‹ Prequel: Symbols of Strength
Status: Finished, sorta. Just have to post it all.

At First Lyght

Part 3

You’ll be blamed if she dies. A voice in his mind piped up. They’ll all look at you as the coward who ran away.
A single tear dripped down the side of his face. He knew he wouldn’t have been able to save her if he stayed. No, the best thing he could do for her was get help.

The sound of the wind in his ears was deafening as he raced from street to street--rounding bends and passing through dark alleys. The world was so still, it made Leo uncomfortable. Eventually, panting heavily, he arrived at the NY Partisan building. It was a huge, four-story building with gigantic windows overlooking the plaza. It was painted a sharp bronze, with black lines embedded into the concrete to ward away evil. The top of the building shifted into a slope that met in the middle, like the spire of a castle tower—dark and foreboding. Leo shuddered. This place, even though it was his home, scared him to death.

He veered left and crossed the Seishin barrier; it was maintained by the three. He appeared in a dank room with small windows that afforded thin shafts of light the opportunity of dancing on the floor. A single door sat carved against the far side, the handle hanging limp from the wood. He remembered the first time he came here—the spell on the handle had surprised him so much, that he’d snapped the thing right off. Leo shook his head—he hadn’t time for reminiscing. Placing his hand against his chest, he casts Shinjitsu ( Truth ), and the facade room evaporated in a shadowy mist.

Now he stood in a great hall. Glistening marble floors shine gleefully under him, while the dark ceiling gazed down at him with disdain. Chandeliers hung limp in squares above him, and paintings of great heroes sat on every inch of each wall, making the sophisticated and elegant wallpaper barely visible under the frames. Around him were warriors of all shapes and sizes—colors and races—conversing casually with one another as if nothing ever mattered to them.
I may be new here, but someone will help me—right? Someone has to...

“Everyone!” He called out, but no one even turned to look at him. They were all far too caught up in their conversations to even notice he was there. “Fellow Partisans!” He shouted even louder, but to no avail.
“Everyone!” The desperation in his voice caused it to crack slightly. Tears were threatening to pour from his eyes as he tried so hard to get their attention. Why wouldn’t they listen to him? He was a Partisan just like they were, right?
A small group of kids glanced over at him; the tall one, obviously the leader, waved him over. Hesitantly, he complied.
“What’s got you in such a rush, kiddo?” The blonde man asked.
“My… my partner’s in danger.” He paused, thinking about what to say. “We were… ambushed by some large… thing. She told me to run… because it was her job to pro—… protect me. I…” Tears were starting to stream down his face. He clenched his fists so tightly the knuckles turned white.
The man stepped nervously from one foot to the other and looked at his friends for support. He had no experience dealing with this sort of thing. In fact, he was just barely above being new. He’d only been there a month, tops.
“Alright, kiddo, stop with the waterworks you got going on there…” He said, trying to be as supportive and casual as possible. It was obvious he wasn’t doing an expert job. The girl in his group giggled at his attempts.
“Ashton, really?” The boy shrugged.
“I’ve got, like, zero experience dealing with… um… tears. Y’know?” She nodded and patted Leo on the head. “Come now, dry up those tears. You’re a Partisan! We aren’t supposed to cry—we’re supposed to be strong and brave!” She said cheerfully. “Good. Now, take us to your friend, if you don’t mind.” Her long brown hair dangled around her face gently. Leo hardened his resolve and nodded.
“Right.”