‹ Prequel: Crowded Room
Sequel: Heaven Can Wait

Thinking of Winter

Jace

The day arrived, and the kids were now home and were now ours. I looked at Andrée for a long moment before setting her gently into her crib. She moved a bit, but she didn't awaken. Zeth and Liam currently were taking care of Ryder and Dante, their hushed voices coming through the walls.

Once the babies were in their respectful beds, the three of us joined Paulie in the living room. "All three are asleep," I said, waiting for Liam to sit down before sitting down next to him, snuggling close to him. Wrapping his arm around my shoulders, he kissed my forehead and smiled warmly at me.

"I never thought I'd be a dad," he said, his eyes shining with utter happiness. I could tell through it though that he wished his father could have met them. I truly wished my parents could meet them, too, as well as Liam.

I looked over at Zeth and Paulie who were staring at each with love shining through both of their eyes. I knew it was only a matter of time before they'd be walking down the aisle. I rested my head on Liam's shoulders, my eyes beginning to droop. Before I fell into my dream world, I faintly heard Liam say, "Good night, my love," and kiss my forehead.

Time Elapse

I awoke the next morning to the sound of crying. First checking on the boys, I realized Andrée was the one who was awake. Walking into her room, I quickly closed the distance and picked her up, realizing that she was wet and hungry.

Quickly getting her changed and into clean, dry clothes, I went to the fridge, grabbed a bottle and started running some warm water. Once I had warmed up the bottle to a reasonable temp, I sat on the couch and put the nipple to her mouth. "All better," I cooed, watching her as her hand grabbed one of my fingers.

I swear I saw a faint smile, causing a smile to appear on my own face. In a hushed, singing voice, I said, "When I dream, I'll be dreaming of Noreen, and the love I'll be leaving behind me. And the twilight will always remind me, of my Noreen, Mo Stoirin, my love."

Andrée watched me as she finished her bottle, and when I didn't immediately continue, I saw her face scrunch up as if she were going to cry. Removing the now emptied bottle, I set her up as I went to burp her, remembering the next verse. "Every night, I'll be thinking of Noreen, and the way I would cuddle and kiss her. Every bone in my body will miss her. My Noreen, Mo Stoirin, my love."

I rocked back and forth a bit, as I continued lightly patting her back. "I curse the day that I left her, and the people who drove me away. It's worse than I ever imagined, oh God, it gets harder each day." I hadn't realized the others were in the room as I continued to sing, not realizing I was thinking of the day I left Liam.

"So I pray when my exile is over, with the pain and the heartache behind us. Back in the peace of the valley you'll find us, my Noreen, Mo Stoirin, and me. Back in the peace of the valley, that's where we will be, my Noreen, Mo Stoirin, and me." I felt the tears fall down my face and then heard Andrée burp. I gently set her comfortably in my arms and smiled warmly down at her. "Just know, my dear daughter, I am surprised your father took me back. I sure didn't deserve to have another chance."

Andrée gurgled, causing me to laugh a little bit. I wiped away my tears, and then let out a small sigh as I watched the beautiful little girl I held in my arms. She and her brothers were going to be so loved, and they would know every single day until the day I died.