He Said He Loved Me

He Said He Loved Me

"Nice birthmark, Hanson!" The boys at my school laughed hysterically, reveling in my embarrassment. Each pointed finger's end another shot, numbing my body effortlessly. The girls were worse, though. They didn't say words, but instead used their eyes to ridicule me and the staring was poisonous.

He said he loved me...

We met over the summer, both of us taking driver's ed. We practiced together, shared a few laughs, failed our tests, and eventually began hanging out after class. In the blur of a summer's night, I let him sneak a kiss. And then another...

"Mom... This is Marcus."

She fell in love with him just as soon as I did, inviting him over for dinners and such. He provided the shoulder I needed when my grandmother died and stayed with me the night that my father hit my mom for the first time. He learned all of my secrets and...

He said he loved me...

His hands were warm, just as I'd hoped they would be, and soft against my skin. His hugs were like cool ice to my bruised heart. I let him kiss me in places I hadn't ever been touched and it felt like exactly what I needed. My most prized possession, my temple of purity, my only weapon... It was gone in a matter of minutes. Painful and unexpected minutes that seemed to tear my insides apart. I let it happen... Though, I didn't know. After all...

He said he loved me...

The room was too dark to see any flashing red light. Or maybe I did see it... Maybe I just wanted to pretend it wasn't there, so then I wouldn't have to believe that Marcus wasn't perfect for me. Who knows... That light could have been anything. But maybe I didn't care... I couldn't have known Marcus would so such a repulsive thing as this.

He said he loved me...

By the beginning of school, I had no friends to talk about my problems to. Nobody would talk to me. That is, of course, if they weren't picking fun at me. They were terrible to me, picking apart my every flaw they could find about my body, including the birthmark on my left thigh that I had once loved. But Marcus was worst of all... I came to find that he was a whole four years older than me. He spoke not a word to me after that summer, and not even when people would whisper about me. But he laughed. He and his senior friends laughed at me and posted the video online for the world to see. Teachers looked at me differently, my parents were ashamed of me, and no one at my church gave a second glance.

They laughed and laughed and laughed until I decided to write this note.

Mom and Dad,

I love you with all of my heart and I want you to know that I'm sorry... I'm sorry for being weak and stupid. I'm sorry I didn't say no. I'm sorry for giving up.

I hope you will remember me as I was before Marcus...

But he said he loved me...

-Sarah