‹ Prequel: Crowded Room
Sequel: Heaven Can Wait

Thinking of Winter

Jarrek/Ryder

This was definitely new. I mean, I've kissed before, but never a guy. All I knew was that I couldn't help but respond to his kiss .. his touch. Next thing I knew, I was allowing him to remove my shirt, the chill of the night sending shivers down my spine.

"Are you cold? We don't have to do this here," Liam said, his calloused hands trailing slowly down my arms and around my waist. I shook my head.

"It's new to me, but it feels real good," I said, opening my eyes a bit and looking up at the face of the man who's been hurt so much. I pressed my lips against his, and before I knew what was happening, we were on the ground. In that instant, I felt something I've never felt before in my life with anyone ... and I was scared.

Ryder

I woke up, went to the kitchen and looked out the window of my apartment. I haven't gone back to the restaurant, I couldn't risk going back there knowing that Zeth would be keeping an eye on it. Ginger called me and told me someone back in New York passed away, but I knew Zeth. I knew him too well.

Walking into the bathroom, I looked in the mirror and raked a hand through my bleach blonde hair. Removing my contacts, I stared into the depths of my brown eyes. I looked horrible. Bags under my eyes, my hair cropped short and dyed a color that makes me look sickly, and the major weightloss. What was I doing to myself?

I heard a knock on the door and quickly put my contacts in. Quietly walking through the apartment, I looked through the peep hole and saw Ginger, a look of sadness in her eyes. Leaning against the door, I felt my eyes well up and let the tears fall over.

Walking to the window, I whispered, "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." I didn't know who I was saying it to -- me, Ginger, or Liam -- all I knew was I was in so much pain. Crawling out the window, I tossed my apartment on the floor, and closed the window behind me. Climbing down the fire escape, I let out a deep sigh when my feet hit the sidewalk. That was when I heard the familiar rumble of a 1976 Mustang. Here we go.

Taking a deep breath, I slipped off my shoes and ran, hoping to god I could find a place to hang low.