Status: slow updates

Clueless

t h r e e

Danny's P.o.v.

"Wake the fuck up!" Mike Chompa screamed at me, followed by the familiar lyrics of Tell Me The Truth.
Oh, For All Those Sleeping. I love you, too.
I sat up despite having a mini heart attack.

"Fucking hell," I yelled, glaring at Ben from my bed.
He just stood by the door with an amused yet guarded expression.
"Why the fuck d-do you have an alarm s-set?" I asked irritably, scowling.

"Because it's lunch. You slept through morning therapy and breakfast," Ben replied, shrugging.

I yawned. "R-really?" I muttered, getting up to stretch.

"Nice jacket," Ben said dryly as he opened the door.

I looked down to find the leather jacket. I took it off and put it with my stuff, feeling guilty for wearing it for some reason.
"Um, th-thanks," I said as I followed him out of the room.

Ben stayed a few paces ahead of me as we walked to the dining hall, and he didn't speak to me.
I kind of felt... odd. I felt good. Well, better than usual... But I wanted Ben to talk to me. Was that weird?
But Ben was... I don't know. He was better than me. I guess I was just lucky that I had him as a roommate.
I wanted to know why he was here. At the hospital.

"Hey Ben," I said softly, stumbling on my own feet to catch up to him.

He shot me a weary glance and slowed down.
"Yeah?" he asked just as quietly, avoiding my gaze.

"Why are you h-here? Y'know, in th-this place?" I asked nervously.

He regarded me curiously, stopping.
"I... don't want to talk about it," he said, shrugging.

I let it drop, because I didn't want Ben to get mad.
We turned various hallways before we made it to the dining hall, and when we did, I was kind of surprised at how many people were in the room.

There were at least three hundred people congregating around a serving counter and the numerous tables scattered about.

"Follow me, stay close," Ben said, biting his bottom lip.

I complied easily, feeling the stares of everyone as we walked. When I say everyone, I mean everyone. Even the talking ceased.
Maybe it was because I was with Ben. Maybe it was just Ben. Or maybe it was just me.

Ben grabbed a plate with about one million things on it, and I eyed the meal options cautiously.
I decided on a plain ham sandwich, not wanting to hold up the non-existent line, and scrambled after him.

I'd assumed we were going to sit at a vacant table. Why I'd guessed that, I don't know.
With a sigh, I realized I'd guessed wrong.

There were two other boys sitting at the circular table.
Ben sat down next to the shorter of the two and I just stayed standing, unsure if I was allowed to sit by them.

"Cam, James, this is my roommate, Daniel," Ben said, gesturing to me.
"Danny, this is Cameron," he continued, pointing to the taller kid.
"This is James," he concluded, pointing to the shorter guy.

I waved slightly and they looked at me expectantly.
I felt my eyes widen because I didn't know what to do. It was kind of like being a deer in the headlights.

"Sit down, then," James laughed, pointing to the spot next to Cam.

I looked at Cam nervously as I sat down, then averted my gaze when he looked up.
I stared at the ham sandwich instead of anyone, but I didn't touch it.

James, Cameron and Ben started talking after I sat down and I just decided to shut them out, since I wasn't really part of the conversation anyway.

I rested my chin in my palms and tried to remember what happened last night.
It was crazy, I couldn't remember, but it was something big.
Why couldn't I remember?

I pressed my palms into my eyes and tried to remember.

All I could remember was pain. So much pain...
And... Mum? Trying to kill me?

I could almost feel her delicate hands wrapped around my neck, choking me slowly to death.

I reached to the hands and pulled on them, but I couldn't breathe. I could hear her laughs inside my head...

"Stop, stop, stop!" I hissed, pressing harder into my eyes like it would make everything go away.

I felt another hand touch my shoulder and my eyes flew open to reveal three confused expressions.

Then I realized that I was shaking and panting. And there was no one strangling me.

I felt a blush creep up my neck, and I buried my head in my hands.
I wanted to cry... Why was this happening again? It hadn't happened since my parents had left me...

"What's wrong with him?" James' thick accent sounded.

"He has a lot of panic attacks," Ben said, though he sounded a bit unsure.
"Danny, you alright?" he asked.

I couldn't talk, I couldn't breathe. Tears were building up behind my eyelids, and god, I didn't want to cry. Not now, not ever.
I shook my head at Ben's question, pressing harder into my eyes. They felt like they were going to pop, but I ignored it until the tears receded.

I dared to look up and saw the three boys still regarding me curiously.

