‹ Prequel: Crowded Room
Sequel: Heaven Can Wait

Thinking of Winter

Chapter Two: Ryder (Jace)/Jarrek

Taking a long hit of my cigarette, I blew the smoke out of my nose and watched the busy bodies of New Jersey face the day. After moving here, I felt empty, dead, but I didn't let that hold me down enough to where I couldn't get a job.

Currently, I was working at fast food restaurant to maintain a reasonable living. Yes, I am making much less since leaving New York and the club, but at least I had a roof over my head. Taking one last hit off my cigarette, I threw it on the ground and ground it with my shoe until it was out. Placing the uniform hat on, I made my way back inside and behind the counter.

"Ryder!" I heard Ginger call, making me look up at her at the drive-thru window. "Your brother's here!" Ah, shit.

"Cover for me," I whispered, running towards the back door of the joint. I had shown everyone Zeth's picture as well as the others so that if any of them decided to come to Jersey, I could hide somewhere here or at one of their places. I knew it would only be a matter of time before someone came to find me.

Opening the door slightly, I peaked through and saw the Zeth at the menu. "Shit!" I knew no one would recognize me too easily. I dyed my hair blonde, used make-up to make me look more feminine yet still look like a guy, cut my hair and spiked it, and put contacts in to make my eyes go from brown to blue. Taking a deep breath, I prayed for the best and walked out.

Making sure the door was locked behind me, I casually strode away from the door and into the bright sunlight. Again, leaving what few people I trusted behind. I'd be back tomorrow.

Jarrek

I finally was able to convince Liam to come stay for a while, at least until Zeth returned -- which we both knew could be a long ways away. It took him a while to eat, but eventually he couldn't take the growling of his stomach any longer and, in a short time, ate any and all edible food that was in the house.

"You know you'd get your job back if you came back to the club," I said, sitting down with him at the kitchen table. Liam looked at me for a long moment, sadness raging deep in his eyes.

"I know," he said, just barely over a whisper. "I can't, though. Too many memories, both good and bad. I can't work in that place again. At least, not for a while."

"You've been on the streets for four months, barely getting anything. Why won't you stay with me? Or Zeth? I asked, reaching my hand out and gripping his wrist. He pulled back instantly and stood up.

"I can't! You both remind me too much of ... of him! Especially Zeth!" he said. I stood up, grabbing him and pushing him against the wall.

"Listen here, Emerson. I won't let you step out on those streets again unless you have your own home, a job, or are staying with one of us," I said, my voice deadly. "I already lost a really good -- or what I thought was a real good -- friend. I'm not losing you too."

Liam stared down at me, and I could see his heart breaking. "I can't..." he whispered, his voice trailing off.

"You need to. If I know anything about the Peters boys, they get shit done. Especially Zeth. He'll find Jace, kick his ass for leaving, and then drag his ass back here by his nostrils," I said, watching Liam cringe at the sound of Jace's name.

"Where can I get a job that isn't the club?" he asked, looking as if he were done putting up a fight. I thought for a long moment before answering him.

"That five-star restaurant about six blocks away from it, they pay the same as if you were a bouncer. They need a chef, and if what I tasted back when you and ... him had me over that one night is indication, you've got some mad skills," I said, causing both of us to laugh.

"I do, don't I?" he said, more laughter bubbling up in him. I saw a bit of light reach his eyes, but the darkness still seemed to be going strong.

"Come on, let's get you into more suiting clothes and go get that job, and no. You're not paying me back for this, I just want you under a roof. Is that too much to ask?" Liam shook his head and gave me a ghost of his famous lopsided grin.

Gripping my shoulders, he pressed his forehead against mine and said, "Thanks, bar keep." I gripped his shoulders back and smiled.

"Any time, bouncer boy."