks with my dad, maybe watch some porn.”
“Oh my God, you’re impossible.”
“And that is part of the reason why you love me so much. Go and enjoy your glass of wine. I’ll see you tomorrow right? Twelve noon on the dot.”
“Twelve noon on the dot. I promise not to be late. I can’t wait. I love you.”
“I love you more.”

Sid POV
I have to say that I slept pretty damn well, but woke up with butterflies in my stomach. This was it. This was the day that I was finally going to marry my best friend, the girl from down the street who stole my heart when I was eight years old.

I tried to eat breakfast but found that my nerves were getting the best of me so I took Sam out for a quick run. The adrenaline kicked in when I hit the half way mark and I pushed myself a little harder than I normally do in the off season. As I arrived back at the house I saw my dad sitting on the porch, coffee in one hand, newspaper in the other.

“Hey.” I said as I climbed the porch stairs.
“You okay?” He asked “Nervous?”
“A bit, but I’m okay.”
“Good. Here, drink this. It’ll help with the nerves.”
I smiled at my dad as I took the cup from him. “Thanks, what is it?”
“Tea. And I may or may not have poured some peppermint schnapps in that.” He winked and got up from the table and patted me on the back. “I’m going to go get ready.”
“Okay, I’ll be inside in a few.”

I sat down on the deck and looked out at the lake. It was calm, like glass. I wish my insides would feel that calm. I took a sip of the team and felt my cheeks turn red and my throat burn as it went down. I don’t think there was any tea in that cup. I called Sam back from the beach before getting up and heading inside to get ready.

Kelly POV
“Hold still Kel, I promise it won’t hurt.” Taylor was hovered over me, trying to glue fake eyelashes onto me.
“That’s what you told me the last two times you tried to put those damn things on.” I laughed. “Maybe we should just skip the eye lashes.”
Taylor looked down at me. “Good call, because I was afraid I was never going to get them to work. We’ll just load them up with mascara instead.” She rummaged through her makeup case and grabbed the black tube. Taylor insisted that she do my makeup, and although I protested at first, I was glad I gave in. All morning my hands were shaking and if I had tried to do it myself it would have been a mess.

I was nervous, and excited all in one. This was it, the day I finally got to marry my best friend, the boy who stole my heart when I was eight years old. I paced my mom’s living room and watched every minute tick by on her old grandfather clock.

“Okay, I think we’ve got everything. Are you about ready to go?” My mom asked, walking down the hallway adjusting her earring.

“Yeah, I think so. Wow mom, you look amazing.” She pulled me into a hug.
“Thanks sweetie. I am so happy for you. You know that I love Sidney and I want you guys to be happy right? So just take each day at a time and enjoy your time together.”

“I will mom. I know that after everything we have been through that we are going to be okay. We’re going to make it because we’ve never given up on each other.” I wiped a tear from my eye and hugged my mom again.

“Alright! Let’s get this show on the road!” Taylor came bursting out of my old bedroom in her jaw dropping new dress. I can’t believe that my big brother is finally tying the knot. This is going to be the best day ever!”

My mom and I looked at each other before bursting out laughing. “Oh Taylor. I love you.” I said in between my giggles. “Where’s your mom?”

“Oh, she’ll be here in a few minutes. She was just making sure that my dad had everything before she left the house.”

“Well then, how about a glass of champagne while we wait?” My mom suggested.

“Sounds perfect to me.” I replied.

Sid POV
I stood at the end of the isle, waiting for her. My palms sweating as I wiped them on my suit pants and looked over at my dad. He gave me a reassuring wink, and then nodded his head towards the back of the house.

Kelly POV
The music started playing and I peeked out the window to see Sid and Troy standing at the end of the isle. I wiped my sweaty hand on the handkerchief my mom gave me and took a deep breath as the French doors opened up.

Sid POV
Seeing her walk towards me, it was the best feeling. She locked her eyes on me and I smiled. She looked radiant in her short pink lace dress; I had never seen her look more pretty in my life.

Kelly POV
As I walked towards him our eyes locked. He looked handsome in his charcoal gray pin striped suit. I held back my tears as I got closer to my future, my forever.

Sid POV
Once she was close enough I reached out and took her hand. “Hey” I whispered.
“Hey” she whispered back. I smiled at her before we both turned to and look at Peter.
“Ready?” He asked Me and Kel
We both nodded. I squeezed Kelly’s hand as Peter started speaking. I don’t remember anything he said up until he asked us to read our vows.
“Sidney, would you like to read your vows?”
I cleared my throat and grabbed the folded piece of paper from my suit jacket.

Kelly POV
Sid cleared his throat and searched for his vows in his pocked. He finally retrieved them and what he said to me will be engrained in my heart forever.

