Number One Target

Chapter 1

I woke up in a cold sweat, it was that dream again, the dream that never went away. Then again, I was living in a complete nightmare. I lay in bed and listened to the sound of the music from the club that was just next to me, it was not my first choice for real estate but I didn’t have any say in the matter. “Who cares where you live as long as you get to live”, my Mother said when I complained of my temporary home during our once a week phone call.

This city certainly wasn’t one that I would have picked to live in either, but there was no choice in that as well. I didn’t get a choice on anything, but how could I complain when the alternative was me lying dead somewhere?

I suppose the city wasn’t that bad, it could have been worse; and as for my living arrangements, at least I didn’t have far to walk home after a night of drinking. The bar was literally 50 feet from me with just an alley separating us.

My new place of employment, was an older arena just outside of the city where I was in charge of security. Yes, it was a far cry from my job as an x-ray technician in the hospital back home, but it was a job. Not to mention the fact that Southpointe was the official practice facility of the Pittsburgh Penguins, it was nice to see all the handsome athletes on a somewhat regular basis. It was one of the easier jobs as I manned the door that the players entered and exited through and made sure that no fans bothered them from the moment they parked their vehicles until the moment that they drove away. Whether they took the route to bypass waiting fans or went the other way to obligate and sign autographs; that was their decision since no security was provided once their vehicles moved.

While I was depressed and miserable living in a city where I knew no one, unable to talk home when I wanted and had to leave all social media behind me; it was nice to be able to start over again, not have anyone know you or anything about you and it gave you the opportunity to become someone else.

Between the hot hockey players at Southpointe and the athletes that frequented Mario’s bar, my new favorite place to hang out, maybe Pittsburgh wouldn’t be so bad after all.

If only I could get those piercing blue eyes out of my mind and get the nightmares to stop, I could possibly be normal again. There was just one little detail that kept me from relaxing too much and that was the fact that there was a murderer on the loose and I was the number one target.