I tried to catch my breath, but I couldn't. They were all staring at me...
I wasn't having another panic attack. I couldn't tell what it was, even.
Heat built up inside me and I felt the urge to scream. Or was it growl? Why on earth would I want to growl?

"I... I need to g-get out of h-here?" I said, but it was more of a question. I was losing my grip on reality.
I looked to Ben to see if he could help me, but he was just sitting there with wide eyes. Was that... fear?

I got to my feet, but too quickly, and I had to hold onto the table to support myself. I couldn't walk. I was going to fall.

I felt an arm slip around my waist, and that was the last thing I could comprehend before everything went dark.

Ben's P.o.v.

"What's happening?" Cam asked, staring at Danny.

"What's wrong with his eyes?" James asked, leaning forward in his seat.

I didn't know what to do. I didn't know how to help.
Danny's eyes weren't even getting brighter, they just turned completely black before they slipped shut.
This had never happened to me, so I didn't know what it was exactly that was going on.

Danny started to slump to the floor, so I jumped up and caught him by the waist.

Thank god no one else was watching. They were all eating, and therefore too distracted to pay attention to the small table in the corner that we were at.

Cam's eyes widened. "Dude, you're actually helping-"

"Shut up," I snapped, looking around frantically.

What if he started to shift right there in the middle of the goddamn room?
I have to get him out of here.

"Take him to the nurse," James suggested.

"No," I instantly dismissed the idea, before deciding to just go back to our room.

I ran out of the dining hall with Danny in my arms, not caring that people had seen me being nice to anyone.

I had to get him out of there. I had to... protect him?

I ran down the first hall, barely even glancing at the game room.
I did the same with the activity hall, then with the rec room, then with the two remaining halls that had everyone's rooms.
I threw our door open, almost making the chalkboard sign with 'Benjamin & Daniel' written on it fall to the floor.
I slammed the door shut with just as much force and placed Danny on my bed gently before running to the bathroom and filling a paper cup with water.
I didn't have a clue what to do, so I just shook his shoulder roughly.

"Wake up," I muttered, moving a shaking hand to his neck to check his pulse.

His eyes popped open. They were still black.

"Danny?" I said softly, afraid that he would attack me or something.

The black orbs shifted which was my only indication that he was looking at me.

"Are... you okay?" I asked, trying to force the tremor out of my voice.

Why did I care so damn much? Why was this happening to him?
No, stop caring.
But what's happening?
Was I scared?
For him, maybe.

I bit my lip rings and waited for a reply, but none came. He just laid there and stared at me.

His nose scrunched up and he opened his mouth, letting loose a long whine. His eyebrows furrowed and he sat up. I moved back a bit so he could situate himself on the bed, and he sat cross-legged and looked at me again.

We stared at each other for a few minutes, then he yawned and moved a little closer to me.

I raised an eyebrow.
"Danny, what's going on?" I asked carefully.

He let out a little whine and reached over to me. I flinched away, but he just scratched my arm slightly, then barked.
Wait.
He bloody fucking barked.

A little smile curled his lips and he got closer yet again. I didn't move away, because I was slowly starting to understand.

He was... he wasn't turning. He couldn't be since the moon wasn't up.
He had the mind of a wolf? How the hell is that-

I snapped back to what was happening when I felt Danny curl up in my lap, resting his head on my shoulder.

I felt the urge to comfort him, not push him away, and that kind of scared me.
I resisted the urge and just sat there, unmoving as he nuzzled into my neck.
It sort of felt... nice...
But I wouldn't tell anyone that. Nope. Not even him. Not even myself. Goodbye, thought.

I gingerly allowed myself to move my hand to his back and draw invisible shapes on the fabric of his shirt in attempt to make him calm, even though he already seemed calm to me. Maybe I was just hoping it would make him... back to normal?

Danny looked up at me and I had to admit, I was kind of creeped out by his black eyes... But I now I knew I wasn't crazy, at least. I was right about non-human things being real.
I smirked with the satisfaction and realization that I was right, but it was short lived.
Danny licked my neck and I'm pretty sure my eyes were as wide as the sun.

"D-Danny-" I spluttered, feeling myself blush.
Why the bloody fuck am I blushing?

But Danny was snoring softly. It was actually a pleasant sound.
With a sigh, I backed up until my back was resting against the headboard and kicked my shoes off.

I slid my fingers through Danny's wavy shoulder length hair, liking how soft it was against my skin.

I was getting drowsy. I looked at Danny curiously, and he was smiling in his sleep.
I wasn't going to tell him what had happened, just that he'd passed out.
It would be better for him to not know, wouldn't it?
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for reading this!

And a unicorn to the commenters:

mnv109
LukaKerryn.xo