Dirtbag

I MUST GO IN; THE FOG IS RISING

Dolly is with me only because Hanson isn’t talking to me—he’s being a little bitch. Fergus is smoking a make-up-bowl with Becky. They got into another fight right before Dolly and I left.

We’re standing in the middle of Raine, which has become our usual spot, and people watching. To be specific, Dolly is people watching. It’s one of her favorite pastimes.

“How much do you want to bet,” she says to me, “that guy is telling Blondie he has a big shlong.”

“Christ, Doll,” I groan, “don’t say shlong in public.”

“You’re such a pussy sometimes.”

I don’t respond, and this is when Dolly begins to question me.

“Why haven’t you talked to Hans in a couple of weeks?” she asks. Her voice is quiet and soft, which is fucking weird, and I am confused as to why she knows this. So, I ask her.

“Fergus was super high one day so he told Becky, and Becky told me because I’m her only friend that is aware of her boyfriend’s existence. Need I continue on?”

Hans?” I suddenly cry. “You called him Hans. What the fuck is with that?”

“Okay, okay,” Dolly says. “I am going to tell you something, Jack, and you have to promise that you won’t freak your shit out.”

“I can’t promise anything.”

“I’ll take that as a sworn secrecy,” she dismisses me. She’s playing with the fringe on her shirt, which makes her look like a wannabe hippie. I can tell that Dolly is attempting to drag this out as long as possible. “I kind of slept with Hanson.”

I can feel the fuzzy, warm feeling of beer backtracking up through my nostrils and out onto the bar. A girl behind Dolly squeals in disgust but I’m too busy being in shock.

“Holy fuck.”

“Yeah,” Dolly says all shy and coy. She’s not the same Denise Price that I grew up with—she’s blushing like a stupid clown and won’t look me in the eye. She’s a coward, just like Hanson.

“Are you that naïve?” The words leave my mouth before I can even process them. Dolly looks me in the eyes, sending me a harsh stare, and pursing her lips together. I know that I have officially fucked up.

“This is why I didn’t want to tell you, Jack! You act like my brother and it’s fucking annoying.”

“Act like your brother?” I repeat with a scoff. “Chris would kick the shit out of Hanson Pike and feed him to the dogs. I am best friends with the douche and I am telling you that this is not a good path you are heading down, Dolly.

“Hanson cares about two things in life: himself and money. I mean, I thought you, of all people, would be smarter than this.”

Dolly slams her beer bottle onto the bar top and hisses, “Fuck you, Trenton. I’m so sick of you walking around like a beaten dog. Just because your mom died and your dad is an asswipe you think you’re entitled to labeling everyone else an asswipe. News flash, fuckhead, everyone sucks. It’s life.”

I feel like I just got punched in the stomach. Dolly has that effect on people.