Status: Work in progress

Last Chance

Complete

Now that he had explained it, I understood. I understood what he had done for me, and how it hurt him just as much as it hurt me. I pulled back and looked up at him, all the anger that I had felt was gone. Gone in an instant the moment I realized that he sacrificed his happiness for me. Here I was thinking that all the hurt was one me, only to find out that he suffered too. I put my head back on his chest and squeezed him tighter. I didn't want to ever let go.
"You're right." I mumbled into his chest. He unwrapped his arms from around me and stood back.
"Right about what?" He asked.
"Leaving. You were right. It made me so mad and so upset that I threw all my energy back into hockey. I only realize now that you saved me. If I had given up hockey and lost you I don't think I could have survived." Sid's eyes lit up and he chuckled.
"I'm glad that I finally got to explain myself to you Kel. I've been waiting a long time."
I picked up the picture he had left with the note and handed it to him. "This is yours."
"Thanks, I feel lost without it. I carry it everywhere." He smiled as he took it from my hands and placed it in his wallet. "So tell me what you've been doing, fill me in on life!" He said as he took a seat on my couch. He was excited, and I couldn't wait to tell him everything.

-----Christmas 2001-----

I had waited all day to be able to hang out with Sid. Christmas morning was always reserved for family time and we had the short amount of time before dinner where we could hang out. I couldn't wait to give him his Christmas present either. I normally didn't buy presents for any of my friends, as money was tight and I could hardly afford to buy for my family. But this year was different. I had worked part time at the conession at the rink and I was able to save quite a bit of money. I was sitting on the floor eating a naniamo bar and playing with the dog when the doorbell rang. I jumped up and ran to the door. He stood there in his parka and toque, his face red from the cold. I threw my arms around him "Merry Christmas Sid!"
"Merry Christmas Kel" He said as I released him from the hug and pulled him into the house. I didn't even give him time to sit down before I dug his gift out from under the tree. "Here!" I nearly squealed as handed him his gift.
"Jeez Kel, what's got you so excited?"
"I'm excited because I was able to buy you a cool gift this year! Open it!"
"Okay okay, give me a second." He meticulously unwrapped the gift and it was painful to watch.
"God Sid, you can be such a girl sometimes. Rip the it open!" He looked up at me and chuckled. "I'm enjoying the process of unwrapping this. Now chill." He held his hand up so I couldn't attack the gift and unwrap it myself. After what felt like hours he finally opened it. He looked up at me and smiled.
I had saved for months to be able to buy the Might Ducks Boxed Set.
"This is awesome Kel, do you want to watch one now?" He asked.
"You know it! D2 is my favourite, can we watch that one?"
"It's my favourite out of the three of them too!" I grabbed the DVD from his hand and popped it in the DVD player. We sat on the floor in front of the couch and was Might Ducks 2, neither of us saying a word. We were in our own perfect world.

---------
We sat on the couch and caught up on our lives. I asked Sid what it was like to win the Cup and the Olympics all within such a short period of time. We then talked about his injuries and how he missed the game. As long as we had been apart, it felt like no time had passed.
"How long are you in town?" I asked.
"How long do you want me in town?" He smiled.
"Forever." I mumbled as I got up off the couch. "I have an idea." Sit tight I'll be back in thirty seconds."
"Alright" He laughed.
I ran to my room and grabbed the DVD off my shelf. I than ran to the kitchen and grabbed two rootbeers out of the fridge. I was literally back in thirty seconds.
"Remember when we were fourteen? The winter before you left for St. Mary's and I bought you the Might Ducks DVDs?"
"How could I forget?" He smiled as I passed him a rootbeer.
"That was the best Christmas I ever had. I want to relive that. Right now. Might Ducks 2 and Rootbeer."
"Sounds like a plan to me." He said as he opened his drink.
I popped the DVD into the player and took a seat on the floor, resting my back against his legs. We were back. Sid and Kel, Kel and Sid, I knew that we were both now complete.
♠ ♠ ♠
Kelly understands now why he did what he did. Now I think the two of them need to figure out if they are supposed to be friends.....or more. Stay tuned....