Sequel: I Won't Give Up

A Blend of Fear & Passion

Greg

What a strange sensation ... a brush of lips. The mere sensation that happened just twenty-four measly hours before causing my brain to go into a sort of shock. I've never cared for someone so much after Jimmy, he showed me the world and beyond, only to shatter my heart and destroy my self-worth.

Letting out a shaky sigh, I decided to eat so I wouldn't get sick later. I heard a soft sigh come from Dawson, so I guess he was glad I was eating something finally. Once I finished, I stared at the table space between us for a moment.

Subconsciously, I grabbed Dawson's hand and rubbed it between my hands. It was calloused, as if spent doing so much work. Looking at him, I asked, "Are you a musician?" He nodded, not looking at me. Studying what bit of his face I could for a minute, I then asked, "What all can you do?"

He looked up at me with those thoughtful blue eyes before answering. "Give me a piece of chalk, I'll paint you a masterpiece. Give me film, I'll capture the world in a single frame." I felt my heart flutter, causing my breath to catch. Letting go of his hand, I grabbed our dishes and put them in the sink, leaning against it for support. What was going on?

"Why did you choose dance and singing?" I asked, trying anything to get my mind off of what just happened. I felt a slight draft, and turned my head to find him standing right next to me.

"I had a little sister, Emilee. She could do anything and make you love your life. When she got diagnosed with leukemia, my world shattered. Everything the doctors did just wasn't enough to save her." He took a shaky breath before continuing. "I needed an exit from the internal pain, so I took up dance. I needed to focus on physical and emotional exhaustion, and dance was what did it for me."

I studied his saddened face for a long time, watching the memories of childhood flash in his eyes. "And the singing?" I gently probed, silently letting him know that he didn't have to continue if he didn't want to.

"Emilee inspired me. She was the reason I wrote songs, learned to play any instrument I could get my hands on. I figured if I could belt out a song with all my pent up sadness, there would be no need for tears. Some nights proved that singing sometimes just didn't cut it."

I looked out the window, studying the life of nature in silence. Before I could even think about leaving him to his own thoughts, he asked, "What's your story?"

Looking back at him, I could tell he needed to know I was just as bad off as he was, that he wasn't alone. "As you know, I was an orphan. So I didn't know my parents. Life at the orphanage was very monotonous. You got up at the same time every day, and went to sleep at the same time every night. The only entertainment was the small TV with four channels and the piano in the den." I let out a small sigh. "I decided to take up piano, teaching myself to play so I could entertain those who were there as well as myself. Eventually, I was adopted and given dance lessons. That inspired me to do whatever I could to make it to the big stage."

"And you ended up landing a job teaching kids," Dawson said, causing me to let out a deep sigh. "I bet you hate it."

"It has its ups and downs, but I find enjoyment in it. Teaching the younger generations things to hopefully get them far. Maybe make it to Broadway." I found myself staring into the depths of Dawson's eyes my heart fluttering again. "I just want people to .." My gaze fell to his lips, "..to follow their dreams." Before I knew it, I found myself pressing my lips tenderly to his.