“Who meets their soul mate when they are eight years old? That stuff doesn’t happen in real life, except it did happen, to me. You have always been the one person who knew me better than I knew myself and through all of our trials and tribulations we have always made our way back to each other. Your forgiveness and love is what gets me through my days.”
He stopped, and I wiped a tear from my cheek. Sid smiled before continuing. “I promise to always put you first and to fight for us at all costs. Loving you has always been easy even when I thought it would break me to admit it and I promise to always consider your answer before declaring that I am right. Je vous promets les étoiles.”

I was rusty with my French but I knew he was promising me the stars, just as he had when we were kids.

I wasn’t sure I was going to be able to top that and when Peter nodded towards me I turned to my mom who handed me my vows. I felt my face turn red with embarrassment. Public speaking wasn’t my forte, even if it was just our family…and putting my words on paper was harder than I thought.

Sid POV
Kelly looked nervous as she took the paper from her mom. Her face was a few shades redder and her hands were shaking as she unfolded it. I grabbed her hand to try and settle her nerves and she gave me a weak smile, took a deep breathe, and bore her soul to me.

“I never thought that through the hurt I could love so much. I was wrong. From the moment you walked back into my life I knew it would never be the same. You gave me all of your memories, your pain, and your heart without even knowing if I was going to accept them. I did, there was never any doubt.

I’ve known since we were sixteen that we were going to get married. To marry my best friend, it’s what I’ve always dreamed. Besides, I figured that no one else would be able to put up with your superstitions.”
I laughed and nodded in agreement.
“ Regardless, my love for you gets fonder every day that we are together. You are my rock, my protector, my lover, and my soul mate. I promise to be there for you as you have been there for me, and not get upset when you leave the toilet seat up. I also promise that no matter how hard it gets, no matter what gets thrown in our way, I will never, ever give up on us. You are my everything. I love you.”

My throat had tightened up when she finished and I was trying to hold back my tears. Peter spoke before I let my emotions get the best of me.

“Now that Sidney and Kelly have shared their vows, may I ask for the rings?”

Kelly POV
Troy and my mom both reached over and handed our rings to Peter. Before reciting something about how love has no ending (I was too busy looking at my overly handsome soon to be husband) he handed us each others rings.

“Sidney, as you place the ring on Kelly’s finger, please repeat after me.”

“What, hold up a second.” Sid replied, causing not just me, but everyone else to burst out laughing. “I forgot. I got you something.” He was looking at me. “I found this yesterday.” He was digging through his pants pocket. “And if you don’t like it, we can return it but I thought it was perfect, anyways, I hope you like it.” He finally found what he was looking for and pulled from his pocked a beautiful ring. It was breath taking. A pink diamond with a halo of smaller white diamonds, I was speechless.

“There’s an inscription too.” He turned the ring over and read the words that were so carefully scrawled inside.

“Je vous promets les étoiles”

I was speechless, my mouth was still open when he took my wedding band from Peter and placed it on my finger. Sliding the new ring on after it.

“Kelly, it’s your turn.” Peter nudged me as I trained to gain my composure.

“Right um, yes.” I grabbed Sid’s ring and watched him smile and I slid it on his finger.

“Now that Sidney and Kelly have exchanged rings and said their vows, would you like to kiss your bride?"

Sid gave a wicked smile and rubbed his hands together. "Would I ever!" He swooped me into a dip, sweeping me off my feet. Our first kiss, it made time stop, nothing else mattered except his mouth on mine. I could have stayed in his arms like that forever. We heard Peter clear his throat, telling us that we should probably take a breath. We reluctantly broke apart and looked out our family.

Peter spoke up, getting everyone's attention. "I will ask for their witnesses to now please come and sign the register. ” Peter motioned towards Troy and my mom and they stepped forward.

“Well that was fun, wasn’t it?” Sid nudged me as we stood beside our parents, watching them sign the marriage license.

“Most fun I’ve had in my life.”

Peter stepped behind us and raised his voice. “Ladies and Gentlemen, may I present to you, Mr. and Mrs. Crosby.”

Sid grabbed my hand and we walked towards our family. We were greeted first by Taylor who threw her arms around her brother and me, tears rolling down her face. “Best damn wedding I’ve ever been to.” She wailed into Sid’s chest.

“Then why are you crying like that?” He raised an his eyebrows at her..

“Because I’m just so happy, stop it, I can’t help it.” She pulled back, wiped her face and went to stand beside her dad.

I looked at the people standing around us, and I looked over at Sid. My husband. We did it, we found our way back to each other and now nothing was going to separate us again. Not hockey, not time, not distance, nothing. This, was the best damn day of my life.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey you guyyyyys!
I do apologize that this took so freakin' long to post. I seriously had intentions of getting it posted last week. So please accept my apologies. So here it is, Sid and Kel finally Tie the knot!

You can check out her wedding dress here http://mariannewilsonphotography.com/stephaniejames.jpg

Now on for some Olympic Fun...GO CANADA GOOOOO!