Sequel: Hold Tight
Status: complete

Closer

Is it a bump in the road or the end of the line?

Just a few months shy of the third anniversary, Laurel Tomlinson was spotted for the fifth time this week without her hubby, singer Louis Tomlinson. Trouble in paradise? While nothing has been confirmed, rumors of divorce are running wild. Sources say the couple has been living apart for almost a month. Is it a bump in the road or the end of the line? Thoughts about the pending split? Leave us your comments below.

Louis sighed at the article on the screen in front of him. He knew she shouldn’t be searching the Internet for any sign of her, but he couldn’t help it. The new divorce papers had arrived. The blank line demanding his signature glared up at him, driving him nuts. They’d been sitting in front of him for hours, the pen had been in his hand for hours. But he couldn’t do it. He told Laurel he would, but he couldn’t. How was he to let go of someone that he loved so much. It just wasn’t possible.

He threw his phone down, and set the pen flying across the room. He shoved the papers to the ground, rubbing his face with his hands. This was too much. The end was so close. Just a signature away.

He stood from the table and started pacing. He felt anxious. His fingers tingled, like he needed to grab something but couldn’t decide what. He was restless, and he couldn’t think of anything to do but walk around the dining room.

It was back. The feeling was back. The feeling that he always pushed aside because it wasn’t as important. The feeling that followed him around all day, that gnawed at his mind no matter what. The feeling of emptiness, of selfishness. He tried to fight it; he was so good at fighting it.

He let out a frustrated groan and stormed into the kitchen. It was where he had left it. There were so many moments of weakness over the past month. He had always come so close to giving in. He was so good at fighting it off. But the more his life fell apart the louder the need became.

He opened the refrigerator and stood in the fluorescent glow for what felt like days. His biggest weakness was looking right back at him. Its so close. His fingers itched to reach out and grab it. He lifted his arm. What else does he have to loose? His fingers caressed the cool glass bottle. It was a little weak, but that’s all he could bring himself to buy. He grabbed the whole pack and let the door fall shut with a hollow bang.It doesn’t even matter anymore.

He slumped into the living room with a heavy heart. There was a desire he had. A desire to be in as much pain as possible. That way he wouldn’t feel so horrible about what he was about to do. He sat the bottles on the coffee table and tore through the movie collection. He winced when he found what he was looking for. He popped the DVD in and grabbed his first bottle.

The sound of Laurel’s laughter filled the room. He popped the cap off. ”I’m getting married!” She said to the camera with a big smile. She was already in her dress, looking beautiful as ever. He watched as Laurel talked about their wedding. She was in her dressing room before the ceremony, and the videographer was recording her pre wedding thoughts. They both thought it was a brilliant idea to get the wedding on video. They could cherish the memories forever. But right now, it was his biggest regret.

He didn’t want to see how happy he used to make her. He didn’t want to remember that he couldn’t do that anymore. He didn’t want to remember that he couldn’t make his wife smile anymore, that she couldn’t love her enough anymore. He didn’t want to remember that he was a total fuck up and didn’t deserve her in the first place.

He brought the bottle to his lips and took a generous sip. He felt his anxiousness be calmed. He felt himself relax and succumb to his most dangerous vice. He felt himself get even more lost, because he didn’t even know where he was anymore. And he gave in, because he was a coward. No wonder Laurel didn’t want him anymore.

“The couple has chosen to write their own vows for the ceremony today. Laurel, you can begin.” The justice informed the crowd of onlookers who were watching the young couple standing at the alter. Louis smiled at Laurel and she smile back, talking a deep breath before she began.

