‹ Prequel: Symbols of Strength
Status: Finished, sorta. Just have to post it all.

At First Lyght

Part 5

        Fyra had been fighting for what seemed like ages.  Her sleeves were torn, a large gash rent the middle of her torso, cuts and bruises of all sorts riddled her legs, and the blood from her forehead wound was starting to obscure her vision.  Worst of all, she was tired.  She stood with her back pressed against the side of a grocery store holding a ripped piece of fabric against her head to keep the blood out of her eyes.  The beast crouched warily before her with its forelegs digging into the cement, and a triumphant smirk set across its wicked face.  Its fur was singed in many places, and a shard of ice protruded from its left leg, forcing it to walk with a slight limp, but it didn’t even seem to recognize the injuries.  It didn’t seem to feel pain at all.
“Go on then!”  She shouted angrily.  “Finish me off!”  It chuckled, as if she’d voiced the most absurd thing it had heard.

“Oh no, much meat for live girl. Boy ran, but Arget will find.  Arget will smell and find boy, and he will die and suffer.  You will die and suffer too, but you have much to offer to us.  We shall use you, yessss… we shall use you well.”  The wretchedness in its voice sent hard chills up Fyra’s spine.  She forced herself to stand up straight and summoned a glowing blade of flame out of the air itself.
“None will use me to their liking, I swear it.”  As she took a step forward, she seemed to vanish into the humid air.  Arget had seen her do this many times before, so he looked up to where he knew she would appear—but she was not there.

“Over here, mutt.”  She had appeared behind him.
“Shishi-za!”  She shouted as she waved her sword in an intricate pattern.  The flames from her weapon formed the head of a lion as it shot off towards him.  He turned around and lashed out at it, but too late.  It struck the right side of his body with such intensity; he was knocked backwards and toppled into the building.  Already weakened severely, the framework gave way and the grocery store fell apart above him.  Fyra fell to her knees.  That had taken the rest of her strength, and a bit more than that, to invoke.  She was completely drained, but she knew her opponent was only just getting started.

A large slab moved to the side as Arget stepped out of the rubble.  His entire right side was blackened and badly burned, but the crazed expression did not disappear from his face.
“So strong, you are!  With more power, I may have died.  But were weak, and now are weaker.  I will finish you slowly, but will not kill.  No—you shall suffer at our hands!  We will not make death come and hurry for you!”

Despite her current level of exhaustion, she stood up.  As a member of the Partisan, she would absolutely not die on her knees.  She would accept death, gratefully, while standing.
“I did use your toothbrush for the cleaning of the bathroom floor, Leo.”  She admitted.
“Then you gon’ buy me a new one!”  Leo jumped out from behind a nearby building with both of his swords in his hands.  “I use that toothbrush, you know!”  Fyra nearly wretched.
“What are you doing back here, Leo?  I gave you instructions to flee!”  He waved her off and looked towards Arget.
“I brought some friends along for the ride.”  She looked around.
“Where?”

Utter silence.  It was clear to Leo that they lost his trail when he ran off.  His face turned a bright shade of red at the realization.  “T-they’ll be here, promise!”  Oh gosh, I really hope they get here soon.  She ain’t got any juice left in’er, and I can’t fight this thing alone.

“Risou! (Ideal)” He invoked.  A green energy formed around his body—taking the form of a bear.  He charged the beast, swiping full force at the side of its face.  With a loud boom, it shot off into the nearby park and crashed into a group of trees.

“Fyra, get outta here while you can!  I gotta protect you!”  She shook her head violently.
“No, absolutely not!  I am supposed to be the one to protect you, Leo!  Not the other way around!”
“Run!”  He shouted in a voice that brooked no argument.  She gritted her teeth and turned to dash off, but behind her stood a group of teenagers she didn’t particularly recognize.  Aside from the egotistical Ashton, of course.

“You have got to be joking me—you are our reinforcements?  Surely this is a mistake?”  The tall blonde boy swaggered towards her.

“Naw, kiddo—we’re here to save your hides.  You can thank us later.”  They charged into the battle without further delay.  While Leo was able to catch the monster off guard for the first few moments, the tide quickly turned on the young Partisan.  Luckily they showed up when they did, as the four of them easily dispatched of the beast.