Status: Oneshot

What Best Friends Are For

1/1

“Alex!” Jack comes onto the bus screaming.

Alex was supposed to meet them for lunch an hour ago but he never showed up. He doesn’t get a response so he walks back toward the bunks. Alex had probably just fallen back asleep. He knows that he hasn’t been sleeping well these past few days.

“Alex?”

Jack pulls back the curtain of Alex’s bunk but finds it empty. He frowns and heads toward the back lounge.

“Alex you better be in here or I’m gonna beat your ass when I do find you.”
Jack comes into the back lounge and sees Alex curled up on the couch wrapped in a blanket. His mouth is hanging open slightly and he’s snoring softly and Jack almost awws at him. He just looks so freaking adorable.

Jack shakes Alex’s shoulder gently, “Come on, Alex, it’s time to wake up.”

Alex groans, “Jack?”

“Yup, you gotta wake up.”

“I don’t feel good.” Alex coughs into the crook of his elbow.

“Aww you’re sick?”

Alex nods and sits up slowly. He sneezes and then sniffs, wiping his nose with the sleeve of his hoodie.

“Do you need a tissue?”

Alex nods his head again and Jack goes into the bathroom to grab the tissue box.

“Thanks”

Jack notices Alex’s voice is kind of raspy and he really hopes that Alex isn’t getting like strep throat or something because they have shows to play and that would not be good. Alex has curled back up on the couch and is looking up at Jack with a pout.

“Jack, it’s cold in here.”

“It’s like 80 degrees in here, Alex.”

Alex frowns, “But I’m cold.”

Jack gets up to get the thermometer because if Alex is cold right now he has to be running a fever and he knows Matt would take Alex’s temperature if he was here.

“Open your mouth.”

Alex shakes his head, keeping his mouth closed.

“Alex, come on, bro.”

Alex pouts and shakes his head again.

“What if I get you ice cream if you let me take your temperature?”

“Okay.”

Jack sticks the thermometer in and then waits for it to beep. Alex makes a face and coughs but manages to sit pretty still. Jack pulls it out and frowns, its 103.6.

“Can I have ice cream now?” Alex asks looking up at Jack.

“No, sick people don’t get ice cream.”

Jack takes the thermometer back to the bathroom and gets Alex a glass of water. When he gets back Alex looks on the verge of tears.

“What’s wrong?”

“You said I could have ice cream.” Alex’s voice is low and Jack wonders if he has a sore throat.

“Does your throat hurt?”

“Jaaaack” Alex whines.

“Dude, I’m not getting you ice cream, you’re sick, you shouldn’t eat ice cream. You need stuff like soup.”

Alex scowls, “I don’t want soup.”

He coughs into his arm again and it sounds painful. Jack rubs his back until Alex’s coughing subsides.

“Do you want me to make you anything?”

Alex shakes his head and Jack frowns, “You really should eat something.”

“My stomach hurts.” And Alex sounds so sad that Jack reaches over and wraps his arm around the singer, pulling him into a hug. Alex snuggles into his side reveling in how warm Jack is.

“Does it hurt bad?”

“I feel kinda queasy.”

Jack pulls back, “Do not throw up on me.”

Alex pouts and makes to pull Jack back to him, “I’m serious Alex.”

Alex buries his face in Jack’s neck and sighs and Jack leans them back against the couch and just listens to Alex breathing. He nose is stuffed so he’s breathing through his mouth and Jack finds that completely adorable. He’s thankful Alex isn’t drooling on him though cause that would not be adorable. He’s already really worried that Alex’s ‘queasy’ stomach is going to revolt all over him.

It takes a few minutes for Jack to realize that Alex has fallen asleep. He doesn’t want to disturb Alex but he also isn’t sure he can sit here doing nothing while Alex sleeps against him. He’s a little nervous about turning the TV on, he doesn’t want to wake Alex up but he’s going to get bored and he’s not tired enough to nap.

Eventually his boredom outweighs his concern for waking Alex and he switches on the TV. He settles for the Disney channel and if anyone asks it’s because there was seriously nothing else on. He gets through an episode and a half of Hannah Montana before Alex starts to stir, he stretches and slowly opens his eyes. Jack smiles at him and rubs his back gently. Alex just sighs and readjusts to snuggle further into Jack’s side.

“Are you watching Hannah Montana?” Alex’s voice is quiet and raspy but there’s a hint of a snicker. Jack pokes his side causing Alex to giggle and squirm.

“Shut up.”

Alex giggles again and turns his attention to the TV. He yawns and it’s obvious he’s still pretty sleepy and Jack catches his eyes falling shut a few times.

“If you’re still tired you can go back to sleep.”

“m’not” Alex mumbles and Jack laughs.

“Why don’t you want to sleep, Lex? You’re sick, you need to rest so you feel better.”

Alex just shrugs and Jack decides not to push it.

They snuggle on the couch for a while longer before Alex starts to get restless. He shifts but can’t seem to get comfortable. He whines and moves again accidently hitting Jack in the chin with the top of his head.

“Ow. Stop moving.”

“I can’t” Alex pouts and pulls his knees up to his chest. “Jack, I really don’t feel good.”

“Do you think you’re going to be sick?”

Alex just nods his head, making sure to keep his mouth firmly closed. He gets up from the couch and heads toward the bathroom and Jack isn’t sure whether he’s supposed to follow Alex or leave him be. He decides to hang back for a few minutes because he doubts Alex really wants him hovering over him as he gets sick. It's a only a few minutes before Alex calls for him.

Jack practically sprints down the hall as soon as Alex calls his name. He finds Alex sitting on his knees in front of the toilet.

“I threw up.”

Jack grimaces and reaches past Alex to flush, “I can see that, buddy. Come on.” He gripes Alex under his arms and pulled him to his feet. He holds Alex up so he can brush his teeth and splash water on his face. He then heaves Alex back down the hall and into the lounge, making sure to grab a trash can just in case.

He lays Alex out on the couch and throws a blanket over him, putting the trash can next to his head.

“You’re not leaving are you?” Alex sounds so sad and pathetic and Jack immediately shakes his head.

“Lift your head up.”

Alex does as he’s told and Jack sits down on the couch letting Alex rest his head back on his lap. He runs his fingers through Alex’s sweaty hair and gently places his hand over Alex’s upset stomach.

“Thanks, Jack.”

“It’s what best friends are for.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Cause I have nothing better to do with my life.