‹ Prequel: Symbols of Strength
Status: Finished, sorta. Just have to post it all.

At First Lyght

Part 2

Standing ten feet in front of them was a massive creature. It had the body of a wolf, except it was far more muscled and, at least, eight feet tall. It had a single fang cascading from its mouth, covered in drool, two horns bulging out of its head, two daggerlike tails waving menacingly where the one was supposed to be, and murderous red eyes. The most notable thing on it was the Hokori ( Pride ) symbol marked on its forehead.
A Hellion had appeared before them.
Fyra winced as its breath caught her; it smelled like day-old fish sandwiches. She gasped and took a step backwards, her face the very picture of shock and confusion.

“They shouldn’t… he shouldn’t be here!” Fyra’s words caught in her throat. “Team six was dispatched to take care of this creature… did they fail?” She just couldn’t wrap her mind around it, but she glanced at Leo—he was just as surprised as she was. But then, of course he was. He’d never seen one of these before.

“What… is that?” He asked, the trembling of his body becoming more obvious. The Hellion started towards them—slowly—as if stalking prey it knew couldn’t escape. They had no chance.
“That is what’s known as a Tyrant: they’re big and powerful and commanding. And, although they appear to have excessive physical strength, their main skill forces its will upon its victims to force them to do its bidding. I wonder if… no, mustn’t worry about that now.”
The beast was nearly upon them, its shaggy mane billowing freely—almost like fire.

“Run, Leo! As a Rank 3 I am obligated to protect you newbies; I cannot allow you to die here!” She turned back at him with a half-hearted smile. “Run!”
Leo hesitated for a moment. It was considered treasonous for a Partisan to leave his comrade—but it was even more looked down on to disobey a direct order from a superior. He’d just started befriending this girl… he couldn’t abandon her!

But… he had an order to follow. He turned around and dashed off as fast as he could, ducked through an alleyway, and came out on the opposite side. The street here was just as still and lifeless as the other, but no monsters could be seen. His shoulders set, he willed himself to go faster and whispered
Jiyuu ( Freedom ), and immediately his whole body seemed lighter as the spell greatly reduced the gravitational pull around his body. Without hesitating further, he took off in the direction of the Headquarters.