Status: Work in progress!

Smoke on the Water

celebrate our graduation somehow.

“And so,” the valedictorian’s voice boomed through the speakers placed on the football field, “I say the words all our seniors have waited to hear for four long years: seniors of 2012,” an almost audible exhilaration rushed through the crowd, “class dismissed.”

And with that final statement, the school bell rang off and the crowd of two thousand some kids roared with delight. Finally, after working their butts off at the prestigious New York City private school, the seniors could hold their diplomas issued to them and officially say they are ‘high school graduates’. The caps flew in the air as the new graduates hugged and kissed their friends, and screamed in the perfect summer day.

Each of the students there had high ambitions in life. They wouldn’t be at the sixty-thousand-dollar-a- year private school if they didn’t. And for one young woman, this graduation did not only mean a start to an adult life, but also the chance to be with her love.

“Natasha!” Brody screamed as he swerved through the crowd to get to his long-time girlfriend. It took some careful maneuvering, but finally he was able to get to her, pick her up from the waist and kiss her to celebrate their new accomplishment.

“Can you believe it?” Natasha asked when Brody had put her back on her feet. “High school graduates,” she said as she showed him her diploma. In big bold letters it read:
to Natasha Hutchinson, a diploma signifying the successful completion of four years at New York City Private School of Scholars.

Natasha took a look at his diploma which was nearly identical except the name: Brandon Baxter. Brandon was never a name that Brody liked. Instead, he chose the nick-name Brody and ever since Elementary School, it just stuck with him. The only person that ever called him Brandon, was his own mother when she was cross with him.

“I know right. Seems like just yesterday we were freshman and our parent’s were dropping us off at our dorms,” he said as he replayed the memory in his head. “And now, were going off to college,” Brody continued.

Natasha nodded and took her boyfriends hand in hers. “Come on. We have to find Ana and Jack.”

On the way to the parking lot, Natasha and Brody hugged and congratulated their fellow graduates on the end of this new journey. It took about twenty minutes before all the goodbyes were done being said and Natasha and Brody were headed to the car where Amy and her boyfriend Jack were already waiting inside for them. On the back window of the Black BMW were written the words ‘Just Graduated’ in sloppy handwriting; most likely Jack’s.

On the sight of them, Amy quickly got out of the car and hugged Natasha as tight as she could. “Oh my God! I can’t believe we graduated! We graduated!” Amy screamed at her best friend. They were practically like sisters; always supportive of each other, there for each other when times get rough, everyone deserves to have a friend like that.

After another round of hugs was given, Brody, Natasha and Amy got in the car with Jack in the driver’s seat. Amy took the passenger’s seat, while Natasha and Brody took the back. “Alright everyone,” Jack said to the passengers in the car. “Where are we going to celebrate this wonderful accomplishment of ours?”

Amy was the first to pipe up, “Oh! There’s a lovely little bistro on Fifth Avenue and Broadway. I hear they have incredible Italian food.”

“We should go there, I love Italian food,” Natasha said. “Brody, do you like Italian?”

“Oh come on, Natasha! You’ve been dating him for over three years now and you still don’t know if your boyfriend likes Italian food or not?” Amy says to the pair of them causing laughter throughout the car. Jack starts up the engine, and proceeds to carefully ride out of the campus.

“So what that we’ve dated for three years! It doesn’t mean that I know everything about him,” Natasha explained. “It’s the mystery of each other that keeps us in love,” Natasha said while steeling a kiss from Brody’s lips.

Jack looks at them through the rear-view window and gags. “Blehh. Get a room, you two!”

“What the hell are you complaining about?” Brody asks him. “You and Amy practically have sex any chance you get, at a decent time or not!”

Jack couldn’t argue there. Shortly after Jack and Amy started dating, they started making love. At first it was just in the dorm-rooms, then the bathrooms, then the cafeteria, behind the football bleachers…. On more than one occasion did the two of them get caught by the headmasters for ‘shameful and inappropriate conduct on school grounds’.

