‹ Prequel: Crowded Room
Sequel: Heaven Can Wait

Thinking of Winter

Jace

It was winter again, the snow was falling in swirls around me. Paulie and I were currently shopping for gifts for everyone. Of course, we have yet to buy something for each other. On the way to the subway, I felt my phone vibrate. "Hold up," I said, switching some bags to my other hand and pulling my phone out. Answering it, I said, "Hello?"

"Jace! It's Jarrek, I need you to get to the house! Quickly!" At that, he hung up. I saw Paulie give me a look of worry and concern. Letting out a sigh, I motioned him to follow me.

"I'll explain on the way," I said as we ran down the stairs to the station.

Time Elapse

Jumping two steps at a time with bags threatening to fall off and gifts close to falling out. Once I made it to the top where Jarrek was, I saw a pale and passed out Liam on a mattress. "I came home and I found him with bloodied wrists and out. I cleaned him up and bandaged the wounds." He let out a shaking sigh. "I've been trying everything, but I can't get him out to the car."

Setting bags aside, I grabbed the shoulders of Liam and looked at Jarrek. "Grab his feet and let's get him to the hospital. The longer he's here, the closer he is to death." Lifting him up with ease, we slowly and carefully carried Liam to Jarrek's car.

Once we settled him in the back, I looked at Jarrek. "Hand your keys over," I said, holding my hand out.

"Why would I do that?" he asked, cocking an eyebrow. I stared at him for a long moment.

"I know I may be a partial reason as to why this happened, but seeing how you two have been acting lately, you're more to blame here," I said, my gaze never faltering. "Now, hand over your keys." He tossed them over to me and got in the back seat. With Paulie in the passenger side, I slid in the driver's seat and started the car. Within minutes, we were speeding towards the hospital.

Time Elapse

Jarrek wouldn't talk to me or Paulie most of the time we were waiting to hear about Liam. He kept to himself and sat on the other side of the waiting room. Paulie told me to go talk to him, maybe get a clue as to what was going on.

Walking over to him, I sat down across from him and got settled. "What's going on between you and Liam?" I asked point-blank.

"Nothing," he said, not bothering look up at me. Getting angered, I stood up and pulled him up.

"What the hell is going on between you two?!" I asked, before I shoved him back into his chair and fell to my knees.

"I dated him out of pity," he said after a long moment. "I felt bad for him after you left and thought that if I lead him to believe I truly cared enough to love him, he would find more of a reason to keep his head up."

"I've got to talk to him, whether he wants to or not," I said, looking at the doors that lead to where the room in which held Liam. Without caring who was listening, I said, "I've got to tell him I love him."