Dirtbag

NOW COMES THE MYSTERY

“Are you looking for someone?” Fergus asks. He’s starting to get on my nerves because that’s what always happens. He takes another swig of his beer and follows my eyes. “’Cause you look like you’re looking for someone.”

“Maybe. Maybe not,” is all I say.

It ends up being an hour and a half of waiting. She never shows up.

“Dude, let’s go,” Fergus finally groans. “This bitch obviously isn’t showing up. Find a new vagina.”

I feel like a complete fucking idiot. Or a stalker. Either way, I sat around and hoped to catch a glimpse of some girl I don’t even know. I’m being pathetic.

“Yeah, let’s head out,” I find myself saying. And then she’s right in front of me, on the arm of some greasy asshole. I feel like I have just been slapped in the face.

“Holy shit, it’s you!” she shouts over the loud music. The sketchy prick looks around the bar. He’s surveying his surroundings.

“Uh, hi,” I reply. “Funny coincidence, seeing you here and all.” Fergus snorts behind me. I elbow him in the ribs.

“This is Gus,” the girl whose name I don’t know introduces the slime ball. I find this ironic. “Oh, Christ, you don’t even know my name. I’m Casey. Casey Reed.”

“Jack Trenton,” I say. “And this is Fergus.”

“I’m Jack’s best friend,” Fergus announces out of fucking nowhere. He’s trying to make me look stupid and I know it. I eye him. “Y’know, that really is funny. I’m Fergus and you’re Gus.”

“Yeah,” Gus mumbles. “Funny.”

“I’m glad to know you made it home okay,” I tell Casey. Moron. I sound like a pervert or something.

Casey gushes, “Thanks again. Seriously. When Jules is a drunken mess she’s really a drunken mess. Like I said, it would’ve taken me forever to get her home if it hadn’t been for you.”

“That’s our Jackie,” interrupts Fergus, slapping a hand on my shoulder. “Always saving the day and all that shit.”

“Let’s leave,” Gus says out of nowhere. Casey rolls her eyes and waves goodbye and follows the fucking dirtbag who is ruining my chances.

Even if I had to see her with an asswipe, it was worth it. I still hate dirtbags.