‹ Prequel: Secrets
Sequel: We Run This Town

The Motto

Kylan

“Guys, we gathered you three here today because you’re our closest friends” Kylan started. “And I…we…need to tell you something important”

“YOU’RE NOT MOVING!!!!!” Emmi exclaimed.

“I’m staying right where I am” Kylan said. “that’s not it”

“You’re changing schools?” Emmi asked.

“Can you shut up” Kylan said. “Let me talk—I’m gay, Ryan and I are dating” Emmi and Cass’s jaw dropped, Jamie shook her head. “You have something to say, Jamie?”

“You act like its some big secret” Jamie said. “You’re the two biggest twinks I’ve ever met in my entire life”

“Really?”

“I lived in England, I know the definition of gay really well”

“How long have you guys been dating?” Cass asked.

“A month” Ryan said. “But we still are closeted”

“Come out already” Emmi said. “You two look so cute together” she smiled. “I have two gay best friends, now! Well, Kylan sucks at being a good gay bestfriend” Kylan rolled his eyes.

“I’ll be everything you need, Em” Ryan said.

“Well then” Jamie said. “I have somewhere to be. Frankie and I are going out”

“Well…I had a good day” Cass said. “What should your ship name be?”

“Rylan?” Emmi suggested. “Oh Ryan and Kylan…that rhymes, LOL”

“What about Kyan?”

“I like Kyan” Ryan said. Kylan smiled.



When Kylan got home that afternoon, he saw Jayden and Alice in his living room.

“NO WAY!” Kylan attacked Alice in a hug. “What are you guys doing in town?”

“Thanksgiving break…hey look at you muscle man, have you been working out?” Kylan shrugged.

“I lift weights every once and a while…with my boyfriend” he whispered.

“NO WAY!” Alice exclaimed. “You came out?”

“Uh…no..but I have a boyfriend”

“No way” Alice said sadly. “Come out of the closet”

“It’s easier said than done”

“It’s go in or go home” Jayden said. “Have some balls for god’s fuck” she said. “I don’t even know why you haven’t told them, it’s so obvious”

“I want to know what is so obvious?” Kylan asked. “I don’t date girls, I’m pretty neutral”

“Look at how you carry yourself” Alice pointed to his hair. “You must have spent like 15 minutes”

“20, actually”

“And you’re wearing a cardigan and you’re shoes match your tee shirt…and your jeans fit you well…and”

“Ok I get it, it’s obvious I’m not normal” Kylan said.

“Just tell your parents…frankly, I would be offended if my son waited so long to tell me” Jayden said.

“Kaya would want you to come out of the closet, Ky”

They were right.



A few days later on Thanksgiving they had their whole family there. His biological dad and step mom were there with there two children. They left a seat open for kaya. It’s her first thanksgiving dead.

After they had dinner they sat in the living room and just talked with each other about school and life. Kylan stared at Kaya’s cap-and-gown picture that they took last December. Kaya always knew he was gay and wanted him to come out to their parents. He had to….for her.

“Day-dreaming?” Kat asked. Kylan snapped out of it.

“I have an announcement” Kylan tapped his finger to the side of his glass cup. “I know everyone’s still sad Kaya is gone…I’m still sad” he started. “But since before she died she knew something about me that I wanted to hide…partly because I was ashamed and afraid of what everyone would think. But I found someone I really like and I have to just say it” he said. “I’m gay” he said. Everyone in the room was silent for a moment but Kat broke it by hugging him.

“You are the bravest person I’ve ever met”