Status: One-Shot

A Reason to Live

one of one

Aideen's scarlet eyes looked out into the trees, catching the movement of wolves running across the dark interior of the forest. Her pale finger rolled over the catch on the lighter, making a flame spring to life. She inhaled deeply, taking in the sweet, damp scent of the world around her. Blocking out the chatter coming from inside the Cullen's house, she leaned against the railing and closed her eyes.

Though she acted to be just as apprehensive as everyone else, Aileen just wanted it all to be over with. The Volturi would not accept the Cullen's plea; everyone was going to die and they should just accept it.

“And what's a beautiful woman like you doing out here by herself?”

“Seeking solitude.” Aileen's eyes opened to look at the youngest member of the Egyptian coven. His name was...Benjamin if she remembered right. His eyes were large and mischievous. Dark, curly close-cut hair sat atop his head. “What do you want?”

“You're different than the others you came with,” he said abruptly.

Aileen looked him up and down. “I'm the only one without red hair?” she inquired, running an elegant hand through her golden waves.

Benjamin shook his head. “No, no. There's something else. Deeper than looks.”

The Irish vampire looked at him dubiously again before turning her eyes back to forest. “I'm not as thirsty for human blood as they are, if that's what you're getting at.”

“Why?”

“What do you mean?” the woman asked harshly. “Just because I'm not as enthusiastic about my diet or—”

“Calm down,” said the Egyptian with a role of his eyes. He leaned his back against the railing and studied her closely.

Aileen sighed in exasperation after a minute of silent staring and glared at him. “Take a picture, Camel Boy. It'll last you longer.”

Benjamin smirked and looked down at the silver lighter in her hands. “What's that?”

Aileen held it in front of his face, “A lighter, boyo. Ever seen one before?”

The Egyptian took her wrist and lowered her hand so he could look into her face. “Whose is it?”

“What's with the interrogations?” When he didn't answer, she sighed. “It was my dad's.”

“You keep it with you because...?”

“Because I miss him.” Aileen looked at him challengingly. “I miss him a lot.” She let a breathe escape her lips. “He died when I was sixteen. Siobhan changed me when I was eighteen. Had a pretty short, sad life as a human and now a forever damned one,” she muttered, springing another flame to life.

“You don't like being a vampire?” Benjamin asked.

Aileen shook her head, admitting something she'd never told anyone else before. “Everyday I wish Siobhan hadn't pushed aside her craving for once and just sucked me dry. I would have been happier.”

“When you're a vampire, you can live forever...”

Aileen's head snapped to the side to look at him, red eyes blazing. “Yes, living forever sounds fine until you have no one to live it with. You're surrounded by people, but you're so alone. My mum's still alive,” she said. “So is my sister and my cousins and my aunts, but I can never see them or talk to them again because they think I'm dead!” If she could cry, tears would have been streaming. Instead, she grit her teeth and glared at the other vampire. He stood there silent. “No one gets it,” she hissed and returned her eyes to the trees. “I never asked for this. I would have rather died that day.” Aileen couldn't understand why she was telling this stranger all this, but his silence and intense eyes were unleashing a dam of pent up anger and frustration that couldn't be held up again. “I wish I would have died...”

“That's why you're really here,” he said softly. “You want to be killed by the Volturi.”

Aileen nodded, but her scarlet eyes could no longer meet the Egyptian's. “There's no reason for me to live; there never was.”

Benjamin hopped up onto the deck railing and thrust his face inches from her's. Aileen stared at him, eyebrows knitted together in annoyance and confusion. His eyes were mischievous again, but his expression was serious. “What if I gave you a reason?”

Aileen looked away from his intense stare. “Like what?”

His hand cupped her chin and turned her face back to his. “A life a little less lonely.”

“And how are you going to fix that?”

“Do I have to spell it out for you?” Benjamin asked, his hand lingering on the side of her face.

“I've known you for five minutes,” Aileen said quietly, a smirk growing at her lips. “Plus, doesn't that lady friend of yours lay claim to you?”

“Tia?” he asked, raising his eyebrows. Aileen nodded. “I see her more as...a sister, really. Amun wished for us to be together, but...” He paused and leaned closer. “I think I've found someone else.”

“You're persistent aren't you, Camel Boy?” Aileen finally said, taking a step away from him.

She went to light the lighter again, but it failed. Furrowing her eyebrows, she tried again and again. Benjamin watched her carefully. Nothing. It was almost like it was the final word that everything from her old life was gone. Her last reminder of her father, last connection to her human life.

Gone.

She slid her finger across the catch, Benjamin moved his hand, and it burst to life. The fire fell into his hand, twisting and hissing like a pissed tom cat.

“You,” Aileen growled through clenched teeth. “You were doing that.” Embarrassed that he'd seen so much of her weakened side and tricked her with such a simple task, she pocketed the lighter in her jacket and continued to fume at him.

Benjamin grinned at her and pointed at the ball of fire laying in his palm. It slowly twirled and danced in his palm until a fiery rose hung in the air. He looked at the Irish vampire who was failing to hide her impressed expression.

“Not bad,” she said as he extinguished the flame with the closing of his hand and dropped to his feet beside her.

“Think about it,” he said. His hand brushed down her arm and gripped her hand. “Don't end this yet,” he said softly. “Remember I can always give you a reason.”

Aileen looked down at their conjoined hands and then at the Egyptian vampire's face. “I will,” she said and a small, genuine smile crossed her lips. She was one to hold long grudges, but something about that Benjamin really made her contradict everything about herself.

Leaning forward, she kissed him on the cheek. “Thank you,” she said.
♠ ♠ ♠
And...I have no idea why I wrote this. I really don't. Benjamin was just such a badass(I loved him!) and I felt he deserved some love(because I love him!). I just thought this all up yesterday and wrote it all today.

Honest feedback would be extremely appreciated.