"Louis, before I met you I thought I knew love. That when it finally walked into my life I would recognize it immediately. I never thought I would crash right into love-literally. But you smiled at me, and somewhere inside I knew. I wasn’t looking, and when I let myself fall I never imagined it would feel this good. You are it for me. My best friend. You laugh when I make a fool of myself and you hold me before I even know I need it. I promise that I will do everything and anything for you. On top of all the other vows that I will make to you on our wedding day, I also vow to always appreciate how lucky I am to have someone who makes me feel the way you do and to continue to try as hard as I can to make you feel as special as you make me feel, forever and ever. I love you so much Louis William Tomlinson."

“Laurel, when we first met you scared the hell out of me. You knocked me off my feet. But when you grabbed my arm and yanked me off the ground I knew you were a girl I had to know. You are everything I 've ever wanted and everything I didn’t know I needed. You talk too loud sometimes, you are far too clumsy for your own good and everyday I look at you and can't believe I was this lucky. I promise that I will give you everything you deserve and anything you want. I promise to be there for you every waking moment. I promise that I will love you until this life ends and probably long after that. I love you, to the end of the universe and back."

The tears slipped from Laurel's eyes as she gazed at the man in front of her. Louis gave her hand a gentle squeeze and a soft smile. It made her heart damn near beat out of her chest. Her world was standing in front of her, and she couldn’t believe she was here. All Laurel could see was Louis. His smile, his nose, his eyes, his cheekbones, the faint blush on his skin.

“Are we doing this? Are we gonna get married?” He asked her with a laugh, reaching up to wipe some stray tears from her face.

“Yeah. I think we are.” Laurel said back, giggling at his question.

“Okay.” Louis nodded.

They looked over at the official, indicating that they were ready to continue. “Are you, Laurel Amelia Rutherford free to lawfully marry?” The official asked.

“I am.” She replied, her words nearly getting stuck in her throat.

“Are you, Louis William Tomlinson, free to lawfully marry?” He asked Louis.

“I am.” He said, not taking his eyes away from.

“I, Laurel Amelia Rutherford, take you, Louis William Tomlinson to be my lawful wedded husband.” She said after the official.

“I, Louis William Tomlinson, take you, Laurel Amelia Rutherford to be my lawful wedded husband.” Louis said to no one but her. Those words pulled her back to earth and that was it. She was his and he was hers. He pulled in her by their joined hands and took her lips in the faintest kiss. Sweet and pure, just like the promises they made to each other. Their family and friends cheered but the newlyweds paid no mind. They got lost in each other for a few precious moments, sealing this once in a lifetime love with a kiss.

"Laurel Tomlinson." Louis muttered when they pulled apart. His forehead rested on hers as they basked in the feeling. "My wife." He nearly whispered. Only Laurel could hear and that was the way to was supposed to be.

"I love you." She whispered, for good measure.

"I love you." He repeated.


“Lou, I know you and Harry are fighting like a lot of girls, but you’re going to dinner with us tonight.” Niall yelled into the house, not bothering to ring the bell. The house was dark except for a sliver of light in the hallway from the television. Niall heard the mumming dialogue from the television, so he figured to look for him there.

Niall sighed when he stepped into the room. Louis was sprawled out on the couch, his eyes closes. He was snoring slightly, much to Niall’s relief. There were empty bottles of been all scattered around and his wedding video was playing in the background. It was a pretty pathetic sight to behold, but that was nothing new.

Niall was accustom to Louis’ drinking. After a while it just becomes normal. He thought that Laurel had helped him get it under control. Louis was doing so good and now he mucked it all up. Niall picked up the remote and clicked off the T.V. He fished his phone out of his pocket and started to call Liam telling him the news. On the way out of the room the toe of his shoe caught on a stray bottle, sending it across the room noisily.

“Fuck.”  
♠ ♠ ♠
this part was difficult for a number of reasons...first because i suck at fluffy stuff and second because Louis is really sad:( i'm excited to post the next chapter...but i want to try and get ahead before i post more. i've got a lot of random sections, i just need to put it together ahaha!

thanks so much for the lovely comments yesterday!!! ya'll are far to kind! feedback is always loved/appreciated. thanks for reading!!!