Sequel: I Won't Give Up

A Blend of Fear & Passion

Greg

A new day, a new school year, and some of the same faces from last year. I was hoping for some new, fresh talent that I have not yet seen, but if last year is any indication, it may be a long while before that happens.

Walking into the dance hall, I saw half a dozen new faces with about two dozen old ones. Tossing my bag to the side, I turned towards the group. "For many of you, this class isn't new. I'm not new. For the newbies, prepare to be coming in here with high hopes, and leaving with shattered dreams." Removing my shirt and throwing it aside, I grabbed the nearest stool and sat down, studying each and every face for a long moment.

"I don't want to hear any excuses you may have. I don't want I'm tired or My feet hurt. If you're expecting to take breaks every five minutes, grab your things and get the hell out of my classroom. Remember that if you decide to walk out, you are not to set foot back in this room for any reason. I don't care if mommy and daddy are paying for your instruction. If you're not willing to put forth the effort, then you have to reason to be here. Understood?"

The class nodded, making me infuriated. "Understood?" I said, much louder. Finally voicing their agreement, I stood up. Just as I was about to turn to the radio, a girl grabbed her bag and headed for the door. "Have a good life," I said, and at that, pressed the play button.

Voicing what to do, I watched as some of the newbies did very well, and some fell like stone. "I will tell you now, if you have not perfected certain moves by a certain time, you will be executed and will be allowed to try again next year. I don't allow people to come in here to fail. You will succeed or you will be gone."

That definitely seemed to help those failing a bit to try a bit harder. I continued teaching them for the rest of the class. The older students looked like they were barely pushed, whereas the new ones looked like hell.

"You will be pushed to your very limits and beyond in this class. I don't want you in this class with the thought that you can make it out on top. I was in the very same position when I was your age, and look where I am." I looked around them as they slowly came to a stop. "I am teaching you instead of being on Broadway. I am not the teacher who will congratulate you when you have succeeded. I am the teacher that will make you push yourself so hard that you will break."

I walked over to the newbies and looked at them. They all had fear in their eyes, and I smiled wickedly. In a whisper, I said, "Everything you have ever learned up to today's class ... is wrong. I will tell you now, at least one of you will be joining the young lady who left us at the beginning of the class in tears."

I watched as a young, blonde girl gulped. "I am your worst nightmare, so you best be pushing your limits beyond their boundaries because I won't have half-assers in this room. Oh, no. You give me your all and more or you're gone. For good."

When I met the gaze of a familiar blonde-haired boy. Dawson, his name was. "Andrews, so nice of you to finally show up. I don't want any excuses. You're lucky I can't just kick you out now for not being here the entire class. You're lucky you're my best student."

He didn't say a word, just stared me down as if testing my limits. I raised an eyebrow before dismissing the class. "FYI for you newbies. You ever show up late, your ass is gone. No excuses. I dare you to bring your mommy in to try and stop me."

"Dawson, a word," I said, causing him to make his way over to me. "If you make me look like a fucking pushover again, I will kick you out so fast you're gonna see stars. Now get the hell out of my sight." At that, I turned my back on him and unplugged the radio. Walking over to the window, I waited for the next group of kids that I would have so much fun making cry.