It only took about 5 minutes to get to Broadway from the private school. That was one of the many perks of NYC Private School of Scholars; easy access to amazing food, shopping centers and atmosphere. It didn’t hurt that almost every student at the school adored city life.

Once they group had found a decent parking spot, they abandoned their car and walked a block toward the bistro. The bistro was nothing too grand but had a nice, cozy feel to it. Like you could come with your family and enjoy a good lunch or dinner. Almost no one else was in the bistro besides the employees and a couple sitting near the back. Then again, who else would be here on a Friday at three in the afternoon; almost everyone would be at work.

A chirpy yet attractive waitress sat the group of four at the table and took their order. Amy – a garden salad with chicken, Jack – pork sirloins, and Natasha and Brody would split a Lobster Bisque.

The orders arrived relatively swiftly, and the group dug into their Italian meals. “So what’s the plan from now?” Amy asked the group. “After graduation, I mean.”

“Well,” Jack started off. “I was thinking maybe college, but I was considering pole-dancing as a possible career,” he said jokingly which received laughs from everyone.

“Pole dancer? With your scrawny legs? You wouldn’t be able to hoist yourself up two feet on a pole!” Natasha retorted.

After a few laughs, the subject returned back to normal. “But seriously, what do you think you’ll do after this,” Amy asked Natasha and Brody.

“Well my parents are expecting me to go to Columbia and get a Business Law degree, just like they did,” Natasha shrugged.

“And you don’t want to?” Jack inquired.

“No! I hate Business Law. I tried looking into the subject and just researching it made me bored to death. What I’m planning to do is go to Temple University and study Forensic Science,” Natasha said. “I just haven’t told my parents that yet,” she added sheepishly.

In all honesty, Natasha would really want to tell them but was scared to death of their reaction. They have more money than she does. If Natasha goes to Columbia, her parents would automatically rent her the best apartment, pay for all tuition and books; it would be like free ride to Natasha. But for what price? She hated the idea of studying Business Law. And even more, she hated the idea of being away from Brody while he was at Temple University in Philadelphia studying Kinesiology.

“Forensic Science?” Amy asked. “That’s a bit different that Business Law, I must say. What got you interested in Forensics?”

“I don’t really know actually,” Natasha replied. “I took a minor class for it and I really enjoyed it. I started searching about it online, and it was really fascinating. You make quite a lot of money in that field, as well.”

“Well I’m glad you found something that you’ll be able to love,” Jack said to her as he raised his glass of Cola and gave a toast. “Here’s to our future,” he said and everyone clicked glasses.

“I just can’t believe we’re going to live together,” Brody said smiling. “You and me, in Philadelphia, going to the same college, staying in the same dorm…” his words trailed off. “It’s going to be amazing.”

“Yeah, I just hope my parents see it that way,” Natasha says while resting her head on Brody’s shoulder.

“You two are so cute together,” Amy cooed at them.

The group didn’t say anything until they finished their lunches and were ready to head out. “What do you think? Movie night, tonight?” Amy asked Brody and Natasha.

Natasha was about to reply ‘yes’ when Brody interrupted her, “Actually, Natasha and I already have plans for this evening,” and through a wink at Natasha.

“We do?”

“Yes, we do. Well we have to celebrate our graduation somehow tonight?” he said with a coy smile on his face. Natasha looked at him with naughty eyes and wondered what he had in mind.

“I don’t have to meet my parent’s until tomorrow night, I’m free ‘till then,” Natasha explained.

“Perfect! Then, we’ll head out,” Brody said to the group before leaving forty dollars on the table to cover the entire bill.

“Thanks man!” Jack replied to him.

“Don’t mention it,” Brody explained.

“Have fun tonight!” Amy waved as Brody held the door open for Natasha.

And they were most certainly going to have fun.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well, here's the first chapter. I know, I know. It's not much and very boring. But I have to establish the characters and relationships first, before I get to the good part. I promise it's coming. BTW: this story is written for a Drama Contest so expect many twists and turns in the near future.

Please comment and subscribe and tell me what you thing. How to make it better? I love opinions!