Status: WIP

Is This Love?

The Interview

The tour was mundane as anything, ask me what we talked about I would have no idea. I would assume I would have pointed things out to him, told him what’s good, places to avoid sitting, what you can eat from the vending machine and what are to be avoided at all costs, and I probably slipped in a few heavily exaggerated truths about Danny. All in a days work.

The first few days of anyone’s internship go by in a blur; the kid struggles at first, some people take advantage over the naivety of fresh meat. You let it happen a few times so they become aware of what they can and what they can’t do while on the job, but sometimes you have to step in and protect the little duckling. Mostly those happen to be the times when Daniel tries to take advantage since swaying the Kid’s opinion he has of him heavily affects how he will be perceived in the office.

So when Daniel tried to get the boy to spend the next three hours organising the paper clips into size and colour orders it was time to intervene.

“Flame,” I let out slowly, walking into the corner he seemed to settle himself into, seeing the mountain piles of paperclips he had around him. He jerked slightly at the sound of my voice, clearly blocking out the world around him as a way to get the task done as quickly as he can. For that I don’t blame him at all. “What are you doing?”

“Um... organising paperclips…” he said softly, cheeks flushing while avoiding my gaze.

I clicked my tongue and nodded slowly, “right… why are you?”

This time he did look up, those wide baby blues staring back at mine. “Well, because Mr. Mills suffers from OCD right? Everything has to be in size order, colour coded or he gets aggravated and work gets put back by two hours, so Daniel asked me to…” he began, but I cut him off quickly by placing a hand on his shoulder.

“Danny boy told you to do this did he?” I stated, barely holding back my distain for him. “Well, in future Kid, anytime he asks you to do something double check with me first yeah?” I waited until I saw him nod before continuing, “Right scoop them back into something and we’ll go pay Danny boy a little visit I think.”

So that is the story of why Danny got hundreds of paperclips tipped over his head and he learned not to take advantage of any interns that are under my wing. The two of us ended up backs pressed heavily against the wall while we avoided the piercing glare of Ezra. Apparently that is not setting a good example, when really I thought it provided an important lesson in not letting people walk all over you.

“So…” Flame breathed out, flashing a wicked grin my way. Clearly this kid liked pulling pranks, so if the flirting back fired there was always that there to fall back on. “You going to teach me anything?”

I laughed and pushed myself off the wall, stepping in front of him, height wise there wasn’t much of a difference. A few inches at most between us. I know I’ve always been a bit short, a fact Connor likes to hold over me since that’s the only good point in his favour between us. Still the fact I could look down at him, if only slightly, made me feel like I had more power between us. I cupped his face lightly, “sweetheart I already did,” I spoke softly, seeing the confusion on his face before dropping my hand away. “Lesson number one, whenever you can make Danny boy look like a twat.” I added, flashing a wink over at him. I stretched and caught sight of the clock on the wall, five minutes later and I would have been running late.

“Fancy meeting Muse?”

Alright so I might have overheard Hailee and Flame over talking about their love for Muse, and I might have not mentioned the fact that I would be doing an interview with them until the last possible moment. Just that way it is more of a surprise than anything. It was a good thing that I wasn’t expecting the kid to talk, just to stand in the back ground and observe how a profession interview is done and how that is different to one on t.v. The atmosphere here I like to think is more relaxed, but you can tell they are aware everything they might say could be edited differently, to our own personal gain. Although that’s something I never intentional do, especially to such nice guys like the guys from Muse, still it just somehow happens.

Anyway, throughout the interview the Kid became a bit of a distraction, his wide eyes of disbelieve at being in the same room as his heroes. I remember having the exact same look when someone brought me along to an interview, but that was three weeks into my internship but Ezra is a hard man to get on your side but once he is there the chance of him leaving is slim. Still when he took me to my first interview I doubted there was any personal gain to it. The educational point still stood though, it was beneficial to see.

The interview came to an end, the customary handshakes were given, and the fact Flame didn’t freak out the first minute they left the room was impressive. Still it only took a few seconds afterwards before he was retelling the whole experience as if I wasn’t even there. Luckily everyone saw it as adorable instead of him being an annoying little fan boy.

“Flame,” I said softly giving his shoulder a squeeze, “breathe.” I watched him while he took my advice holding back a laugh as he looked like he was about to cry. That’s dedication right there.

My attention from him fell as my phone buzzed in my pocket; I fished it out and saw the text from Tom. Looks like I’ve suddenly got plans again for the weekend.